World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Theoldguy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

World Cup 06 Finals...France vs Itlay

My head say's Italy and if that happens it will make the USA look a little better, but my heart is with France.... The old man Zinedine Zidane sure has looked great dispite his age........

France 2 Italy 1

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Italia!

Seem to dive at least a little less. And while many people may consider that part of the game, it really is cheating.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FFC! Gotta lighten up on the divers. When defenses are as good as they are, you have to look for an edge. That's the striker's job. There's a difference between going for a free kick and trying to get an opponent carded, however.

As for the match, I'm the opposite of theoldguy. My heart is with France [sorry P-fog] I think Viera has been flawless and Ribery is the essense of the "Run 'til you drop" style that used to be emblematic of the Prem. I also think that Henry is the best striker in the Prem and one of the two or three best in the world. Having said that, I don't see how anyone can stop Italy. They were magnificent in the semis.

Italia 2 France 0 -- I'll be in the air for most of the match. I'm just hoping that there's a TV available in Memphis that's tuned to the match when I'm changing planes.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm not sure about this one, both teams are very good. Both are loaded with players that are smooth and efficient with the ball, I hate to see one these teams lose.

But I'm part French, not Italian. Viva la France. :3d footy:

But I think Italy will win in a tight match...1-0.

And go Deutschland.

5. CincyFulham

CincyFulham New Member

I will support whoever gets behind first or seems to be the underdog. Should be a good match though.

6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

FORZA AZZURRI.

I have loved Totti's free kicks from 30+ yards out, he hasn't scored on them yet but he just goes all out and usually gets them on target. Toni can be a threat but has been hot and cold all tournament.

It is a real tough match to call so I'm not sure who will take it.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I hope the Germany v. Italy referee calls the final. In my opinion, he did the best job yet. Very few yellows and let them duke it out.

I think it will be a great match. Two teams with heart, passion, great skills, and some uniques individuals and stories.

[Don - Yo comprendo, but I don't believe in the win at all costs philosophy. Played sports all my life, and played on winning teams. The teams that thought they had to cheat (even just a little) never ended up winning the whole thing. Perhaps Karma, perhaps a guilty conscience and mental block that prevented them from feeling like they deserved it, or perhaps the other team resolved themselves to not let the cheaters win. Regardless, in the end, they only cheat themselves. If they do somehow obtain victory, it surely is hollow.]

8. Denny

Denny New Member

ITALY WINS 0-0{4-3}

9. RDG

RDG Member

Well, at least Saha won't be playing in the final. He played a total of what? 15-20 minutes the entire tournament and gets two yellow cards in the knock-out stage??

Oh, and PLEASE don't let this go to PK's!!! I think we've been there before (and wasn't Italy?) in '94. Not a good way to determine a champion. Yeah, I realize that it's probably better than the alternatives, but still . . .

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

After many years of not being able to stand PK's, I have now warmed up to them. I figure after 120 minutes of at least nine of these guys being out there, going full boar, and it is still tied, well then now it is time to test the mettle of the booters and the keepers. The PK's are no gimmees by then, and the keepers actually look excited for the opportunity (if they are worth their salt).

That said, I hope it does not go to PK's either. Perhaps a game winner at 119 minutes, 35 yards out, top left corner from the right side of the field, outside of the right foot. Bend it baby!

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Guess that would be at least 8 of those guys, and actually minus the keeper, 7. Bah, damn red wine!

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

I feel your pain! :lol:

13. americanmike

RE: Re: RE: World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

1-1 after full time. A great match thus far but the Italians look the more tired. Forza Italia!

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Re: RE: World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

Italia wins on penalties. Not a great way to win a World Cup, but it does the trick. I thought France outplayed them for most of the match, but Italy was effective on the counter. And Zinedine Zidane ends his career in disappointment. I still can't believe what he did. :|

Congrats to Italy.

15. americanmike

Re: RE: Re: RE: World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

Zinedine is bowing out in disgrace, what was he thinking?! I can't believe what he did either. I thought France outplayed Italy for much of the match but just couldn't get one in the back of the net. You could really tell Italy were tired and the tournament had taken its toll on them.

Now I'm going to make some pasta, meat sauce and garlic bread. Some Chianti is in order also and maybe even a cappucino.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

When I arrived in BTR, I got to baggage claim just in time to see the French receiving medals, but a call to the missus confirmed the score. Ah Well. Rool on South Africa 2010!

17. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

I have written my friend in Paris, to see what the Press and the French are saying about the play. Watching at Crew Stadium no one, and I mean no one, could believe what they saw on the replay....

What I would like to know is what the Italian player must has said to Zinedine for him to blow up like he did, and what player kicked the PK in place of Zinedine.

Finally I won four tickets to the Everton vs Crew match on July 26, and I just wanted to know if the our Tee-shirts will be avaiable proir to this game, so I can wear it to show Everton that they aren't the EPL team of choice at least to me and my family.....

18. jimbobob

jimbobob New Member

Just somebody find out what triggered Zinedine's head butt. I must admit, and I may be the only one, but I hate the way Italy plays rolling around on the ground all the time at the slightest contact! I felt like head butting them all. There is no excuse for what Zinedine did because France had Italy on their heels most of the match especially the second half. I hope we find Zinedine had some kind of provacation. Too bad they lost!

:shock:
    :coffee:

19. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

A few observations:
    It was a very entertaining match; too bad it had to go to PKs.
    Not sure what ZZ was thinking--I can't imagine anything that anyone could say to me that would cause me to a) headbutt and not take a swing and b) do so (butt or punch) in my last-ever game in the WC final. That's not even competitiveness. That's just stupid.
    To solve the problem of PKs deciding a game, what about corner kicks? It's far more fair to the keepers than PKs and you could set it up like college football--each team gets a chance until someone doesn't score after the other does. I would even allow one sub per team to get some fresh legs in there. Just seems to be a better competition idea and more exciting than PKs.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Re: RE: World Cup 06 Finals... France vs Italy

I say, "props to the newbie;" think this pretty much nailed it.