1. jmh

jmh New Member

You mean other than the 2002 World Cup, which apparently doesn't count in your world?

And perhaps you'd like to explain why the Gold Cup means nothing, given that it's the second most important tournament those two teams play in.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If you believe the Gold Cup is important then this discussion is over.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

dammit, Josh, we just got him down for his nap!

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Important compared to what? Not compared to the World Cup, certainly. Compared to everything else, sure.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Here is a list of important tournaments.

World Cup

European Championship

Copa America.

African Nations cup

Other than that, every other tournament is shit.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

I guess that explains why both the USA sent the B squad to Copa America last summer.

Tournaments that the USA and Mexico don't participate in have no bearing on this discussion.

Here is a list of tournaments ranked in order of their importance to teams in CONCACAF:

World Cup

Gold Cup

Copa America

Confederations Cup

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Is it important to world football though? Absolutely not. Also, the US and Mexico get an invitation to the Copa America every time so they have an opportunity to play in the tournament. It's a more important tourney and they should take that chance.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

No, the Gold Cup is probably not important to Sweden or to Nigeria or to New Zealand, just as the ANC is not important to us. To CONCACAF teams, though, it is the second most important tournament to the World Cup. Whether or not the USA and Mexico SHOULD take the chance to play in the Copa America, and whether or not they should take it seriously as a major tournament, is irrelevant. The fact that both send their strongest teams to the Gold Cup (as they should, since it is the championship of OUR region), while neither participates in every Copa and the USA sent a B squad last summer, indicates that, to the teams, winning the Gold Cup is more important.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

You do realize you're in the minority of american soccer fans, right? Even the most die-hard football supporters would realize that the gold cup is a rubbish tourney that has Mexico and the US rotate who wins.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

I guess our guys didn't get the memo that they were supposed to lose this year because it was Mexico's turn. Canada apparently didn't get that memo in 2000 either.

You're intentionally ignoring my point. If the Gold Cup is unimportant and the Copa America is important, from the perspective of a CONCACAF team, then why did the USA send the A squad to the Gold Cup and the B squad to the Copa?

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Because the US doesn't give a shit. However, Mexico does send their top players because they realize it's important.

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Whether it's "important" objectively is not the point. The USA doesn't give a shit about it and doesn't send their top players, so their results in it are irrelevant to determining which team is better.

What is relevant to determining which team is better, though, is results in a tournament that both take seriously, i.e., the Gold Cup.

13. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

If both teams send their strongest sides, then it doesn't matter how "important" the tournament is (which is subjective). They're both still playing hard and trying to win.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Was Mexico giving a shit about the Gold Cup? I mean seriously. I think they looked forward to the Copa America more.

15. EricD

EricD New Member

I think this discussion is turning into a US vs Mexico discussion like on those other sites. And, it drives me nuts to read through those threads. There are a bunch of morons posting there regularly defending both sides. I do understand now that is where your original post was coming from. But, don't you think you were basically doing the same thing that some of those people were doing here? I thought that post came out of no where. You know who is reading these threads, and you know that you are going to get a response.

I think Mexico is a good side (even though I cheer for any team playing against Mexico). Technically, they can play with any team. For some reason or another, they have a hard time with the US. I like that Mexico is a good side because ideally they push the US to get better. I know the region is weak, but the Gold Cup final was against Mexico. It was what everyone expected (except Canada), so in our region that makes the tournament exciting. It was two teams who made the WC. Both teams wanted to win badly.

I do not think Mexico had that great a run in the 2006 WC. They beat Iran, tied Angola and lost to Portugal. Nothing to really brag about. I think it is pretty obvious that thier group was not as difficult as the group the US was in. Granted, they played well against Argentina (incredible goal by MaxRod in extra time), but Ghana played well against Brazil without a couple of their better players due to yellow accumulation and that will not cut it against Brazil - notable player missing was Essien (and Adriano was offsides on that second goal - lame ref call). Ghana looked tired in the second half though.

I was pretty depressed with the way the US played in the 2006 WC, but it can also be said that they almost beat Italy. I was not sure what Arena was doing - I would have had every possible scorer on the front line in the second half of the Ghana game because we needed to win and win by a large margin. We did not even try. What is the difference between losing 2-1 and losing 5-1 in that game?

I was really bummed with the US in Copa America. I thought it was an insult to the tournament not to send the best team when all the other countries were playing their best teams. Our guys got some great experience, but the federation looked stupid.

The argument is like a circular reference in excel.

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

You have a future career as a politician because you say whatever suits you and ignore or deny any facts that do not fit into your point of view. In the hierarchy of tournament play the World Cup is the pinnacle of course but to those teams that actually participate their regions tournament is the next biggest prize. You may argue that one tournament is more prestigious than another but to the teams in the CONCACAF region the Gold Cup is just as important to them as teams participating in the Euro's. To be honest 24 you are beginning to sound more and more like FUSA's first real wind-up merchant.

World Cup

European Championship = Copa America = African Nations cup = Gold Cup to the teams actually involved.

For you to call the Gold Cup rubbish is a load of tosh (I have always wanted to say a load of tosh before). Even if you do not take the Gold Cup seriously I guarantee you the US and Mexican national teams do.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

There is no proof that Mexico really gives a damn about the Gold Cup. Hell, even the US has sent players just to give them some playing time. And yes, the World Cup is everything.

Mexico WC 2006=Round of 16

USA WC 2006=First round

Enough said.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

And no, I'm not a wind-up merchant. I just have radically different views from everybody else here and am not afraid to tell people how I feel.

19. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Hahaha, you're right. There's no proof they were trying to win that match. Our bad.

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Yeah, I'm sure they weren't bothered by losing to us (again) at all.