Memorable Sports Moments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by omsdogg, Oct 1, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone can put in what to them are memorable moments in sports. also, if you have a link to a video clip put that in as well so we can watch it. It can be anything that happens w/in any sporting event.

I'll go with Boise State vs. Oklahoma for starters. Absolutely ridiculous all those trick plays Boise was pulling out. Here's the two highlight plays from the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4s8vdzYwFU&mode=related&search=

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

1983 -- Baltimore at home to Toronto Blue Jays on Cal Ripken's birthday. The most amazing baseball game ever. So many managerial swaps that the Baltimore infield at one point consisted of Eddie Murray at first, two outfielders and a designated hitter. Len Sakata, the backup shortstop, was in at catcher.

In the top of the 9th, reliever Tippy Martinez couldn't get anyone out, but so anxious were the Blue Jays to run on Sakata, that Martinez picked three guys off first base [the only time it had ever happened in baseball history]. John Lowenstein joked that Tippy kept throwing the ball to Eddie because he was the only guy Tippy could recognize as belonging in the infield.

Oh yeah; the Samurai Shortstop hit a grandslam to win the game. I never had a scoresheet with so many blue stars.

When we got home, we had a phone message saying that HatterMom was an aunt for the first time from her side of the family.

Amazing night in Memorial Stadium. I can call almost all of it to memory; if I forget, I still have the scorebook.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Nice thread Omsdogg, but w/1 slight problem...Impossible to pick one.

The Sublime; Being at the Rose Bowl in 1991 and watching my parents' alma mater Washington win the National Championship (Purple Reign defense). March of 1997, 4 months after my pops passed and watching my alma mater Arizona beat their third #1 seed in route to national championship in hoops (cried my eyes out).

The Horror; 1986 The Angels one strike away from their first World Series and Dave Henderson hits one out, the Red Sox go on to win go to the Series and Bill Buckner happens.

1994 Rose Bowl World Cup knockout stage Bulgaria and Argentina; There is no stadium in America that I've been to better in terms aura and atmoshere than a sold out Rose Bowl. Stoichov (forgive the spelling) hits two thunderbolts, Bulgaria pulls off the 3-2 upset. Argentina fans shower the field w/water bottles. The day I officially became a believer in the beautiful game.

4. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Obviously Cal vs Stanford
    The Band is on to the field!!!!!!!!!

Joe Carter's walk off in the World Series for the Blue Jays

Brandi Chastain's game winning penalty, and the taking off of the shirt, for the win over China in the 99' World Cup.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

As a huge Pittsburgh Steeler fan, the last 6 minutes or so of the playoff game against Indy 2 years ago, with the interception by Polamalu that we were screwed out of, to the Bettis fumble and Vanderjagt shanking the tying field goal so badly -- that was the single most exciting game I ever saw a team of mine play, with the added bonus that they won. I remember thinking how nuts this is, and hoping that I would be on the better end of it because I didn't want to be crushed if they lost. The Super bowl win even exceeded that -- seeing the Bus retire as a champion was just perfect.

6. SoCalJoe

Nice one rcl19, my wife is a huge Steelers fan also. I thought she was going to keel over when the Bus fumbled it. The irony is her team went on to win the Super Bowl, my team lost it (the Seahawks). I've tried to permanently block out that one.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Agreed. I was just going to mention that game as my memorable sports moment. I have NEVER been more stressed out over a game before in my life.

God, what an exciting game.

10. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

well i spent about half my childhood in the bleacher seat at Busch Stadium in St. Louis so i bleed cardinal red. I was 7 in 1982 when the cards won their last world series and the 06 world series win was most memorable for me for i am a die hard cards fan and the fact that my daughter was born March 13th of the same year so talk about cryin......wooo weee i get emotional just typing it out. She was only 7 months but i could tell she knew why her daddy was tearing up.

Also....the Rams winning the super bowl in 2000....preventing a last second TD and beating the Titans was awesome.....the best thing about that one is I am in Titan country and it was the best walking into work on Monday morning with all my Rams stuff on.....I LOVED IT!!!!

11. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I went to David Cone's perfect game... that pretty much takes the cake.

Most of my "Great Sports moments" consist of Yankess kicking the crap out of teams in the playoffs... Jim Leyritz vs Mark Wohlers in 1996... Aaron Boone vs Wakefield in 2002.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

England-Argentina friendly, 12 Nov, 2005. 2 goals by Owen in last 4 minutes for 3-2 England win.

13. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I was in the upper deck when the Yankees won Game 6 of the 1996 World Series (their first of my lifetime...Boggs on the horse, the lap around the field) and I was in the right field seats for Game 4 of the 1999 World Series (2 clinching WS games in 4 years!).

