Yanks Abroad Article - After the Draw; How will USA do?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Kansas, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Kansas

Kansas New Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

hmmmm; England is NOT a soccer superpower ... okay, if you say so.

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

It's a good article. And the history and performance of England's National Team in the World Cup puts them only barely on one side or other of the "Soccer Superpower" measurement, but without a doubt they have secured absolute legendary status...in their own minds.

By the way, running through the potential matchups and looking at the probable teams to make their way through, USA could eventually meet either Argentina or France in quarterfinals (winnable matches I consider both,although I'd prefer France), and either Italy or Spain in the semi-finals (we always give the Italians a fight and we've beaten Spain). So, assuming we break #1 or #2 in our group, if we can get past arguably the toughest competition in either Germany or Ghana (prefer Ghana re-match, we owe them), then we look at a very real possibility of being in the World Cup Finals against Brazil, Germany, or Netherlands!!!

I'll expect nothing less than for The Bob to get us there. Anything less than making the Finals will be unacceptable.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

but if he can't bring Davies and Gooch back to life, then FIRE HIS ASS.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Glad to see we're all on board then.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I am still buzzed from our draw into the most two-tiered group of the bunch -- you can pick the US and England as #1 or 2 and Algeria and Slovenia as #3 or 4 and you have a pretty good chance of being right.

The finals or bust for Bob? My bar isn't set that high.

As an aside, for group A, there is no bye into the round of 16 for Mexico or France. When we held the WC in '94, how many people wrote that we would get ran out of the tournament on a rail, we didn't deserve to be there, we would be the first host nation not to advance, blah blah blah...

Bufana Bufanais not going to roll over and die for this group. The have an underachieving squad in Mexico, a squad that is only so good in Uruguay, and the less said about France the better. In their own house, they will not roll over and die for any of this lot.