Womens World Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Sep 11, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

US draw against North Korea. Shocking.

Typical commie propaganda coup. But after the last one which I attended several games, I find myself having very little interest.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have a lot of interest, but not quite enough to get up at 3 a.m. to watch live. Evidently DPRK has a good side.

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I've just been watching England v Japan. I can't say that womens football grips me. I would rather watch a conference game.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Women Basketball.....good
    womens golf........good
    womens track & field....good

womens soccer.....not good
    womens hockey.....reallly really bad

The drop off in pace is just too much. If this were compensated for in another area than it might be all right, but its not, its a worse game in every aspect. I don't mind it in person but on TV I have to work not to drift off.

The North Korea game is on replay tonight at 6CT on ESPN 2.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Re: RE: Womens World Cup

But darked skinned, young women with an English accent, however......
    :3d smile:
    Sorry, too much information?

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Re: RE: Womens World Cup

Watch the highlights of the England-Japan game on Fifa.com - the Japanese goals are impressive.

I like the women's game; it is far different than the men's game, but in an of itself, I enjoy it.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I caught the last 15-20 minutes of the US-NK game this morning and the US was badly outplayed during that time in my opinion. NK got to almost every loose ball, they had far more pace, they looked in much better condition than the US did and had the only meaningful shots on or near the goal.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also enjoy women's soccer. The Big12 championships have been held in SA for the last couple of years. I've watched quite a bit on TV and hope to make it down to McFarlane for a match or two this Spring. I also enjoy the NCAA tourney and have followed the USWNT since I got back from Old Blighty in '93.

I hope we win it all again. It would be nice to see a left footer who wears #13 pick up the World Cup trophy again.

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Germany 11 - Agentina 0

Someone just got fired, then re-hired, and then fired again! Just to make sure they had proven their point.

10. pettyfog

The women's game is too volatile for anyone to panic. Look at the rise and fall of the great teams... Brazil and Norway to boot. They are too thin and too reliant on superstars. The only BEST bet for any country is to reach the quarters.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Both Canada and Austrailia got big wins today. Well done to both of them.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Got up at 5 am to watch USA vs Sweden. Good win for the USA vs the #3 team in the world.

If you want to see an incredible goal, go to FIFA.com and watch the highlights from the North Korea-Nigeria game. Koreans' first goal is impressive.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Is it chauvinistic to say that I want the USA to keep playing well so I can see more of Hope Solo on TV?

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Probably not. You're not alone, dude. I would also like to see Natasha Kai get on the pitch for many of the same reasons.

15. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Heather Mitts getting hurt is the worst news of all of the world cup. I mean - I know she is fully aware that she is hot.... Normally that is a turn-off, but who am I to disagree.

Hope Solo grew up about an hour from me. (I didnt know her personally). But - That is one tough chick.

How many more sexist statements can I make. Dont let my wife see this or I will be in trouble.

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

This is the conundrum.

How to keep USWNT still kind of cute and sexy, but still the best in the world?

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've struggled with that conundrum my entire life. :shock: It's really difficult. :wink:

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It is, after all, a matter of national security.

Be all you can be, Don. Which used to be an Army of One, but I have forgotten what they have changed it to now.

19. pettyfog

It'll be fine and stay as it is as long as Lesbian groups dont start sponsoring Youth Soccer, and preteen girls stay as socially nasty as they always been.

How's that for carrying giving offense to new levels?!

Solo would be too much for most guys. Women GK's are tough as nails. Just judging from my local coaching experiences

20. Jensers

Jensers New Member

One of my graduated players is playing for the guy who coached Solo in High School. Yes - that is one tough chick. She would break you (Me too).

Why is this in the "Other Sports" category by the way?

The game against Sweden was interesting. Sweden had plenty of chances, but the US capitalized. Wambach's 2nd goal was amazing.