YRTN: Dum stuf really in the news

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 8, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

aka: Yes! Really The News.

Pf note: this was just going to be an occasional effort to make fun of the esoteric oddities in the news. Each day, though brings something else to make you shake your head and yell: "Mildred, you gotta get a load of THIS!"

Woman, 98, buried beneath rubble of Italian earthquake for 30 hours... .. crocheted to pass the time

Why our boys won WWII
    - Let it run a bit..

Piranhas and You

- Strange, I always thought the plural of Piranha was Piranha.... nonetheless there was a 50's technicolor movie in which they featured. Our generation's version of 'Jaws'

Player yellow carded for farting during PK

2. pettyfog

Humans and Aliens may share DNA

Hey.. sez so r'at chere!

"Hey, Wilma... file this under 'D'uh!'"

To be fair, common sense based on empirical evidence has no place in science... hell, it's even removed from law and politics.

added: On reading this later.. maybe it isnt 'common sense' for many. Requires supposition that all physics is standard in our universe. And doesnt mean our ancestor was a fern, either.

3. pettyfog

A Chili test strip

New heat tests for chilli sauce

Uh... isnt that 'really rather agreeably well, ACTUALLY.' ?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Norwegian Rat Alert!

now if they could only invent a device to tell us how hot something is. Oh, wait a minute. That's a thermometer. If they could just discover the electronic principles "behind" a rectal thermometer, they could measure the brain-wave temperature of everyone in their lab.

Jeez, 'fog. It must be hard for you to post this stuff when you're laughing so much. Keep 'er goin' :wink:

5. pettyfog

RE: Norwegian Rat Alert!

I'd put in some snark about 'chilli'.. and the annoying brit habit of using superfluous unpronounced letters in spelling .. but decided THAT was superfluous and distracting.

BTW... it took me a while to get the Norwegian Rat thing.. at least I think I do. And some say I use obtuse references!

added:
    ... um. I'm still confused. If you meant a rat from Norway, maybe I dont get it. If you meant Norway Rat, then the meaning's clear in your context.. to anyone who's seen one, anyway.

6. pettyfog

Better than Imaginary Friend!

Doctors confirm woman's imaginary third arm

- Why do I say 'Better than Imaginary Friend!'? Because it can scratch an itch, anywhere, any time.

BTW, Note on left sidebar:

Ghosts might be all in the mind

- gasp! No shit?

But that article contains what I consider the 'huh' quote of my week:
    .. or if it's a car, not a daisy. or if it's really there at all and not just a part of usreally being a computer simulation.

Which takes us back to our early adolescence when we REALLY started analyzing our relationship with the larger universe and we wondered if maybe everyone else was just part of our imaginations. Remember that?

7. pettyfog

YRTN: Huffing Choco

Signs of the End Times means you cant really dismiss some absurdities, especially if it's not parody, thus we aint calling this News of the Weird (NOTW) or Not Really the News (NRTN). because is IS REALLY news.

I guess I'm gonna have to move some articles around on here..
    Back to Topic:
    A new inhaler - dubbed Le Whif - has been developed by scientists, allowing chocoholics to enjoy all the treats they can handle for zero calories.
    This is just SO WRONG on so many different levels...

- - - -- - - -- - - -- - - -
    And this COULD be a full time effin' job.. more signs the world is becoming insane:
    Students disciplined for praying can sue

.. and as to who has the right to pray in public, I dont guess I have to point out the obvious, do I. Or do I?

8. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

RE: YRTN: Huffing Choco

Figures it is the College of Alameda, which is right next to Oakland, which is right next to Berkeley, which makes even more sense because it is in my beloved Northern California.....go figure. All generalizations....I know. :)

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I can't wait for the ACLU to offer their services for the students who were prevented from praying. Since they are first amendment absoilutists nd have that as their only agenda, we should be hearing how they will be working with the complainant in this suit, right?

Right?

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The ACLU has defended people in circumstances like these before. They defend individuals from excesses of government. This CC thing was one. There'll be others. Doubt me? Check to see who sued the US Congress to ensure that LtCol Oliver North's immunity could not be compromised.

