1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

WC 2006

Mexico=Round of 16

US=First round and out.

FIFA rankings don't mean shit and nither does some stupid Gold Cup tourney that the vast majority of the world couldn't give a shit about. And yes, even Europeans care about the African nations cup and such because it's actually a decent chance to watch good teams play.

2. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

WC 2006

Brazil=quarterfinals

Ukraine=quarterfinals

Therefore, the Ukraine was equally as good as Brazil, right?

Hold on...

WC2002

Turkey=semifinals

France=First round and out.

So that year Turkey must have been a MUCH better side than France. Glad we got that cleared up.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Totally agree actually. Turkey played much better that year than France.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

You're still missing the point. What the vast majority of the world thinks about the Gold Cup is IRRELEVANT.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd like to leave a wakeup call for whenever this thread goes back to being about US World Cup qualifying matches.

Thanks.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I attended the US/Mexico friendly in Houston earlier this year. From the run-up interviews, to the effort on the pitch, to the atmosphere at the game, neither side gave an indication that they "didn't give a shit". Quite the opposite in fact. And that was a friendly. I have a hard time buying Mexico would blow off the Gold Cup against the US.

I'm sure there was a time when that may have been the case (more likely just overlooked a weaker competitor) but those days have long passed.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I thought it was about ALL qualifying matches?

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Whatever, agree to disagree.

How about Peru getting pounded 6-0 by Uruguay? Geez, that was a slaughter.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Really? Lets examine.

1. You start the US vs Mexico thread out of left field on a thread devoted to WC qualifiers.

2. You ignore facts regarding the US vs Mexico in direct competition with one another over the last decade other than the one fact that suits your argument. - Just for the record we are 9-2-1 against Mexico since 2000 and at least one of the losses in Mexico was an overtime barnburner if my memory serves me correctly but we can just ignore that too.

3. You call the most important CONCACAF tournament rubbish claiming that Mexico probably didn't even care about it. - Perhaps we should write Hugo Sanchez and ask him if they took it seriously after all it was his neck beginning to be stretched out for the chopping block

4. You continually point out the 2006 WC results in which the US was disappointing but Mexico also had the easier group and neither team played the other.

5. Yet you have a huge problem with anyone pointing out the fact that in 2002 WC the US beat Mexico in head to head play. Just for the record I am not claiming we are better than Portagal but we are not 9-2-1 against Portugal since 2000 either.

I have a very hard time taking anyone seriously who spouts their opinions in the face of factual information when that person brought up the whole subject to begin with. Oh and by the way I have yet to run into a wind-up merchant that did not claim they were not a wind up merchant.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Sorry Don I'll shut up now.

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Head to head really doesn't matter to me. Scotland is 2-0 against France. I'm not gonna say they're better than France. What matters is how that team performs in international recognized tournaments. And history(recent history too) has shown that Mexico has performed the better of the 2 teams.

And no, I'm not a wind-up merchant. I truly believe Mexico is the better team.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Except the Gold Cup, you mean. :roll:

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

When the world watches the Gold Cup, then we'll talk. By internationally recognized, I mean tourneys that people around the world actually care about.

14. EricD

EricD New Member

It appears as though Mexico sent a similar team to the Copa to the one that was playing in the Gold Cup. It appears to matter to them.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Whether people WATCH the Gold Cup is NOT RELEVANT. If we're talking about whether performance in the Gold Cup is significant in evaluating the relative strength of the USA and Mexico, the only thing that matters is WHETHER THOSE TEAMS PLAY AS IF IT IS AN IMPORTANT TOURNAMENT. And they do. Q.E.D.

16. Silas

Silas New Member

Hey, if you can't convince a man the sky is blue by looking up, leave him be. The evidence that Mexico has been outperformed against the US in the last decade is astounding, and yet he chooses to ignore it, instead focusing on one single tournament.

Sadly, I don't think any amount of evidence will change his mind.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Hey Don here is some actual WCQ news for you. According to the US team blog Guzan, Kljestan, Barrett, Rolfe, and Thorington have been called to Miami to join this list of players already there:

Goalkeepers (3): Dominic Cervi (out of contract), Tim Howard (Everton FC), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)
    Defenders (6): Carlos Bocanegra (out of contract), Danny Califf (FC Midtjylland), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege) , Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock)
    Midfielders (4): DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Eddie Lewis (Derby County), Danny Szetela (Brescia)
    Forwards (2): Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC)

The roster is supposed to be announced at 1 today I believe.

If this is true I cannot figure out how Barrett keeps getting called before Cooper.

Out of this group I would like to see something along these lines:

---------------Guzan--------------

Moor---DeMerit---Boca---Pearce

Szetela-Kljestan-Bradley-Beasley
    -----------------Adu---------------

---------------Johnson------------

18. EricD

EricD New Member

Wasn't it Moor who let Magellon (sp? - the guy who looks like Alfred Newman) score two goals on the US in Houston. He has to work on defending the set pieces. It is not quite the same risk fortunately.

I hope they do not play that choked in midfield this time. Did anyone else notice that in the last game against Barbados? I like Sasha, and he could be a nice complemtnt to Bradley in the middle. Although, I do not think Bradley is playing up to what we thought he would in the last 4 games. It will be nice to see if Szetela gets some time.

19. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Yes it is the very same. He was also the guy who assisted Jozy on his first goal in the same game. Moor is 24 and has a history of being a winner at IU. Dolo and Frankie are not going to be around forever and Bradley needs to see if Moor has what it takes to play at the international level. I would hope two bad plays in what I believe was his first international wouldn't be the only look he gets.

Oh and by the way Mr. Bradley while you are calling up Dallas players there is this forward by the name of Kenny Cooper you might want to keep an eye on.

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member