Your Favorite Beers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Jul 5, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

After reading a few posts a minute ago about beers, I decided we were missing a thread for those to share their favorite brews.

I've been to the Strohs brewery as a kid, but never had one. As a kid I remember watching a movie with the Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery in it, but again, never had one.

As for a couple of my favorites:

Sam Adams (Boston Lager or Summer Ale)
    Carling
    Cobra

Now, enlighten me on your faves...

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

For those of us in the western U.S., Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, originally brewed in the great Chico, California, is a tasty beverage. Anchor Steam is a fine brew too. There are so many "microbrews" around here it's almost impossible not to find a new thirst-quenching option at will.

Chimay is delicious, but only when I feel like dropping $10 for a 22 oz. beer.

Olympia, Lucky and Milwaukee's Beast are favorite "cheapys" of mine.

3. nevzter

Forgot to ask Mike...are you referring to King Cobra? The malt liquor that's as "fine" as Mickey's? Nice.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Agree that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a great brew. There are so many small breweries back in the midwest that it is hard to pick out a favorite.

Slightly more popular brews that I like would be Newcastle, Guiness and even a Blue Moon from time to time. Unfortunately I must stick with Keystone and other cheaper brews to fit my budget needs.

5. jreid19

jreid19 Member

Buffalo, Home of the Wing and City of Raw Deals
    I enjoy Newcastle, Carling, and Molson. I also tried something new a few weeks ago when they ran out of Newcastle called Downtown Brown. I liked it slightly better than Newcastle.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If you're sure you're going to have just ONE, then a Newc's good. Believe me, this comes from a guy that misspent as much on beer in his youth as any of you...

But like I say, 'Tastes great, just filling enough' for me is any Sam Adams, Dos Equis, and in a party, Bud Light ..

ANYTHING BUT a Miller product which gives me headaches and has since I can remember.

Oh... and Coors Light will do when I cant trust any other source of drinking water.

7. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

Very interesting indeed. For some reason Anheuser-Busch products do the same to me. Even the PBR. I totally agree there's way too many micro brews, hell in Northern California alone. All you want is a domestic or import and they force you to drink their schwill. I like an ice cold can of any pilsner. Oh yes I almost forgot. In regards to malt beverages, nothing beats the Crazy Horse 40 4 $1.25 back when.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Anyone ever tried Mississippi Mud Black & Tan? It comes in what appears to be an old liquor jug. Fantastic brew and goes perfectly with a hearty meal...not too good for a party though.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In the words of Michael Jackson -- no; not that one -- American light beer is the closest thing to air in a glass. Might as well go very light and have a glass of water. I prefer real ale from the wood when I can get it, but most of the brew pubs I've gone to in this region generally ruin their brews by letting any employee tap into it and turn it immediately to skunk.

When I'm in England, I'm usually happy with whatever real ale is available. To be real it must be alive; to be alive it must be on draft. I don't drink beer from bottles when I'm in England.

When I'm in Ireland, I drink Guiness draft. Lovely stuff.

In the states, I prefer Dos Equiis Amber or Sam Adams or Shiner Bock. Occasionally, I'll have a black 'n tan [half Guiness and half Bass Ale]. The only standard American brews I like are MGD and, very rarely, a non-light Coors [although 90% of the time I ask for it they bring me a Coors light]. I was intrigued about 'fog's tale of PBR. Used to drink it in the military a lot, but the last time I tried it -- about 20 years ago, it was kinda sucky. Mayhap it's time to try it again.

10. nevzter

I concur, Downtown Brown is good stuff, brewed with love in Eureka, California.

I believe in the Guiness conspiracy theory that it tastes better in Ireland than over here. Personally, I chalk much of it up to the 'being in Ireland' factor. However, my Irish pals drink only Mexican beer (Corona, Negra Modelo) here because they say the Guiness on tap in California pubs is shit.

11. andyns

andyns New Member

Ugh. Most comments so far make me cringe. Maybe I am biased, but nothing suits me better than Grolsch. Beats Heineken or amstel anyday.

After that, Ottakringer is my favorite. So far I have only found it in Austria, which is where it's brewed, but I have heard reports of it in Florida and other places. Third choice to the Polish Zywiec.

