Your Favorite Beers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Jul 5, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A Boddy from the wood is what a "light beer" should be. It's almost mustard yellow as it settles, but it has a smooth, lovely taste.

In the early 90s, when the landlord at my Bedfordshire local was feeling particularly well-disposed towards me, he'd select Boddingtons as the "guest ale of the month." Nice choice, PC uh WB.

I took my time reading every post in this thread. If it weren't visiting day from the remnants of Dolly, I'd have shut up shop and hit Chester's by now for a burger and a brew. Yummie!

2. BC

BC New Member

I love beer.

Shiner Bock is f***ing incredible. Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout is my other #1. A few more faves: Amber Bock, Newkie Broon (Newcastle), Guiness, Young's Double Chocoloate Stout, most anything from McEwan's, Calder's Cream Ale (haven't found it in the US yet...), Chimay, Old Engine Oil, Orkney Skullsplitter, Red Stripe, I could go on forever, probably.

As said above, most of the import beers are much better on tap, in their country of origin. Belgium especially has a plethora of excellent beer. If you've never been, I highly suggest it. They treat beer like France treats wine.

On rare occasion, usually a hot day, I will have a Bud. Also, beer is a must if I am grilling.

Man, all this beer talking has me cravin' one.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You got me good -- somehow, I should have seen that one coming. :lol:

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Speaking of Belgian beers, I've had three recently that I recommend if you're a fan: Delirium Tremens; Kwak (which comes in a glass without a bottom and requires a wood-contraption to hold it - not a good choice if you've already had a couple); and, Lagunitas Brewing Co. recently issued a Belgian-style Tripel that features Zappa's 1968 album “We’re Only In It For The Money” on the label.

Good stuff on this beer thread. Thanks to everybody for contributing their favorites - I've got a list of what I'll be consuming this weekend while working around the house.

5. Bradical

Bradical Member

Victoria Bitter (Austalia)

Kilkenney (Ireland)

Caledonian (Scotland)

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Red Hook ESB, Shiner Bock (I'm a Texan, this and the next one are like mother's milk), Dos Equis Amber (with salt), Fat Tire, and Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

If I cant drink beer in the morning then I might as well post about it.

US - Shiner Bock, Local Brew = Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold

England - Tetley, Samuel Smiths, many others but cant remember the names

German - Ayinger, any local Bavarian summer wheat

Belgian - Duvel

Asian - Singha, San Miguel, Beer Lao

Ireland - Smithwicks, Guiness (the only beer that is clearly the best in its class)

Czech - Pilsner Urquell (if I could only have one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it)

Mexico - Dos Equis

Italy - Peroni

France - Oh wait, they dont make any good ones

8. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I don't know how i missed this thread. Pabst, Left Hand Sawtooth, London Pride, probably my top three. But I will say this, the only beer that I think is just horrible is Pig's Eye.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think my most disappointing beer was San Miguel. Everyone I knew who had been stationed in the Far East raved about it. When I got to the PI in 1970 -- on my way to Vietnam -- I couldn't wait to try it. It was horrible. It was SWEET. I was shattered.

Note to FulhamAg: we DEFINITELY have to get together for that beer. Shiner Bock and Dos Equis are also my #1 and 1A

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

So? Neither do the Dutch.

Amended: Well , they might but I never had one.

12. Clevelandmo

Shiner is actually pretty sweet too and you like that. Maybe you should try it again.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I remember San Miguel... after all, I lived near an AFB all my life.

IMO, falls into the old Coors category... only good when remembered fondly from a distance.

Once in hand, reality bites!

14. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Couple additions:
    Great Divide Hercules Double IPA
    Redhook Longhammer IPA
    La Chouffe
    Allagash Triple

I likes the hoppy stuff

15. Clevelandmo

Yes, Amstel, Grolsh, and Heinekin are three of the most overated beers in the world.

I bet the French do make a good beer; they just dont want the world to stop wasting money on their overated wine.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know I had a couple of French beers. Not great, but not as bad as Greece's Fix. What's worse than Heinekin? Heinekin Light -- yeech. What suprised me is how good Italian beer can be. I had some local "heel of the boot" brew during a 24 hour visit in the early 80s that was awesome. [How good? I had just gone from England to West Germany and that beer compared most favorably.] I'll have a Moretti from time to time. That's a good one.

Mo, it's a possibility that my taste has changed. I find Shiner Bock more substantial than sweet, but I nodded my head when you pointed that out. If I'm out and have a choice of whatever I want from North America, it's:

• 1. Dos Equis Amber
      2. Shiner Bock
      3. Fat Tire
      4. Sierra Nevada
      5. Sam Adams
      6. MGD

17. Clevelandmo

It's also been quite a while since I've had a San Miguel and I dont think that I've had it with Asian food. As far as a beer with Asian food, sweet is not what I would want. Give me a Singha.

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I agree Mo, Singha, and also Taj Mahal, are great beers to wash down that spicy Indian or Thai meal...plus, they come in the "big" bottle!

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

No Anchor Steam, then??

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Feck! Anchor Steam should have been on my list! Just above Sierra Nevada! Man, I hate CRS disease.