XXIII Tickets for Gold Cup 2011

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Jun 30, 2010.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

As the 2011 Gold Cup gets us a seat in the 2013 Confederation Cup in Brazil, I think we'll play our best.

Here's my current 23, admittedly shooting in the dark; we'll know much more by Christmas.

GK: Howard, Guzan, Seitz

D: Gooch, Bornstein, Spector, Gonzalez, Lichaj, Goodson, Bocanegra, Marshall

M: Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Edu, Clark, Feilhaber, Holden, Torres

F: Altidore, Davies, Buddle, Gomez

Seitz appears to be the best of the new young crop, but still early. Lichaj just got a new contract at Villa and will be fighting for first team football there. Bocanegra will be 32, and I'd guess would still be in the mix next year; he may not be Captain though. Our midfield is our deepest area, still. I went safe - Bedoya and a few others may get a shout.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Why no Jermaine Jones?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

too soon! First we need to know who are manager is going to be. Then we need to know where our players will be earning their living after the transfer window closes.

As for why no Jermaine Jones ... the guy hasn't played in 142 years.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

That's depressing as hell, Andy.. I realize it's only a year away, but I dont care WHAT Franek says.. I dont wanna think about it. Especially with some of those names on there.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

At this point, sure, but presumably he'll have another Bundesliga season under his belt by next summer. I'd happily pencil him in instead of Clark.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Clark got most of his playing time during matches when we couldn't break loose our Europeans. I think you'll find that he'll drift away now that he's based in Europe.

I don't think Jones gets us anything we can't get from our other midfielders -- most of whom are younger and fitter than him anyway. I also have the feeling that most of this was due to his wanting to play in the World Cup. A good display there would be goodfor him contract-wise. I don't see where playing against TNT in the Gold Cup before 8 or 9 viewers from European clubs would do much for him in that arena.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Let's bleed some young talent.

Jack McInerney anyone?

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Jones - yeah, I'd forgotten about him. Let's see if he actually plays first. Plus, he likely won't make the 2014 squad at 33 so is he worth the investment?

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Oh, and you can blame Whitesbhoy for this thread - HE wanted to go with the 23 tickets for WC2014 and I just pulled it back 3 years :-D