Other fantastic moments that I did NOT attend:

1) Larry Johnson's 4-pt play against the Pacers in 1999
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP7l592SrXI

2) Maxi Rodriguez's extra time goal vs. Mexico in the 2006 World Cup (I'm half Argentinean).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZ_P_GjMiU

3) The entirety of the 1994 NHL Eastern Conference Finals between the Rangers and Devils (still one of the best playoff series I've ever seen in any sport)

4) The Aaron bleepin' Boone home run in the 2003 ALCS.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Awesome!!! thanks for the clip.

15. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

don't limit yourself to one. that's why i put "memorable sports moments" so you can put whatever one's you like. believe me, i have more. i just enjoy remembering stuff that i wouldn't have thought of without help from you guys, and also learning about events I may have missed. Let's not limit ourselves to outcomes either, if you have one of something that happend during a match let's hear it. Here are a couple more:

Packers vs. Bengals....Packers down by 7 and driving. A fan runs onto the field and grabs the ball out of Favre's hand....takes off down the field and gets rocked. A couple of funny things in this one. Notice the two security guys that bowl into each other, and watch how hard the fan gets hit...his hat even flies off.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ktFYYgV1J4&mode=related&search=

Packers vs. Bears...some dude leaps out of the stands and catches the ball that flies over the net on an extra point.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8QFMe6Uz3Q&mode=related&search=

the best part is i was actually watching both of these games.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I will have to say that more often than not, great sports moments not only happen from what happens in the actual game, but who you are watching it or attending the event with.

That being said, a great sports moment for me was this past Sunday when on a whim I drove 2.5 hours to my brothers so together we could watch the Phillies win it or lose it on the last day of the season. We are both big Phillies fans and it was great to see the Phils win the division in such dramatic fashion and finally get to the playoffs.

Additionally, the White Sox-Astros game 2 of the World Series in 2005 was great. The Grand Slam by Konerko and the walk-off by of all people, Scott Podsednik. That will be a tough game to surpass in my book.

The Fulham - Chelsea match in March of 2005 was great. I was at a pub watching and biting every one of nails ala LeBron James. The pure excitement of the match and Fulham beating them was something else.

There are so many more sports memories I have. Both good and bad. Sports has and will always be a huge part of my life. It is not just a game.

17. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

CTom.....couldn't have said it better myself.....last years game 7 of the NLCS.....my friend is a huge mets fan and had made a bet with a co-worker and the bet was the loser shaves his head.....I got to shave my friends head....good times good times.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I guess only Pettyfog and I can remember the epic Houston Oilers v. Miami game ... and I can't remember the year!

For a personal tie-in, my favorite match was at the very end of the 73-74 season. Luton had already clinched promotion to the old 1st division, but their last match was a Tuesday evening special against Sunderland. Sunderland were playing their last match as FA Cup holders and, although they were odds on favorites to go up, they didn't make it that year. The Sunderland line was led by an ex-Hatter named Vic Halom. He was a huge fan favorite at Luton, as he would be at Fulham. [30 years on and two posters on the Offal use his name -- although only one spells it correctly.]

Luton were led onto the pitch through a cordon of Sunderland players who formed a cordon of honor. It was obvious from the start that, with no league position at stake, it was time to dispense with the hard tackling no quarters life of the old second division and time instead to imitate Brazil. Luton lost the match 3-4. At the end, the manager and chairmen were presented to the fans who had breached the pitch in a very friendly fashion. I was part of them. I stood about three inches inside the center circle with the biggest grin imaginable. It was my very best moment in England, without a doubt. Interestingly, the following Saturday, Liverpool won the Cup. They were our first opponents in our newly promoted season, and we lost to them by a goal at home as well.

So, Petty, what was the year of the Houston-Miami epic?

19. SoCalJoe

Don; are you talking about the Earl Campbell game on a Monday night?? I think that was around '78 (even at 12, I never missed a MNF). The epic Dolphin game that comes to mind is the Chargers/Dolphins 2 OT "Kellen Winslow" game. San Diego won a wild (the hook and lateral to tie the game before halftime), crazy game in the Miami humidity, then went to Cincinnati where the wind chill was -60 degrees and the Chargers Air Coryell offense froze on the spot (1981).

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ; that is indeed the Earl Campbell game that I was thinking about. I also remember the Chargers/Dolphins game you're alluding to. Both classics. Kellen Winslow [the dad] was amazing in that game -- almost as amazing as the Tyler Rose was in the former. Thanks.