Your best present ever when you were a youngster

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Dec 15, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Time to get the festive cheer out around here. Thought this would be a good thread after taking the little ones to see Santa. My son asked for some matchbox cars and trucks, and some bubbles. Such an easy kid to please. So what is your most memorable gift you received around the holidays when you were a wee one?

The most memorable gifts I can think of is a sled and the original nintendo game system. About an hour after unwrapping the sled, my brother and I went out back to test it out. There wasn't a whole lot of snow out there, so it didn't go very fast. But I remember that gift the most from my youth Christmas gifts, because of the fact my brother and I both had a bit of fun with it. I think that is the same reason I remember the NES system fondly as well, since it was a gift to "both of us." Although sibling rivalry kicked in to overdrive over the course the nintendo gaming system's lifespan. I think I won more than I lost...but I'm sure my bro has a different take on that. :lol:

2. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

They got me a Playstation and I was expecting it, but they liked to mess with me and my sister so they made me unwrap all of my presents and there was no Playstation. I was mad, but told them that it was alright. They kept saying they got my Dad a spare tire for Christmas for a couple of weeks before then and then told me to open his gift. It came in a big box so I thought it was actually the tire. I open it and there's a Playstation inside with a bunch of games. I think I actually jumped up and down.

The worst gift was a mini electric guitar. I kept telling that I wanted an electric guitar and they buy this thing that sounded pretty bad and wasn't full size. Think they did that on purpose so I wouldn't be playing punk rock songs all day. They followed it up the next year with a PS2 so it's all good.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My very bast was my Lionel train set. It was only a small oval -- maybe 8 feet in diameter -- with two or three cars and an engine, but for the next 4 or 5 years, I got more new stuff every birthday and Christmas. It was brilliant, and every time I see a vintage Lionel set, I still smile -- more than 55 years later.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up just outside of Portland, my Dad would get the company seats for the Trail-Blazer game (back then they traditionally played a home game on Christmas night), and he would take my brother and I, along with whichever Grandfather was down from Washington state for the holidays. We went every year from when I was in third grade until we moved to Chicago after 8th grade.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

a mizuno middle-infielder baseball glove when i was 16 given to me by my parents and sister - i played with that thing through college.

a nintendo (8-bit) from my aunt and uncle ranks up there too.

6. tim

tim Active Member

Was struggling to come up with an answer to this, until Joe and Nev's responses inspired me.

I, too, remember receiving an 8-bit Nintendo as a holiday gift. And I remember getting tickets to my first LA Kings game when I was 7. Those were both pretty darn good.

7. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Three things pop to mind. An Atari game system which I loved, a rubik's cube which I wore out and best of all a remote control. Every time I pick up a remote I think of my father. My dad and mom bought a new TV a couple of months before Christmas to put into their bedroom my senior year of high school. They had never had a TV in their bedroom and we didn't even have a new TV in our living room. I thought it was cool my dad bought something nice for himself. I was speechless when I opened a small box that held the remote control. I didn't know what it was at first and the look on my face must have been priceless because it made my dad laugh as ohe cried while he told me TV was mine to take to college with me. They haven't had another TV in their room since.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

nice one, Barry

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I got a 3 or 4 foot tall model of the Apollo/Saturn V moon rocket one year. Very cool. I got chills applying the black panels, USA and NASA decals.

10. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Wow sounds awesome!

For me it's probably a Playstation 1 or this Lego Castle

[​IMG]