Memorable Sports Moments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Oct 1, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Houston has been involved in some classics. The AFC Championship game (I think it was the championship) when Buffalo came from behind by like 30 pts or something to win the game, with backup Frank Reich at QB. And after moving to Tennesee....the Superbowl against St. Louis where the guy tackled Dyson at the goal line...and then of course the Music City Miracle win over the Bills.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

That interview with Wynalda.

Whoever that guy was that did the interview, he was the coolest.

Beer anyone?

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I love this topic.

As a kid, I bled Dodger blue so I have three top Dodger memories.

The '77 playoff game vs the Phillies when the aging Vic Davillio and Manny Mota (greatest pinch hitter of all time) come in to orchestrate a ninth inning, two out comback is one of my favs.

The 1981 LA Dodger season was great. Fernando mania for one. Then a strike so the season is split in two and as a result the Dodgers have to play the Astros in a mini division playoff. The Dodgers go down 2 - 0 in the series but come back to win the next three games to win the division. They beat Montreal in NL playoffs and then again go down 2 - 0 to Yankees in the World Series. Again they come back to win the series and get their revenge against the Yankees.

Finally of course the Kirk Gibson homerun against the overwhelmingly favored A's in the world series.

However, the best moments transcend your personal favorite teams and sports. They are the ones that everyone remembers.

I will never forget the 1980 US Men's Hockey team's victory over Russia. I knew nothing about hockey then and now. I listened to that game on the radio coming home from a tennis tournament. My older brother was driving. When the USA won, he was too excited to drive so he pulled over to the side of the highway. We all got out of the van and started to jump and cheer. Then we noticed many other cars pulled over doing the same. This was in the middle of nowhere Illinois. Incredible.

Also, NC State's last second win over U of Houston (Olajawon (Sp?) and Drexler on that team) in the NCAA Championship.

Finally, if any of us could remember do you think that we could ever forget Bob Beamon's record breaking long jump in the Mexico City Oympics - a miracle. Or, Jesse Owens.

4. psand22

psand22 Member

I would agree with ya ClevelandMo on 2 of yours. My fave has to be the NC State Wolfpack out dunking Houston's Phi Slamma Jamma (2-1) in 1983 for the championship...

I'll never forget watching Kirk Gibson hit that game winning homerun. "I don't believe what I just saw."...

But all memories are of the happy variety. Just ask any Mets fan today. What really sticks with me, is when I heard that Len Bias had died. You know how you can remember where you were when you first heard it. I was working on the windmill at Wacky Golf (minature golf course in Myrtle Beach), when it came over the radio station that was playing. I still can't believe it....

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Fulham v Chelsea, December of 2006
    Volzy opens it up early then WGDTFC come back and score two to take the lead. I thought we were done. Then do-do-do Carlos Bocaenegra gets the 83rd minute equalizer. Its memorable mainly because I was there, it was only the second game I'd ever been to. Fulham fans were singing the whole match.

Minnesota v Colorado 2003 NHL Western Conference semi-final
    In the seven game series Colorado who were at their height at this time won three games in a row to take a 3-1 lead in the series. Minnesota went on to win the next two games to take it to game seven. Game 7 went to overtime, in which Andrew Brunette won it for Minnesota. The goal will stick with me forever. INCREDIBLE.

A few honorable mentions...
    2004 World Cup of Hockey quarter final, it was in Saint Paul, my dad scored tickets at the last minute. We beat the Russians 5-3 on the back of FOUR goals from Keith Tkachuck

2007 Gold Cup Final, I made the trek to the Chicago for this one. The USA came from behind and to beat Mexico. The Mexican crowd went from very loud to very quiet to very mad and then they threw a lot of beer. Whats not to love?

2002 Solhiem Cup, Was at Interlachen in Minnesota. I attended the last two days. US started the last day down to Europe by two but won the singles 8 1/2 to 3 1/2. Laugh if you like but little compares to watching top notch professional golf in person and the best form of golf is match play, particularly when we kick Europe's sorry butts.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

In fact Don, it's good someone else remembered that Houston Miami game, cause I dont.

Besides the famous 1975 Series 'game 6' which is on EVERYONE's list, and the hockey game over Russia, which I saw on tv... My kids HS soccer team in the state Div III championship game, 1986. Set the tone for my frustration.. lost 3-1. Worse because the OTHER team was just 2 students short of qualifying for Div II {for that year only} and we shouldnt have had to play them

The Crew being down to 9 players and coming back from one down to beat NY 3-2

I recall other favorites that are not single game specific.

