YA's 23 Tickets

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I find this mildly interesting for now and usually pretty decent fodder for differing opinions. What's yours?

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mod ... nt&id=4286

I have not seen anything to make me think Marvelle Wynn isn't a future star, but as they say, Europe would help him bring some nuance to his game.
    Won't be surprised to see Stuart Holden move up the ranks, whether he continues playing in the States or Abroad.
    Surprised, because I have not watched much or any of Reading, that Hahnemann is rated so well.

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

The Hahnemann addition is an interesting one because he's more than qualified, but who knows if he'll ever get called into camp.

Bradley seems content with Guzan as #2 despite Guzan never really being tested like Hahnemann has. And although Reading is in the CCC and was relegated last year, it wasn't because of Hahnemann one iota.

Markie Marc for #2!

And the comment about EJ's team was priceless.

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: YA

Hmmmm... I read thru it. So many things can change between now and then.

If we were going in right now - I think you would see this:

Timmy

?? Gooch Boca Pierce

Demps Bradley ?? Beas

Lando Josey

I dont know that we will see any changes to these spots, and the only ones that are really up for grabs are the right back and attacking CM.

Unless - Lando went into the Attacking CM spot and that opened up the other Forward...

Josey is no lone striker - at least not currently - so you would think a 4-5-1 wouldnt be in the cards.

Remember when they tried doing that with Johnson? Its too bad... At that time I thought he might have the speed and strength to play up there by himself. I have not decided if he simply isnt that good, or if he is good enough, but he is not competitive enough. Currently a major disappointment.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Frank Simek is an x-factor. I still think it's either him or Spector for Cherundolo's backup. Remember that, before his injury, David Moyes was actively pursuing Simek's transfer to Everton from Wednesday. If he can maintain the form -- and more important the degree of improvement -- he had prior to his injury, I think he's back in serious contention.

Given that RB may not be Marvel Wynn's final position, I don't see anyone in MLS who could contend with Spector, Simek, Cherundolo, and Pearce at FB.

As for DMB ... if he's lost his pace, as Bobby Convey has, then he's pretty much going out of the picture. I can see Freddy winding up playing on our left wing in South Africa.

Why are we surprised about Hahnneman? He was one of the best keepers in the EPL the last two years, prior to that he kept for a Reading who positively steamrolled the CCC, and he's at the top of his game this year. I think that Guzan may become a better keeper than Hahnneman currently is, but he is absolutely on the WRONG team. Friedel doesn't take league matches off, and he's NEVER injured. When he was at Blackburn, he was in goal for every match -- including Carling and FA Cup. I hope Guzan is turning out regularly for the reserves, 'cause he's not going to see a lot of first team action between the pipes.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Really Don? I think Guzan is on the best team and here's why:

1) He can learn from one of the best keepers in this nation, and premier league.

2) He's been playing in all the reserve, Carling, UEFA, and (presumably) FA Cup matches. On its face its not ideal, but with Timmy the out-and-out #1, there's really no other better option to be in without completely risking ruining his confidence. Had he pulled a Scott Carson and gone to a crappy side, his stock would have dropped and we're suddenly out of a #2 keeper. Friedel played so much last year because I still cannot find out who his backup was!

3) Unless Friedel is retiring at the end of this season, expect Guzan to be loaned out either in January (unlikely) or over the Summer (likely).

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Most of the selections look about right for now but who knows what will happen in the coming year. My bigest concerns right now are left wing and left back. We don't have a lot of depth at either posiiton.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Why is Hahnemann's inclusion 'interesting' or a surprise? He was on the last World Cup roster... cause they take 3. He never gets called into camp because they never need more than 2 and he's busy playing serious football for Reading. He has no business shipping off to Central America unless he's starting.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I second that, Barry. And I expect at least a couple of those names to change before 2010.

Random thoughts: I agree with moving our left wing to left back and then letting DMB fly forward as a wingback. I'd like to see it tried by BB. It could open up another MF spot for a better attacker (adu) and potentially not lose beas in the meantime. However, a stud DM is needed to allow beas and dolo to attck - and we aren't quite there yet with the DM.

9. nevzter

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's a helluva list, aint it. We could make a great case for a 'B' team with summa those.

Here's the first name I'd strike from any consideration: Eddie Johnson... that's a guy whose head is in a bag he cant open up. He needs to be back in a comfort zone... as in MLS. If he landed the right place, with the right coaching, he'd be a brilliant addition to a team.

Also.. Lewis, Keller, Cooper... had their chances or past it

Holden, unless he really proves something why deal with the unknown
    Perkins: If we're going to have an MLS quality keeper at #3, use an MLS keeper.

11. nevzter

I agree with 'fog's EJ assessment - there's still no there, there. But, he's afforded a 1/4 of a season to seize the day and I hope he does.

I disagree with YA's on-the-fence assessment of Torres, as I rate him highly. He plays regularly for a top team in Mexico / Copa Suda / Copa Libertadores. And he pledged his future to the U.S....with the state of the Mex Nats, he'd probably be a regular right now.

Hopefully, BB can find minutes for him. I like Sasha's potential, and Edu is going to figure his way back in - especially when he's playing in Europe next year, but I'd like to try Torres alongside Bradley and see what happens. Torres brings quickness and vision that is unique in the USMNT.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree. He's a gutsy little fekker also, and he's got a left foot.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I find it interesting that they thought Sascha had a bad game against Mexico - he had the highest passing accuracy of any player on the pitch.

14. nevzter

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Ching's a lock; BB likes the target striker too well and Jozy will need more than one year to fill that role (though I think he's a lock, if healthy, for 2nd striker, with LD on the wing).

I actually like the Ching/Altidore partnership - they have their primary roles, but can reverse roles as the situation warrants; The BC/LD combination isn't as flexible.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

hmmm.....no mention of McBride.....yet.

17. nevzter

18. nevzter

oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please...if only just to be there to teach Jozy a thing or two...

"Brian McBride - F, Chicago Fire (USA)
    Says he'd reconsider if approached? Ok, Bake, 'Will you play?' (CW) ...but does he still have the legs? (MA)"

19. nevzter

Does he have the legs??? Instead of trotting out Connor Casey (sorry buddy, nothing against him, but...), we get McBride for 10-15 minutes? That's not even a debate, despite this juncture in Brian's career, he's still 10x the player Casey will ever be.

Bring him back, Bob, he's willing and would help tremendously...bring him back!

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I'm psychic, and I support nevzter's message.