I only judge people who drink corona. Well, that and people who drink dark beers that are turned dark with chemicals rather than dark malts.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I grew up in El Paso on the Mexican border and there was a joke at the time that went: "A competitor sent a bottle of Corona to a lab to learn its ingrediants. The report came back saying 'sorry, I'm afraid your horse has diabetes.'" All of us were shocked to discover that of all the Mexican brands, Corona was the one that was popular in the US.

Great commercials, though.

13. nevzter

Like assholes, everybody has an opinion when it comes to beer. My wife began buying Grolsch simply for the tops, then she started to enjoy it. Good brew. Ottakringer is solid, but what about the Austrian Coors: Steigl?

My Irish pals drink Corona, and other Mexican beers, because they are cheap and plentiful as compared to in Ireland. But unless it's 90+ degrees, I'm not choosing a Corona either.

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Colorado's New Belgium Brewery (Fat Tire, etc...)
    Belgian Beer (Westmalle Triple... let your date drink it)
    Louisiana's Abita Beer (Amber, Turbodog, or Purple Haze)
    Houston's St. Arnold's Beer
    Texas' Shiner Boch and friends
    In Düsseldorf, Germany Dunkel bier.
    In Cologne, Germany Kölsch
    Budwar... or the original Budweiser Czech Beer
    Pilsner Urquell Czech beer

15. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

When in Baja, I'll drink Dos Equis (higher booze content and really crisp)
    Negra Modelo and Bohemia round out the Mexican cervasas.

Bass, Newcastle, and Sierra Nevada are all solid choices when not drinking a light beer.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I got turned on to Dos Equis in the seventies on a biz trip to detroit of all places.

Sometime in the mid eighties, I was in a meeting in downtown LA and allus adjourned to some bar happy hour. Every freaking one of the 'educated and informed' suits.. well, the OTHER suits.. ordered Corona and lime.

I was last and ordered Dos Equis and spanish peanuts... you should have seen the waiter's face, he was pro but a hint of a grin and a slight wink.

For the next two hours I was both the first and last served of the bunch. What I never understood is how the Corona fad hung on so long.

17. RDG

RDG Member

9 times out of 10, the local brew is best. There are plenty of beers I don't drink, but this is a link to what we DO like to drink, so I'll keep it in that direction.

On baseball days, I end up in an Irish section of NYC, and will have Guinness or Harp (the Harp if my friend is buying tequila). I do like the Yuengling brews, quaffing more than my share of their light beer (it seems to be the only one I've tried that actually has flavor), whilst admiring their Porter. Carol Stoudt, from Pennsylvania, brews wonderful beers, and I've yet to have a bad one from her brewery.

On the other side of the pond, like HatterDon, I tend to go for real ales (I think I was a member of CAMRA, but I may have been drunk at the time). Yes, I do enjoy Fuller's ales, especially the London Pride. On my most recent visit to the West Country, I did find a couple of pubs with cask ale, one of which was Bass. Tasted like no Bass I've ever had, and was wonderful.

One of the great things about visiting other brewing nations (Germany, Czech Reublic) is the sampling of the local brews. It seemed to me that every small town in Southern Germany had a brewery that did not send it's product more than a few miles from the center of town. All were delicious.

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

funny, i just signed up for beermaking classes and got a large story about local brewerys/winerys published in todays paper. so kudos to this thread.

favorite: smithwicks

very honorable mentions: samuel smith oatmeal stout, harp, sam adams double bock (any other specialty is just as good), murphys extra stout, clipper city (bmore brewery), carlsberg, any lambic ale, any hefeweizen, any belgian white (i'm not too particular on these)

good-bad beer: miller high life, pbr

if there's nothing else: miller lite

guilty pleasure: bud ice

i'm taking a cab home: colt 45, blithering idiot (11.1%!!!!!!!!!!)

19. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

A few highlights...

Fat Tire (FINALLY able to get it as of this week in Minneapolis)
    Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat (out of KC)
    Shiner Bock
    Victory Golden Monkey (a heavy-alcohol Trippel brewed on the East Coast)

And for really hot days (like it's going to be this weekend in the Midwest)...
    Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy

I do sorely miss the Free State Brewery in Lawrence, KS... they don't bottle their stuff... only available on site and from the tap...

20. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I'll 3rd Fat Tire (sadly, still not on the East Coast).
    Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (Delaware)
    Long Trail Ale and Double Bag (Vermont)
    Magic Hat Fat Angel (Vermont)
    Ommegang Trappist Style (New York)
    Bear Republic Racer 5 (California)
    Bell's (Michigan)