1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think when cooler minds and detached individuals describe the role of Freddy Adu in the growth of American football, it'll come to be seen as a case of a guy with good individual ball skills who never learned -- despite being exposed to quality coaches in several countries -- how to turn those skills into real football prowess, rather than a collection of eye-pleasing tricks.

It is way too late for Freddy Adu.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I agree with most of what you say Don. I'll add that it's probably very apparent that he has been out of a club for quite sometime now too. He'll probably get one last chance in NASL, because of his name. Whether he takes that last opportunity will be interesting, because I'm not sure his ego is quite ready for that hit.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/07/lichajs-delayed-september.html

At what point do you begin to worry that a player is snake bit? I hope he gets back sooner rather than later and is able to reclaim a starting position.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Terrence Boyd with a goal against PSG in a friendly today (RB Leipzig won 4-2). Even got to swap jerseys with Zlatan. Granted it was a friendly, but RB Leipzig looked like a fun team, a lot of attacking.

[​IMG]

5. BarryWhite

http://www.noshortcorners.com/2014/07/and-now-this-just-yedl-in-too.html

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

7. LaxAttack

Terrence Boyd with a partial torn ACL and he will be out 10 weeks.

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Bad news on Boyd, but I'm glad to see Yedlin pass on Roma. That's probably too big a step up. It's not worth moving to sit on the bench and at a club like Roma, at his age, I'd expect that is what would happen.

9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I don't think there has been a mention of Freddy Adu signing with Serbian side FK Jagodina. The Serbians know talent and know how to develop it so this is a good sign. Jagodina will be playing in the Europa league this season. Despite what the article linked below says, I never saw quotes where Blackpool or Stabaek described Freddy's time there as a "trial", but rather both said Freddy was training with them due to his relationship with the clubs' coaches. Bradley has stated the Norwegian league is not as good as MLS so I doubt Bradley thinks playing for his club is in Freddy's best interest. With what has been going on at Blackpool recently that is obviously a club where Freddy would not want to be.

I am far from giving up on Freddy. Every time he has worn the Nats jersey he has had a positive impact. His last stint in MLS was not a failure. He would have been among the league leaders in assists if his teammates could finish at the time. I saw him make some beautiful passes. He has the vision and the talent.

Don, you once said on here that "Freddy needs to be a part of the MNT" - you said that for a reason.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4176...reddy-adu-signs-with-serbian-club-fk-jagodina

11. LaxAttack

That Serbian team was knocked out of Europa League last week. The press release on their site even promotes that he is a popular player on the Football Manager computer game, which makes me think it is almost a promotional thing rather than they want his talents. And here is a quote from Bob Bradley saying they have passed on him and it was a trial.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... thanded-az

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Okay Lax I stand corrected but I'm still not giving up on Freddy. However, from Bob's comments it sounds like he showed up at Stabaek not even playing as his level of the past.

13. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Adu has shown enough in flashes to think he'd get a shot somewhere. Reading between the lines, I have to think he has a poor attitude or poor work ethic. Could be a problem with monetary demands as well, I suppose. Whatever the case, I think it's pretty safe to say that ship has sailed.

14. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

15. LaxAttack

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It's official, Yedlin is a Spud.

17. BarryWhite

I hope there is a loan plan in place or I am concerned he will just be another number at Spurs.

dcheather likes this.
  18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Have to concur Matt. There are only 2 reasons a player (in any sport) become journeyman types (a bunch of teams over the course of a decade plus). 1. Very professional role player, good in the locker room, really consistent so clubs know exactly what they are getting, and usually on a year to year contract as the team is looking to replace said player w/a prospect. 2. Talented, but delusional on really how good they are, bad in the locker room, inconsistent play, but with flashes that keeps teams thinking they can get the best out of them, and usually ends w/a release or trade that makes you scratch your head. Which one do you think applies to Freddy?? Very rarely does a leopard change his spots this long into his career even if he is relatively young. Freddy has fallen so far off the map that a Lichtenstein 3rd division tryout wouldn't be a shock.

Good to see Lichaj go 88 minutes for Forest in the Capital One or whatever they call it Cup

Ream went 90 on Sat. then followed it up with another 120 more on Tues. in Bolton's Cup match.

19. LaxAttack

18 year old Rubio Rubin made his pro debut at FC Utrecht this weekend, getting the start and playing the whole game.

[​IMG]

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...-stoke-city?CMPID=TWUSA_140819_cameronrequest