WKC Rules!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Feb 15, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

tonight and tomorrow night are a veritable feast for the Hatter family. Beginning on USA [and then switching to CNBC] is the annual Westminster Kennel Club Show. It's back tomorrow night for the 'BIG SHOW' on USA all evening.

Forget the Olympics. This is the real deal. The only time I've missed this in the last few years is when I was "under the knife" three years ago.

I have my favorites -- German Shorthaired Pointer and Australian Sheepdog have won recently -- but as usual I'll be rooting hardest for the Fulham of all the breeds. The always classy greyhound, looks brilliant and moves like a dream but never quite seems to win it all.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm pullin' for underdog.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Underdog v Santas Little Helper

classic

I used to watch WKC.. but Best in Show sorta ruined it, real thing cant top that...along with the various 'dog trials' or is that doglympics?

I mean would you rather watch a fashion show runway or 'survivor?

Greyhound? Sorry Don... Maybe they'll start a sorta Specialolympics for Dogs show and reclassify that breed.
    There should be one so Dalmations Afghans and Greyhounds have a chance.

{I know.. but I've only known two afghans and they arent really stupid.. just way self centered}
    and OF COURSE, the first dog up today is an Afghan!

And, seriously, the freakin commentary proves exactly why 'Best in Show' ruined watching this.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Not being a pet person, I'll stick with the Olympics.

5. pettyfog

Well yer allowed but you know that purty much makes you unamerican.
    Especially about dogs.. cuz dogs RULE.

- - - -- - - - -
    It's too easy to poke fun at the tv announcers so lets focus on the show PA:

"The Toy Terrier loves to join in family activities"

Hmm as opposed to what breeds?
    Oh, right.. from what I know, the Dalmation and the Afghan.

And from what I know, all toy and miniatures not only love to join in, they insist it be all about them.
    - - - - -- - - -

Bichon Friese: 'High Spirited' 'intelligent'
    - translation: Guaranteed to piss on your carpet to punish you if you ignore it or leave it alone when it doesnt want to be. I'm serious, I know them.

Dalmation: 'natural affinity to horses' 'loyal'
    ummmhmmm!
    -translation: Thinks horse is god but will convert to elephant worship if confronted, highly dependent

DAmn! I hate poodles! Not the poor dogs, they cant help it esp the standards, they're good boys... Wouldnt you think that someday the shows are gonna prohibit that sort of grooming?
    - - - - - - -
    herding dogs coming up now... my kinda, along with certain hunters!
    ie; working dogs REALLY RULE
    Best dog I ever had was a cross between Sheltie Collie mix and pure black cocker. looked like a toy Blue Tick except white chest blaze on the brown and white toes.
    EXCELLENT farm dog, really smart and never made a mistake twice. Great ratter. A fighter AND a lover.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Fog! I think we've discovered your best calling. Glad you watched. The greyhound that finished second in the hounds class is the best we've seen in a very long time. The fact that it had similar color and markings to our beloved Doonz didn't hurt. We shed a few tears watching that competition.

A few comments on your comments:

It appears we have Dalmatians in common. No wonder that neither of us has much patience with contrariness, and that both of us are so knee jerk contrary. You need a butt-load of oneryness if you're going to own a Dalmatian. Whenever anyone asks me about owning a Dalmatian, I tell them that the best thing about having done it once is that you're never tempted to do it twice.

Re-poodles: Every poodle I've met in real life has been a pretty good dog. They tend to be humorous, and the bigger versions would be good to have by your side if some Jack Russell is nipping at your grandchild. Like you, I hate the fact that they do those bizarre cuts. Last night's abomination may have been the worst ever.

The best thing about Best in Show [Christopher Guest's BEST parody movie IMHO], is that Fred Willard's performance lampooned Joe Garagiola so perfectly that he never got the gig again. I've never met a dog show person who didn't love that movie.