I don't mind a little bit of stereotyping -- notice that I let RidgeRider alone -- but Steve, you need to get that propaganda out of your head if you're going to teach children.

11. pettyfog

Actually Steve, any active role the ACLU might have had in this case is probably moot, as the judge made clear that Alameda College had no grounds for suspension or discipline.
    The ruling was that the students had grounds for suit, thus unless the college appeals and wins the only participation that ACLU might have is to file a 'Friend of the Court' brief.

However.. that might figure in as ACLU is somewhat quixotic in the liberties they choose to defend.
    Pretty much they choose to defend liberties that offend the most White middle class taxpaying people possible, thus raising those 'stereotypical' perceptions.
    So any FOC brief might be written to defend the right to pray privately.. or to safeguard the right to not be offended by hearing prayer in a public funded institution.
    As the commenter in the article said:
    So.. you tell me which side they'll take.

Not saying it's necessarily wrong; saying they dont necessarily respond to every constitutional slight.. if it's big news about someone getting offended, they will look close at it.
    Any freakin stereotypes they've accumulated they fight hard for.. if some dont like that called out, tough shit!

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

http://www.acluvsamerica.com/main/default.aspx

Looks like we will agree to disagree Don.

When I see the CLU's is on cases like one in my hometown where officials committed the cardinal sin of putting a nativity scene on city property during the Christmas season.

Their book is not water tight, but their general theme is so much more correct than it is wrong.

--------------------------------------

You know, I have more to say on the issue.

Sorry, Don,but the ACLU will always be painted in a bad light in my classroom. Allow the organization that defended the Illinios Nazi party to march through Skokie? Launched the movement where I no longer will have Christmas vacation but winter break?

Again, their book is not water tight, but I quote this 20 year old Eagle Scout, on p. 84 -- "It is ironic that the ACLU is questioning the Scouts for practicing character and moral virtue on public lands, while the ACLU is occupying public courthouses around AMerica pulling own every vestige of decency in sight. One might say there is overwhelming and uncontradicted evidence that the ACLU is destroying America, oneBoy Scout camp at a time."

ACLU -- the Anti-Christian Litigation Union.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

How dare the ACLU, when it's so obviously printed right there in the Constitution that this is a Christian nation and that Christian symbols therefore MUST be put in public places so as to remind non-Christians that they aren't full citizens.

Steve, please tell me that you don't plan on teaching history or government.

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I do.

Come on Don, this is a Christian nation, with religious underpinnings that should not be ripped out of society.

The right of speech of the Christian majority should not be infringed, which is what the ACLU has done for years.

http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/main/default.aspx

NOT adf.org, that is a druid earth worshiping website!

15. pettyfog

Stand your ground Steve. I'd suggest, though, that you focus hard on the religious diversity that brought about the basic constitutional precepts.

Freedom of.. Freedom from.. but no 'Freedom from being annoyed or Offended by..

When entertaining debate from the Left, you'll always run up against citation of the radical christian elements on the grounds they remain radical to this day.

Thus the Religion of the Non-Religious. You can believe whatever you want, in private or better yet, in secret. As long as you dont annoy us with your fairy-tale constructs... or remind us of what we dont believe.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Hey, on the religious diversity point, I'm already there. Come one, and come all.

However, once I get my certification and coursework squared away, there will be a political conservative in education to challenge the dominant liberal paradigm. (Locally, the liberal paradigm is not as extreme as it is in, say, the CC relating to Fog's article.)

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Did Don have a post here that disappeared. Not trying to make trouble, but I enjoy the two sides of the debate

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

There was. Don, what gives? We can disagree on a topic, can't we? That said, I have nothing further to add to the debate.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No problem, Steve and Mo. Sometimes I just get tired of the sound of my own voice.

20. pettyfog

YRTN: Morales gets his way

Bolivia's President ends 5-day hunger strike

Whatever happened to just holding breath till you turn blue?