YA's 23 Tickets

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Let the man stay retired.

Look forward, not backward.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

bhoooo, Don, bhoooooo......

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

HD, Connor Casey v. Brian McBride. Feel free to discuss...

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Leadership, nice touch and skill on the ball, versus, well, I don't know what the other guy brings to the table. Don, I see your point, but wouldhe younger ones on the team benefit more by seeing an old, ironheaded fart model what you need to do to be successful at the int'l level, or by seeing one of their own squander opportunities?

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah; it worked out really well at the Olympics, so I hear.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm looking forward to the day we have McBride on the sidelines coaching for the US MNT

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Whoa there pardner! Are you saying McBride provided no benefit to that team and those young players that played and arguably underachieved in the Olympics? (Beat Japan, tie Netherlands, lose to Nigeria 1-2, is that underachievement?)

Not sure how you connect those dots and lay it at the feet of one of the U.S.'s best ever. If anything, I would say he was pretty frustrated with the team and their underachievement.

At the other end of the park, U.S. captain Brian McBride worked tirelessly throughout the night, earning several fouls and maintaining consistent pressure on the Japanese defense.

Wynne dribbled up the right wing and crossed in front of the back line to Brian McBride, who put a bouncing pass into the path of Holden who first-timed a laser onto goal that Vermeer punched wide.

foul 40 yards from goal gave the U.S. a free kick that Holden lofted into the area to McBride, who rose to flick a header that Vermeer tipped over his crossbar.

Moments later, the U.S. earned a penalty when McBride cleverly chipped a ball into the box for an onrushing Maurice Edu. The U.S. defender was tackled at the top of the area on a reckless challenge from Nigeria goalkeeper Ambruse Vanzekin, the referee immediately pointing to the spot. Kljestan calmly converted the ensuing penalty, breathing added life into an already amped U.S. attack.

Yep Don, I'm sure they learned nothing from Brian.

Put down the Haterade and walk away.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I love Brian, and I agree with Mo about what his future might be with the USMNT. I also believe that we have to move forward not backward. Brian's retirement left a huge hole in our attack. Getting him to come back for a tournamnent or two does not plug the hole. What it does do is postpone repairing the hole.

Christian, not for nothing, but you're sounding more like Pettyfog every day.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I understand the moving forward concept, but we are talking about the world's preeminent competition that is 1 year away and only happens every 4 years. I don't give a damn if bringing back Eric Wynalda, Alexei Lalas, and Tony Meatballola will help us, it is about winning now, not in some conceptual futurerama.

We'll have plenty of time after this World Cup to get theoretical and focus on 4 year plans.

10. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

The real outrage over this new 23 Tickets article should be, "Where the hell is Ricardo Clark?" The guy has improved massively as a defensive midfielder and while I understand he could very well end up behind Edu (and Jones for that matter) in the depth chart, he's done quite well in the Confederations Cup. I think he's going to be on the 2010 roster and I'm not sure why YA is already placing Jermaine Jones so far ahead. Let's wait and see what JJ can do for the US first.

11. Clevelandmo

I wasnt all that in to this thread before but now that we have seen a lot of national team action - both first and "B" teams - I'm finding it fun to think about who should go in 2010 (although still a litttle premature).

Here are my 23 as of now;

Forwards: Donovan, Altidore, Davies, Ching, Adu, Johnson,

Midfield: Bradley, Dempsey, Edu, Beasley, Feilhaber, Holden, Kljestan, Torres, Rogers, Clark

Defense: Gooch, Boca, Demerit, Cherundolo, Spector, Borenstien, Pearce, Wynne, Marshall, Frankie

GK: Howard, Freidel ( I say convince him to come out of retirement, Guzan NGE)

Okay, that is 28. So I have to get rid of five.

At forward, I would probably drop Adu, but then Don would say he has to be on the squad. I know some of you would say drop Ching, but then you would be wrong. :3d funny: . Some would say EJ but I really think we need to get a look at him since his time with Cardiff (and now more with Woy). I'll leave it at this for now.

At midfield, I would probably drop Rogers at this point. While he looked good in all of his games, I thought he did a lot of the same thing and became predictable. However, I also might drop Kljestan over him since Rogers does widen the play (something I like to see in the US). Some might say Holden, but that goal v. Haiti was no fluke since he came very close earlier in the game. The US needs some who can make those sudden strikes from distance. Combine that with Davies and Donovan's speeed and that would be nice. And of course most of you would say Beasley, and you would be wrong :3d laughing: (at least for now). I think top drop candidates are Rogers, Kljestan, Clark, and Torres (I prefer rockets from midfield over "composure on the ball").

Defense: many would say Wynne but I think he is very very good; not convince he should be dropped (I wouldnt mind seeing him play a defensive mid role). Some would say I should have Jones in there but I've never seen him play. Some would say Hejduk, but he could be a key, experienced defensive sub in a big game. So for now, I'll take Pearce and Marshall out.

