US vs Paraguay

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by omsdogg, Jul 2, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i agree completely...was going to post that before i left last night but i was too pissed! I thought Benny was our outstanding all night long. His through ball that sprung Mapp free was a thing of beauty.

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

man oh man watching this was like deja vu. i was hoping to great a break from fulham this summer, not relive the frustration/agony/heart attack through the usmnt team - jv squad or not.

EJ is border-line total rubbish. i thought Zack Morris, er, Twellman played wayy better this game. but can anyone explain why twellman he ALWAYS pulls his shorts up? he looks like he's wearing hot pants.

when Moor headed the ball DIRECTLY to the goalie, ray hudson emphatically said it best:

"the finishing here is crap."

3. martin

martin New Member

I am impressed with Benny, too. We may be looking at a future captain.

I am not too concerned with the Copa results because we obviously have a B squad down there. But we clearly need to give some other forwards a shot. EJ and Twellman just aren't good enough. They have had their opportunities, now it is time to look at someone else. I think developing some new talent up front will be Bradley's biggest challenge in the run-up to 2010.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Here is my assessment of the players:

Keller- Thank you for your service on the national team. We wish you the best in finding a new club for the upcoming year. Now it's pine time for the last game while Guzan plays.

Moor- I thought he was up and down throughout the match, but that header near the end was atrocious. I don't care if he's a RB, you have to force the goalie to make a save when you're that unmarked and the ball is right to you. Take some notes from Tommy Smyth and aim that header DOWN to the ground at the very least. Cherundolo is basking in the sun knowing his spot is sealed.

Demerit- not as solid as he was against Argentina in my opinion, but he did a decent job against two good strikers (Santa Cruz and Cardozo). I think it's a three way competition for the CB spot next to Boca between him, Conrad, and Gooch...but I give the edge slightly to Demerit.

Conrad- i thought he had a solid game with the exception of allowing that back pass to go through. you can't do that against good strikers, they will make you pay. still, in competition for that other CB spot in my opinion.

Bornstein- was terrific in the first half and a "Knightmare" in the second (no pun intended Zat). Don has been calling for Heath Pearce and I second the notion. In my opinion, not having a left back cost us from advancing in the World Cup and from what I've seen that position is still unsolved. I sure hope Heath is the answer.

will continue with the rest in another post

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Kljestan- he had his moments as well. I though he did a terrific job of covering a lot of ground. he still has a lot of improving to do, but I thought he linked well with Benny on a few 1-2's. he has to learn that you HAVE to track your player after they make a pass...several times his man played a 1-2 and he was slow in following. but I think he will get better. keep him in the mix for a reserve spot I say.

Clark- was outstanding. anyone know how old he is? the knock on him was that he holds the ball too long but i thought he did a good job of getting it out quickly. his goal was well taken and he was robbed of another one unfortunately.

Feilhaber- from now on i'm calling him Benny "the Maestro". He's a little magician out there in my opinion. still makes some mistakes, but man is he good on the ball. I think he's locked up a spot in midfield for 2010 qualifying and I'm excited to see his growth in the next few years.

Olsen- i barely noticed he was out there.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Twellman- Twellman to me does everything except for finish. He does a good job of laying the ball off to teammates for chances like on the Clark goal, but a striker's job is to score goals and he's had plenty of chances.

Johnson- I'm frustrated at MLS...they had an offer from a portugal team (I think Benfica of Sporting) of like 5 million for Johnson and they turned it down. Whatever it was, it was a mistake cuz this guy to me has only gotten worse. I don't care about his club form this year w/ KC...he missed the target countless times in this match, does not pressure the opposing defenders when they intercept the ball allowing them too much time on the ball to find teammates, and he doesn't look to make runs into channels where his speed can be effective (not to mention Benny would probably find him for several break-away chances). Sorry EJ, but you are blowing it!!!

7. Markus

Markus Member

must....learn...to finish.....ugh.

Over the last 2 months, Both competitions our finishing has been hooorible.
    Ching's mexico flops
    Duce's goalie love shots
    Beas wide open poster
    Argie chances
    last night capped them all.

8. Markus

Markus Member

Rico Clark is 24. I'm happy I get the chance to see him play week in and week out with Hou

9. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Subs:

Mapp- I think Bradley may have found Mapp's role. Bring him off the bench when the other team is tiring and let him try to make something happen. My only complaint against him is he tries too beat one too many guys on the other team. he usually gets by the first and sometimes second...now he's got to get his head up and find someone cuz they are there (albeit they can't finish). But we were much more lively when he came on yesterday and that chip he had would've been a class goal, but he was inches high. no i don't blame him for not passing to EJ...do you really think he would've put it away? my point exactly.

Califf- actually I thought he did good...thought that the foul called on him was harsh even though he was pushing the guy...but on the reply the guy was holding him from getting up. i am going to follow him to see how he does over in Denmark.

Nguyen- didn't see enough of him to rate him, but did notice he had some pace.

What have we accomplished so far at Copa America? In my opinion, Keller is too old to be Howard's backup...time for Seitz. EJ and Twellman can't cut it right now...leaving the striker spot wide open. (anyway we can convince Rossi to play for us?) Bornstein is far from claiming the left back spot which is as undetermined as was before the World Cup. Cherundolo's right back spot is safe. Clark and Feilhaber look very formidable for the future in the middle of the park.

what do you want to see for the last match against Columbia? I want to see Beckerman go 90. Every time I watch Colorado, this guy is everywhere!!! I want to see him get a run out and see what he can do. I also want to see Pearce at left back, and Hercules Gomez and Charlie Davies....i have no idea who he is...but let's see this guy. can he be worse then EJ and Twellman?

10. tibor

tibor New Member

Thanks for the insights omsdogg. I forgot to record the game and only got home in time to watch the last 10 min.

11. martin

martin New Member

Amen to that! Run Davies and Gomez out there and see what they can do. Maybe one of them can actually finish.

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

no problem. i just stayed after work and watched right here on univisions website. i've never heard an announcer pronounce somone's name (Bornstein) in so many different ways!!!! Sorry I couldn't report after a better outcome.

13. tibor

tibor New Member

ah cool, I should have done that too. Now onto the 3rd and final game for the U.S...

Free Charlie Davies, I want to know what he's all about. And it's time for Feilhaber to graduate to the 'real' team. He's shown enough.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

none of my business; just wondering ... I enjoyed the running commentary this morning of the match I didn't have a chance to watch, but ... how come you guys didn't take it to the chatroom?

15. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. Well said tibor.