Your Favorite Beers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Jul 5, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I love the Polish beers. While some are sold here in Chicago, my favorites are not. Here are my four favorite beers in order and their availability in the States:

1. Wojak (only availabe in Poland)
    2. Fratter (only available in Poland)
    3. Lech (only available in Poland)
    4. Okocim (available in Chicago)

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Most of the time I drink low strenght larger (Fosters/Carling/Carlsberg/Beck/Bud), during the winter I drink stout. Match days I will quite often have an ale, althoug I tend to drink wine more than beer these days.

Ales/Bitters:
    London Pride
    Ruddles County
    Old Specled Hen

Larger:
    Peroni
    Tiger

Stout:
    Guiness (when done properly).

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I should point out that the beer stocked at 'the Villa' is Tecate. It's apparently a popular choice in some venues though I found it 'Lite' sorta like a cheaper Corona.

Which is why I got enamored of PBR, which was bought for my eldest son who failed to show up one night and I punished him by drinking his beer.

I also forgot to mention I have ordered Killians Red to go with certain meals at like a TGI Friday's. It has some FLAVOR and I dont give a rat's what anyone else thinks of what I drink, so it's on my list about three or four down.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

its actually pretty good. but the funny thing about killians is that its "irish red" and "great for st. patricks day" etc etc, but its not irish. its domestic.

has anyone ever had any bud dry? i found some at a local liquor store and had to do some research on it. but i'm so fascinated by it i may have to get it.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Nevzter, here is the 'Cobra' I'm talking about...the perfect brew to go along with a curry:

[​IMG]

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my most favorite beers and first had it in Brooklyn about 7 years ago since my cous was a big, big fan.

I have to mention Brooklyn Brewery as being one of my fave brews...also, Yuengling was a great shout.

On match days at the Cottage I drink John Smiths in the Cottage but Carling or Stella in the pubs.

As for Ales I'll drink London Pride:
    [​IMG]

Timothy Taylor is easily my fave ale which is served at the local of all local Fulham pubs called the Brick layers arms:
    [​IMG]

6. jorge11

jorge11 New Member

i'm new here - so i'm late to the "favorite beers" thread!

here are my current favorites:
    Brewhouse Brown Ale from the Real Ale Brewery in Blanco, Texas
    Belgian classic Stella Artois
    Rock Green Light (by Rolling Rock) for those times when i want something REALLY light that still tastes like beer (unlike Coors Light)

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Corona and Sam Adams Boston Lager are my favorites. Actually Mickeys is right up there although every other malt drink is pathetic Mickeys has a decent flavor and they only come on tall cans or 40 oz. which is good. The worst beer I ever had was Guiness. That flavor was absolute rubbish and I had to give my beer away.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Amen brother! That stuff is pants! I never have understood how so many people like this beer. I had one in my entire life and it was in Ireland. I felt obligated to drink one there so I struggled through one. Needless to say, it was really bad.

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I'm not typically a big drinker, let alone a drinker of beer. I'll have the occassional Bud Light from time to time. But if I'm out to really get sloshed, then it's straight vodka.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

I had Brooklyn Summer Ale with lunch today. Quite tasty.

11. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

PBR, Shiner boch, Sam Adams Winterfest, New Belgium Springboard, and when i was over in London and edinburgh, I had a lot more that i thoroughly enjoyed. One was Edinburgh No3 and the other one was also a Scotish beer I had in a bottle at a pub in Lodon by the Market Area by London Bridge. that's all I know.

12. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Mike, I had a Cobra, except out of a tall can if I remember correctly, at a Indian restaurant there. It was a fine beer. But then again, I've only run across one or two beers in my life that I didn't enjoy.

13. psand22

psand22 Member

Man, it's hard to pick a favorite. It all depends on where I'm at in the world. At home, I enjoy the ESB's at the Hunter - Gatherer, a Pacifico, or a PBR.

On the road it's hard to top the Imperial from Costa Rica, Belize's Belikin and the Brugge Zot in Belgium. Well, there's too many good ones to pick from in Belgium. Let's go see what's in the fridge today....Oh, Thank God it's Friday.

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

In no particular order. Guiness, London Pride, Ruddle Real Ale, Peroni, very very cold Bud on a very hot day, Carling, Cafrees.

15. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Ah, beer!

I fell in love with Kilkenny when I was in Ireland (the city and the beer, er, ale), so Smithwicks has become my beer of choice. Not quite the same as in Ireland, but still yummy. And Guinness is next to godliness...I like it best when it is slightly chilled...but not American beer cold.

I like our local brews, particularly Sweetwater. 420 is a good pale ale...but I also like their Summer Hummer (although I think it is just called Hummer now). Good wheat beer. Terrapin Rye Ale is also yummy and brewed in Athens, GA!

I like the hefe weizens in the summer and tend to gravitate towards Hoegaarden, although, when available, I prefer Weihenstephaner. After three or four, I can't pronounce the name and just call it Stephanopoulus. Thankfully, they know me well enough at my local, I could call it "Stan" and they would know what I want.

Mexican beer- Pacifico...hate Corona and only "meh" about Negro Modelo.

On match days, I drink cider as I have somehow convinced myself it is okay to have with breakfast. My footie friend Betsy drinks High Life. We share a quiche and tater tots. And then we run in the woods, get filthy, and drink more beer (it's called hashing- hee!). Not a bad way to spend a Saturday (or a Sunday!).

-T :banana:

16. PaydayC4

PaydayC4 New Member

I just got back from the UK (got to see the Cottage but man, I didn't realize how much of a walk from Putney Bridge it is....) and didn't get to drink anything spectacular just a bunch of Carlsberg Export (which I like) and Kroenenbergs (which I don't like).

I like the St. Bernards quite a bit. Hoegaarden and Bass Ale are the other ones I drink. Bud light if there's nothing left.

As for the local drinks, Sweetwater is not too bad. In Atlanta, we've got $3 pitchers of PBR at a local bar called Moe's and Joe's. The UK folks I brought there drank a ton of it.

17. samizdat7

samizdat7 New Member

Samuel Adams Boston Lager is definitely my go-to brew.

I also like Sierra Nevada, Bass, Harp.

For those of you who like Brooklyn Brewery, my sister-in-law introduced Brooklyn Lager to me when I was visiting NYC. Very good beer.

And I tend to think Fat Tire is an overrated novelty.

18. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Well, obviously Shiner Bock is the beer of choice.

Others worth mentioning:
    Newcastle, Fat Tire (overrated novelty, my arse), Guiness, Avalanche Ale (Breckenridge Brewery), and Paulaner Oktoberfest.

Some color is a must.
    Beer should not look (or taste) like pee...

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

While screwing around, I found this thread and decided to put my 2 cents in. MMmmmm, beer :D

ANY Sammy Adams, especially their black label

I had a Yuengling for the first time in forever the other day, it was a lot better than I remembered.

And Shiner Bock. Excellent brew, and it meets a crucial standard in life -- if it's good enough for Lance Armstrong, it's good enough for me

I steer clear of any Bud, Busch, Coors, any mass produced American beer. Life is too short to drink crappy brews. In the foreign category, Stella Artois tastes like skunk pee, and Newcastle is pretty gross as well

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

You've tasted skunk pee before?!?!

One of My Favs:
    A beer that is not an everyday beer, and one I have not had in a while, Boddingtons.

In the "I am somewhat asshamed to admit it" category:
    Miller Chill. Something about the lime flavored, chelada style cerveza is just so refreshing.