Women's Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I know it's not the same as the USMNT, but in case you wanted to see a US v. Mexico game there is one on tonight. Hopefully, a 2-0 scoreline for the home side. :wink:

U.S. Women vs. Mexico
    Live on FSC
    11/22/2006 7:00 PM PT

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Women

:lol:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 81517.html

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

What's your Reading prediction? And, should I visit the bookmakers? Good shout DCH.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

GBFC, it's a common scoreline when our US Men's team plays Mexico (our hated rivals) in soccer. I figured it would work for our Women's team, too. :D

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Is that USA Mexico matchup the same as always?

US v Mexico's US college players?

As to Reading...

They seem to be coming off two convincing wins. Time to bring them back to earth.... I picked them, before the season, to easily stay in the Prem, but let's get real.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry to have missed the USWNT game as well as the other semi. No FSC in the undisclosed location.

Love the gal's game!

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Don, the US v. Canada final will be on tomorrow at 5:30 PM PT on FSC.

I'm thinking a pretty close game, 2-1 to US.

And let's hope the US Men's team has a new coach named next week, if the rumors are true. According to reports, there is supposed to an announcement after the Women's Gold Cup and by the end of the month. 8)

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Heather, I'll be missing these matches also. The Tim and Bob Show will be performing Sunday night [love outdoor gigs in late November!].

By the way, thanks for the simul play-by-play in the chatroom this morning.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Hmmmmm I have a tough time choosing sides on this one. I'm a citizen of both the United States and Canada and have lived in both countries. Normally in situations like this I end up going with the US and A but I have a tendency, as I'm sure many of you here do seeing that were all Fulham fans, to cheer for the underdogs. Its undoubtable that Canada are the underdogs here.

If this were a mens game I'd be all for the US, I can't stand to cheer against the USMNT in any situation, but it must be said that my connection to the women's team is not nearly as strong.

The other issue is do I pathetically revert to male instinct and cheer for the team with the more attractive ladies? If I do than its clear I'll be siding with the US. I still can't make up my mind, I guess this will have to be a game time decision.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

DCH knows her footie. :wink:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 81522.html

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

In the end I cheered for Canada. I figured whats a another Gold Cup for the US? They've won everything before. Thus the US win in Extra time left me a little disappointed.

I must say I don't see the USWNT regaining the World Cup. To me they lack an edge. American soccer suffers from this one touch menality where no one takes risks. I think the problem is magnified on this womens team. Canada is known for their lack of style and grinding out results. Or at least this is the analysis I've heard Julie Foudy give in the past. Yet in this game the US was hardly any better in this area. They move the ball alright in the midfield but no one takes anyone on. Theres no weaving runs just early crosses and long balls. Usally gigantic Wambach gets a hold of one or two and finishes um.

It works......sorta. We all know the rest of the world continues to get better in the womens game. The football on display during the last European championship by Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland ect. was in my opinion superior to what the US has offered lately.

My last point is that the next world cup will be in the US but in China. This in my mind will be a big adjustment for the US after playing the last two world cups on home soil. We were unable to win last time on home soil and I think taking the cup in China will be considerably harder. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the US winning the World Cup. Canada is hardly the class of the world and the US really struggled and nearly lost last night.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I agree with you Spencer, the USWMNT isn't what it used to be. And I don't think they'll win the World Cup either, that will go to Germany again. I remember mentioning to Don in a previous thread, that US Women's team was lacking something, they just ain't what they used to be. The women's team has really been missing a player of Hamm's caliber and they'll need to find someone to replace her skills, if they want to be dominant again.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Replacing the entire Mia Hamm package is the impossible dream. Just have to graft along with what we have and hope for a good result in China.

What we've got isn't bad, it just isn't the 91ers.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes I think you'd have to regard Germany as the favorite as they are the defending European and World champions. I'm interested to see if China can mount a real challenge. I understand that they to are half they were. But we know just how much home field advantage matters in the World Cup and I'm interested to know if the same will apply to the womens version. It will be interesting to see just how big and enthusiastic the crowds in China are and if the Chinese team steps up to the challange.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

The next USA Hammer is in the works. Look for him/her on Team USA circa 2025. (Let's hope s/he gets Mia's shnoz, no offense Nomar.)

http://pub28.bravenet.com/news/2340109679/101048/1

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah; this was the subject of my Texas Sports Hall of Fame post this morning which all of you ... sniff sniff ... ignored.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Did somebody just post something about Texas Sports Hall of Fame? Must have been the wind. :wink:

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

How to unbury the ignored and quickly covered up post? (poor thing)

A question for much more messageboard savvy people than myself.