1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Bradley has released the names of the 21 called in for the first WC qualifier vs Barbados

I'm relieved to see strong man Ching in there. Here is my starting XI

---------------ching-------------Donavan-----------------

Beasley-------Adu------------Bradley--------------Dempsey

Pearce----------Boca---------Onyewu-------------Cherundolo

Howard

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i like this lineup.

3. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

My lineup:

------------Ching----Donovan----------------
    ----------------Adu/Dempsey---------------
    Beas---------------------------------Kljestan
    -------------------Edu-------------------------
    Pearce---Boca-------Gooch-------Cherundolo

Timmay!

4. Clevelandmo

Kickflip, I like that you have Edu in there - I forgot about him. I would like your line-up too except for Kljestan. Like him but I want to see Bradley and Ching in the same starting XI.

5. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Can't wait to go to this game live on Sunday. Here is my lineup:

---------------Johnson-------------------
    ----------------------Adu-----------------
    Beas-------Bradley-----Edu------Donovan
    Pearce-----Boca----Gooch-----Cherundolo
    --------------Howard--------------------

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Has Kenny Cooper seriously pissed Bradley off at some point in time? I don't understand why he cannot seem to get a call up and get on the field for this team.

As far as lineups go I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this:

__________Howard____________

Dolo----Gooch----Boca-----Pearce

----Edu/Mastroeni---Bradley

Donovan-----Adu-----Beasley

-------------Dempsey

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's what I'd like to see. Who knows what we will see.

-------------------- Guzan -------------------
    'dolo ----- Gooch ----- DeMerit ----- Pearce
    ----------Edu ---------------- Bradley ---------
    ---- Dempsey ------ Donovan ------- Adu ---
    --------------- Johnson ------------------

I don't think we need Timmy for this match. I'd also like to get the Cheesehead 90 minutes in tandem with Gooch. I think that Beas needs to take at least one match off. Finally, I don't see the sense in NOT playing Johnson. We're up against opposition that we SHOULD score on for a change; why just use him when we're completely overmatched at 10 of the 11 positions?

This 4-2-3-1 should mean a lot of attacking opportunities, and Johnson can make us the space necessary for Donovan, Adu, and Dempsey to shine.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I would be happy to see that lineup Don.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'll go a step further and say it is time for EJ to produce. This is in his wheelhouse, he needs to start popping the net. No pressure EJ, just score a goal already.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Additionally, Guzan needs the caps if we want him to be able to get that work permit.

I love Dempsey and Donovan and Kljestan but I wish we had a natural right midfielder on this team, someone who can cross from the right the way Lewis can cross from the left.

If we think Johnson is going to find his scoring touch for the USMNT, this is where he has to do it. I'm curious to see him paired with Ching; the Flyin' Hawaiian could hold the ball up and free EJ for running behind the defense, so that he can get some chances to work on finishing in a game situation. When it comes down to it, I don't think putting the ball past Barbados' keeper when you have the chance is all that much different from putting it past any other.

I'm with BarryP that I'm wondering what it'll take for Kenny Cooper to get a call-up from Bradley. (Is he still not completely healthy? He's been playing for Dallas.) Ching is a good player but he's seven years older and two inches shorter than Cooper; in the medium to long term (maybe not WC2010 and its qualifiers, but beyond that), I continue to believe that with the right motivation and coaching, Cooper is our best shot to play the McBride role and open up space for your smaller guys like Beasley and Landon and Adu and (further down the line) Zizzo and Nguyen and Davies.

As for the lineup this weekend, going by what I saw against Spain and Argentina (I forgot to record the England match so I didn't see it), I'd like to see:

Guzan
    Dolo, Gooch, Boca, Pearce
    Edu
    Kljestan, Donovan, Adu
    Johnson, Ching

Cervi, DeMerit, Hejduk, Beasley, Bradley, Lewis, Dempsey

I know DeMerit needs to get more experience and I was impressed with the job Califf did against Argentina, but Boca needs to find a club and therefore he needs to play.

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Seen last night on Jeopardy

Answer; After playing giants England, Spain, and Argentina what minnow did the USMNT run up the score on Father's Day 08'.

Question; Who is Barbados?

Wish the game was being played on Sat. so have fun Lax and anyone else lucky enough to make it to the HDC. After playing the big boys, I just hope the guys come in with the attitude of stepping on someone's neck instead of showing up and expecting a blowout.

12. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

I'll jump on this bandwagon too. I'm not much of an MLS guy, but Cooper has impressed me from what I have seen. It's a shame that Nate Jaqua has more caps than Kenny Cooper.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, he did lose a lot of potential caps by getting seriously injured not long after his USMNT debut. I agree with you about Jaqua and Wolff.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

There WAS a point when Josh Wolff was a reasonable callup for the USMNT. 2008 is not that point.

15. EricD

EricD New Member

I am looking forward to going to the game. Got tix today. The last time I saw the US team, it was made up of MLS players, so this is sometihng I am looking forward to regardless of the opposition.

With regards to Cooper, I do not think he is a target striker. It seems like he plays like the through guy as opposed to the target. It does not make much sense to me given the size. I think this is what is limiting his opportunities.

I wish Benny was healthy. We need the creativity in the middle. After him, I would like to see Freddie or Sasha in that position.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if I haven't alienated everyone on the site this weekend, perhaps some of you may join me in the chatroom for the ESPN tape-delayed version of the match. I believe it's 4 central on ESPN2.

See you there.

17. Clevelandmo

Okay, I saw some of the Galaxy v Earthquakes game last night and I now want Bradley to call up Edson Buddle. This guy looked so much better than Johnson - he had a hat trick with some beautiful headers. He looked to be exactly what the US needs up top. And it wasnt Beckham sending in the crosses either.

I'm sick of seeing Johnson up there game after game. Ching, Cooper, and Buddle need chances to see what they can accomplish with the US squad. I'm positive all of them would be more effective than Johnson. And of course then there is Altidore - our most promising player at the moment.

I agree that some of Johnson's performances have looked more promising as of late, but I have only seen it with Fulham. Let Woy sort him out because it aint going to come from Bradley or the US MNT.

Hatter, I may drop in on the chatroom to say hi and to see what people think at the half or the end. I cant watch and do the chatroom at the same time; my computer and TV are at opposite ends of this vast mansion in which I live.

18. sublicon

sublicon New Member

The thing with Buddle is that, that's exactly what Johnson was doing. He's a gloryhunter just like Johnson is. Could have the same result.

I agree he should probably get a chance. Robbie Findley too!

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I understand; this was the same problem Timmyg was having last week v. Argentina. Every time he dropped by to add a comment, he did so at the expense of actually watching the match. I have three words for you both: wireless! :wink:

20. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I should be wirelessly connected via my laptop while viewing the match in my living room in HD! Ain't technology an expensively wonderful thing.