I like mutts too. We had pretty much sworn off purebreds after the Dalmatian [my first wife raised and showed Rough Collies], but the opportunity to rescue a racing greyhound was too good to pass up. They're already house trained and leash trained and they sleep more than a cat. They are also the greatest animals known to man, and we got the very best one [Martin-in-Nashville will likely argue].

Good solid entertainment, and the commercials are choice -- especially the Subaru series. We'll be DVRing it again tonight. I got a FB comment from my nephew asking me if it was true that the losing contestants at Westminster get slaughtered after the show. I laughed, but then I thought "That's not a bad idea ... for the Winter Olympics."

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Fog beat me to the Best in Show reference (right there w/This is Spinal Tap).

My wife and daughter watched a few minutes last night to get a few 'look how cute' moments.

8. pettyfog

Friend had a dalmation. dunno why he picked it.. but he long suffered snickers.
    When the poor thing finally died he came clean:
    "Dummest Effin' dog EVER!"

Told story of how he had to constantly clean nose prints off patio door. Said the dog actually had his nose to the glass and saw a squirrel run across back yard.

Dalmie backed up to get a running start and knocked himself out.
    - - - - - - -- - - -
    I got dog stories out the kazoo.

Inky the PB american cocker I referenced above was a real sweetie, preceded Disney's Lady and the Tramp. But by the time that came out, AKC kennels had bred the cocker into one nasty little varmint. News was full of incidents and warnings about cockers and kids.
    Friend had one and no matter how many times that dog saw me or any stranger, it went for me. And not my ankles.

I told the guy if that dog launched itself at me again, I'd step aside, grab it by the hind legs and bash its brains out.
    Tho I love dogs...
    A - I meant it then, I mean it now.

B - I've practiced and know I can do it... until I get a lot feebler
    - - - - - -
    Socko, her son from above was a great groundhog killer.. but he started out 0-1. Got lip half torn off. From that time on they couldnt touch him.. he just waited till they got away from hole, then circled them till got they dizzy and fell over. Final record about 1-15 in his favor.

He was a great one wit de bitches. He'd be gone for a couple days then sleep all the next day after he got back. Was noted several miles and farms away.
    One day though he got hit by a car when he tried to cross the road starting on his rounds. He was laid up for several days and it was touch and go at first.
    After he recovered, he continued same as always, except he would look one way, then the other, then back up road in the nearest lane and trot calmly across.

When it was time to move hog farrowing coops we would call Socko and he'd sit waiting for us to lift the coop with a pry bar. He'd then kill any rat that ran out.
    One time we lifted and he ran under and stayed there several seconds but two rats ran out the other side like a streak to the barn. We held the thing up waiting for him to come out and started cussing him cause the rats were almost to safety. He finally came out on a dead run and caught one, gave it a flip then the other and dispatched it.

When we moved the coop there were three more dead rats beneath it.

Elapsed time: about 5 seconds.

But he never ever wasted our time smelling rats and barking his fool head off. He seemed to understand there was a time and place.

He chased rabbits for fun but never killed them after he brought one back and we scolded him for it.
    He'd go with us hunting and actually pointed on pheasant or quail without being trained to do it.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I'm more of a rescue dog kind of guy myself, but I could get behind the purebred greyhound idea since it's the same principle.

The dalmation stories are interesting. I have a friend who raises them and I'd gotten a much different impression of the breed from her.

10. pettyfog

WKC: beam 'em up, Scottie!

'Sadie' the Scottie wins.

Good! At least it's a real old timey dog been around H'umerica almost forever .

Nonna them damn saggy frou frou imports.

---

Say... something occurred to me. If these damn dogs are so special, why not 'free-range' them in the ring.
    When I was showing cattle as a kid we weren't allowed to 'tight-leash' em. Meaning we couldnt make the hold head high with tension. And a steer's a helluva lot harder to 'train' for stance than a dog.

Damn dogs should not need a leash at all.