GK: Question. Is two the typical number for a WC squad?

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, outstanding analysis. Here's my kibitz.

Of your listed players Adu, Jozy, Davies, EJ, Beasley, Spector, Pearce, Feilhaber, and Edu, EVERYTHNG depends on how much they see the pitch in competitive club matches between now and June. Each of them has shown that they have the talent to make the squad, but each of them has also shown that without match fitness, they're a potential liability.

I'd like to see more of Torres, Rogers, and Holden for sure. I think Guzan is good enough -- although I would be at my happiest if Timmy got every minute in South Africa.

And I also like Demps better as a midfielder than as a striker.

It's too early to pick, but if ALL these guys have some match fitness, here's who I'd consider my front-runners [Some players are listed twice]:

G -- 1. Howard; 2 Guzan
    RB -- 1. 'dolo; 2. Spector
    LB -- 1. Bocanegra; 2. Pearce
    CB [pairing] 1. Gooch & Boca; 2. Gooch & DeMerit; 3. Demerit & Califf
    Extra Defenders: Hejduk, Marshall, and Simek
    Def Mid [pairing] 1. Bradley & Edu; 2. Bradley & Feilhaber
    Attacking MId [pairing] 1. Dempsey & Donovan; 2. Holden and Dempsey/Donovan 3. Dempsey/Donovan & Feilhaber.
    Extra mids: Ricardo Clark, Adu, and Torres
    Strike pair: 1. Jozy & Davies; 2a. Davies & Ching; 2b. Jozy & Ching
    Extra Strikers: EJ, Adu

by my count, that 26 players.

13. Clevelandmo

As expected Don you gave a much more sophisticated analysis. I see no Beasley on your trip to SA :3d crying:
    :3d crying:
    :3d crying:

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Here are my 23 but I am projecting forward:

Forwards: Altidore, Davies, Ching
    Center Mids: Bradley, Jones, Edu, Feilhaber
    Wings: Dempsey, Donovan, Holden, Torres, Rogers
    Center Backs: Gooch, Demerit, Marshall
    Fullbacks: Boca, Cherundolo, Spector, Pearce, Bornstein
    GK: Howard, Guzan, Hahnemann

Because both Dempsey and Donovan can push forward we will go light at the forward position and carry extra midfielders.

Ricardo Clark will get bumped in favor of Jermaine Jones.

Players like Feilhaber, Holden and Torres will be included for their versitility in midfield since the possibility of pushing Donovan and Dempsey forward exsists.

Robbie Rogers will be included because FIFA will demand the US carry at least one real winger. This criteria could be met by DMB if he rounds back into form.

Hejduk gets left out only because we need two backups behind Boca at LB to hope one is playing well.

15. Clevelandmo

didnt realize Jones was a midfielder. Hmmm. When is he eligible to play for us as I understand that he wasnt for confed or gold cup.

I dont see how after the little that we have seen of Torres you guys are so eager to have him in there. He's 5ft 5in., slight, and has hardly scored for his club team. I'll not ready to write him off, but I think you guys are being overly flattered by his choice of the US or something. I cant believe you would throw Beasley out the door for someone who would have chosen El Tri had they simply called him up. You know he turned down the US when they asked him to be on the Olympic team. Open thine eyes and make the little guy earn the respect you are giving him.

And for second GK, I will take Hahnemann over Guzan.

16. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

August 1, but he has a stress fracture in his foot/leg and probably won't be able to play until late September/October.

17. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Mo to be honest I tried to keep my picks strictly on an objective basis with the exception of Robbie Rogers. I tried to project forward based on who is playing well for their club or for the US at the moment. I don't have a rooting interest in seeing Torres make the 2010 squad but he is playing well for Pachuca right now and Beasley has not been playing for Rangers.

I have been a fan of Beasley for a long time. In fact Beasley, being from Indiana, is someone I have followed closely. I hope he finds a club, gets some regular playing time and regains his form. IMO an on form Beasley gives us a speed option on the wing we otherwise lack but his form for the USMNT has been slipping for over a year now. Unfortnately, his recent performances do not suggest that is about to change. To be fair and consistent DMB is suffering from the same thing Freddie Adu is and that is a lack of club playing time to stay (or in Freddie's case get) sharp. No matter how much the fans like Beasley and appreciate what he has done in the past he has to make the 2010 squad based on what he can contribute now. I have no doubt that Bradley will give him more looks and I hope Beasley can impress when he gets the chance but the truth is that based on his performances over the last year or more he is a fringe player at best right now.

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

ESPN pipes in with their own mock roster.

Conner Casey? Really? I'll still take EJ over Conner Casey if we have to take a fourth forward.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

WTF? I agree, as he BRINGS NOTHING TO THE TABLE.

Is a bald, white dude quota in effect? If so, they should bring back Keller and drop another GK. I'm too flummoxed to comment on any other selection...

20. Clevelandmo

Why August 1st. Is there like a buyers remorse clause so he still has time to change his mind?