1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Roster for the second leg in Barbados.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Dominic Cervi (out of contract: 0/0), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA: 1/1 SO), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake: 0/0)
    DEFENDERS (6): Carlos Bocanegra (out of contract: 12/1), Dan Califf (FC Midtjylland: 1/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC: 0/0), Drew Moor (FC Dallas: 0/0) Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege: 8/0), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock: 1/0)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers: 15/4), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen: 1/1), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA: 0/0), Eddie Lewis (Derby County: 18/2), Danny Szetela (Brescia: 0/0), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire: 0/0)
    FORWARDS (3): Freddy Adu (SL Benfica: 1/0), Chad Barrett (Chicago Fire: 0/0), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire: 0/0)

Howard is rehabing a back injury and EJ has been ruled out due to illness.

Well then, I will revise my above guess by putting Barrett in for EJ.

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I know this is Barbados but Barrett and Thorington over Cooper and Buddle? You will pardon me if I remain confused. Cooper seems like the perfect partnership to a small quick partner like LD or Adu but maybe I am just imagining things.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well, I prefer Ching over Cooper as our strong holding forward, but I would take either one up front. And I've never seen Buddle play for the US so I would've liked to. This seemed like the time to do it since he let Donovan go home, and there is almost no risk with this game.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm a little surprised too -- GREAT AVATAR, MO! -- especially since Barrett seems to be going off the boil a bit. Glad to see Thorrington get a shot, but it would have been nicer to have a real striker up there. I'm guessing that the club that this match interferes with LEAST is the Fire.

5. Clevelandmo

I've been trying to make that my avatar since we returned from England. After weeks of trying, I finally get it on but the resolution is terrible. Maybe someone will read this and help me.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

send the original to me at gmail. I'll see what I can do

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but I did not know Buddle was an American. For some reason I figured he was from Canada or something. Too bad he is starting to get up there in the years. He seems to be coming in to his own in the MLS and is putting together a cracker of a season at LA with Beckham and Donovan's help.

8. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

See, that's the thing. Buddle is in the right situation. Normally, he's a useless forward. At least, he was when he was with the Red Bulls. I know it's tempting to give Buddle another cap due to his recent success, but I think it'd be a waste of time.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I tend to agree. If we're going to "blood" someone, let's do it with a view towards 2010.

10. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

We are absolutely kicking Barbados rears right now. They actually look good.......against Barbados. Dempsey just scored his 2nd goal. 5-0.

11. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Ok, looks like I am watching a recording of the June 15th match....never mind my last post......silly me.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Here's the honest truth. I was bored and wanted to wind you lot up. I suceeded. Fuck, I don't think Mexico is better, in fact, I think the US is miles better and EVEN have the better players. IMO, This is no worse a wind-up than when Don tried and suceeded when he said Kobe wasn't in the top 5 players in the league. In fact, he admitted to winding me up.

As for being an actual troll. That's not the case at all. This was the only time I've actually tried to wind people up on this forum. My political and basketball opinions are my actual opinions. Could I be less emotional? Sure. Could I pick and choose when to debate? Sure. Next time there is a tribute thread, I'll leave it be.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

The MLSers were deliberately picked from Chicago and Chivas, who don't have games this weekend.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

not a brilliant match -- yes, I watched USA rather than Italy v. Spain -- but we won. Adu was the best on the pitch in the first half, but I think he went out for coffee some time in the 2nd half. With all the Chivas/Chicago representation, it was Hoop-boy Drew Moor who played the perfect game for me. Never looked pressured and dispossessed opponents time and time again in one-on-one situations. He's behind Cherundolo and Spector at RB, but he's a good one.

15. Clevelandmo

Don, you should've checked the chatroom. Barry, FulhamAg, and myself were there. I watched it instead of Spain until the last 10 min. Thank god Spain won. I will root for anyone before Italy.

I love Adu and look forward to over a decade of him on the pitch for the US. Hats off to him and his parents for navigating the soccer hype. One thing I notice about him is how strong he is for his size. You will see Johnson and Beasley go down from physical play easier from Adu. He has really figured out to neutralize his size.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was suffering from the heat, Mo, and -- with an evening gig -- trying to conserve my energy by watching from a horizontal position. Sorry to have missed the chatroom.

Agree about Adu. The ONLY weakness I saw in his game in the MLS days was that he just wasn't big/strong enough to hold his own under a challange. That's not a problem now, and I think he'll move from strength to strength. Once we get a striker or two, things will be looking up for us.

WC futures betting [by the way] Turkey and Russia.