Wynalda in trouble AGAIN

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Spencer, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Our boy Waldo has gotten himself in trouble once again.

http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/2007/10/wyn ... .html#more

Good observation Waldo! This blog post is speculation and offers no proof that ESPN will take action. Personally I hope nothing comes of it. Yes yes, it wasn't a very shrewd thing to say on air at this time and I'd probably feel diffrently if my house were laying in ashes. But is this really all that horrendous? I don't think it is. But it seems my definition of an offensive and outrageous comment is out of sync with the media's.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Darryl Strawberry said something harsher years ago (when California was being ravaged by wildfires) when he left the Dodger for the Yankees, without knowing the severity of the situation in California, just trying being flippant and funny (and he was totally skewered in the press and rightfully so).
    I was totally unaware Eric W made that comment, and while I know his intent was not to be hurtful, it is beyond offensive (especially considering he is from the Valley). Over 1000 homeowners have nothing left, 350,000 people had to evacuated and not know if they were coming back to charred remains where there homes once stood. My geuss Spencer is that if Waldo made a remark that hit you closer to home you would be very offended.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I cringed when he said that last night.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Any more offensive than telling the people seeking shelter at the stadium to take a hike for the football game?

Nope, didn't think so.

5. SoCalJoe

PCB; Huh????? The Mayor of San Diego has the final call on the football game (he still hasn't made it). There are about 300 people left at the stadium as of this morning, people are being allowed to go home not being told to "take a hike", nobody from the Chargers has made any such comment, especially since a bunch of players, coaches, and team officials had to evacuate themselves. And believe me if anyone did, they would be getting crushed out here in the media and court of public opinion. I know you want to come to the defense of Eric, but what he said was flat out offensive to anyone who lives here.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Didn't say it wasn't offensive. My understanding from what I saw on television was that they were telling those who were seeking shelter at the stadium that they were not allowed such for the football game.

You are much closer to the situation than I, so I defer to you, SoCal.

I wouldn't blow Wynalda's comment out of proportion either, though. Had you heard that at a bar anywhere else but So. Cal, not such a big deal to most. Say it while on television (and while knowingly being recorded), then it is more a problem understanding the medium he is operating in. Wynalda would do well to hire a PR consultant.

7. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I agree. I think it was stupid and insensitive, but the guy shouldn't lose his job over it or anything.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

9. SoCalJoe

Sounds like the author has an axe to grind. I don't advocate Waldo losing his job (I've always liked his straight forward 'off the cuff' commentary) or even him giving a public apology. I would just hope (especially since he's from here, I didn't know he played at SDSU) Waldo realizes how messed up his comment was.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

When I heard this last night I figured someone would have an issue with it and rightfully so. I do not want Wynalda to get the sack or anything, but the man must be more conscious of what he is saying on the air.

11. Lyle

Lyle New Member

It's kind of funny though. I'm from Louisiana and even I can take jokes/flippant comments about Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Storms, flooding, and fires are just a part of life, and there can be humor in it. Timing was inappropriate, but not being from southern California I laughed. Just keeping it real.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I would not be displeased to see Waldo go. If this comment is what it takes, then yes, I am extremely offended by it.

A bit of circular logic, perhaps, but when I put on a soccer game, it is to watch the game, not listen to Waldo's monologue.

13. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I said before, I'll say again:
    Waldo's forte is the studio analysis desk. If I could get to SOMEONE at ESPN, I would STRONGLY suggest they move him there.

As it is, the 'Howard Cosell'/'Don Meredith' schtick is wearing thin.