Watching the Reds in person in mid seventies.. they were so good only those with comp tickets left when the Reds were behind in the top of the 9th. I vividly recall Bench batting in the winners in two separate games.

I've actually followed the Oakland Raiders closely TWICE; the first when George Blanda was finishing his career on a fantastic run, for a 40 year old.. and watching Ken Stabler, who practically invented the 2 minute drill.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Fog, speaking of Kenny "The Snake" Stabler and the Oakland Raiders... One of the great games of all time Oakland beating the old Baltimore Colts at Memorial Stadium in a 2 OT playoff classic (1977, still remember watching the game as an 11 year at a friend's house). Plus two crazy endings; The one that went for them..."The Holy Roller" where the Raiders intentionally fumbled and kicked the ball into the endzone (around 1980) versus the Chargers. I can still hear the late great Raiders radio announcer Bill King 'Madden wants to know if its real, the ref says yes, get your big butt outta here, he does'. And the one that went against them the "Immaculate Reception" when Franco Harris came out of nowhere, picked up the riccocheted ball just above the turf and ran down the sidelines as the Steelers knocked The Raiders out of the playoffs in 1972 (can't say I saw that one, only on NFL Films).

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

After I thought about it, when the game had been over for a few days, I decided that was the most exciting NFL game I ever saw. The old landmark was the Miami-San Diego hitch and pitch game at the Orange Bowl. I was 13 and I remember it well.

Also, as far as soccer, so help me Man U vs Bayern Munich in 1999. Holy Smokes. The look on Mattheus' face was just incredible, like Repo Santa Claus came down the chimney and took all of his presents :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, seeing LeBron at the Q anytime is a treat, even if he has a (rare) bad game. And LeBron, wear wheatever damn hat you want and root for whoever you want too -- sheesh, there are some people in Cleveland who need more to do with their time.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Also, the last soccer game I played in high school was pretty memorable for the wrong reason -- It went to penalty kicks in our tournament, our first guy up hit the left post, and they scored. (Our keeper was totally through by this time, he probably couldn't have stopped a beachball). The next guy hit the RIGHT post and they scored again. The third guy missed, they scored, and it was goodnight Irene. If anyone at any level has rattled 2 posts in a penalty shootout, at any level, it's news to me

10. RDG

RDG Member

Live:
    - 1986 World Series, Game Six;
    - NL Playoffs 1973 (first post-season games for me with my favorite baseball fan -- my mother) Oh, that includes the Rose-Harrelson fight:
    - First match at the Cottage (ok, so I'm a late bloomer!) defeating NU 1-0 (Steeeeeeeeeeeeed);
    - 1994 NHL semi final game 6 (whew!);

TV:
    - The WBNA finals (game 2) where T-spoon sunk a shot from half court;
    - Bills defeating the Oilers in the playoffs;
    - World Cup: USA-0 - Brazil-1 -- showed the USA could compete with the big boys;
    - MU-1 - FFC-0 -- 14 Feb 1999: when I knew I really was a Fulham fan;

Not seen, but wished I had:
    - MU defeating Bayern Munich in added time;
    - Australia-South Africa in the cricket World Cup where the outcome came down to the final ball;
    - England's rugby WC victory;
    - 1966 (Don't mention the war!)

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Just remembered the Syracuse vs. Georgia NCAA Tournament from like 1996. I think that was the year...cuz Syracuse went on to the final against Kentucky. Syracuse Jason Cipolla hit a fadeaway baseline jumper to send the game to overtime, then in overtime the teams went back and forth at the end of the game with each team hitting some big shots. John Wallace hit the game winner for Syracuse and it was for sure a classic NCAA Tourney game.

12. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Two words... Donnie Moore.
    I was & am a huge Angels fan, but I never booed the man then.
    And I have never booed at sporting events since.

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Re: RE: Memorable Sports Moments

I admire Buckner for how he has handled not punching Sox fans who are still mad at him, 20 plus years and 2 WS wins later, and feel pity for their fans who are still so wrapped up in what happened that they still spew hatred, like he killed their dog. I also think it's great that in a movie that is out now, (I can't remember the name), he does a spoof of the ball going through his legs, and the reason he agreed to do it was so that his daughter, who is a young actress, could get hired in the movie. That is an outstanding man and father.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Re: RE: Memorable Sports Moments

what movie is that rcl? that's pretty cool of him

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Just happened to find this thread and looked at Sean Davis' goal against Blackburn to getus promoted, as FFC was a man down...

Good stuff indeed :banana:

Also, Omsdogg, the movie was The Comebacks, from 2007, and starred Stacy Keibler's legs in a brief role. 2 years later and I got your answer, even USPS could have got it there faster.