Will you be remembering armistice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Nov 9, 2006.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

It will have been 88 years since the end of WW1 on Saturday. I know Veterans' Day has replaces Armistice Day in the US and in the UK we hold services or Rememberance for British and Commonwelth soldiers.

Will people be doing anything to mark the date? Anyone attending a parade? Is it still relevant to modern living?

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I kind of doubt people hardly take notice anymore.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

In smaller towns like the one I grew up in there will be a small parade. I think there are a few smaller parades in Chicago as well. Flags will fly on the bridges and such as well.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll fly my flag. I'll say "you're welcome" to people who haven't said "thanks." 8) I'll watch Portsmouth v. Fulham on the tube and chat in the chatroom.

But there's a difference between 11/11 here and over there. Veterans Day is to salute veterans. Memorial Day is to honor those who have fallen in the battlefield. It was designed as a national healer after the Civil War and predates 11/11. In practice, the focus of Veterans Day here is folks like me -- who went, came back, and appreciate a moment of calm respect.

Watching the fitba on the telly and seeing the poppies on the collars of the coaches always takes me back to my Novembers in England. The most moving thing I've ever seen occurs at the Royal Albert Hall during the military exercizes, when the poppies fall from the ceiling in absolute silence. Never made it through that production dry-eyed.

"In Flanders' Fields, the poppies grow ..."

GBFC, you do love to build bridges across the water to your FulhAmerican mates. Speaking for the lot of us, I say "thanks, mate!" :D

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Used to be a fairly big deal when I was a school kid in the fifties, even had the poppies, and all and almost always had to read -or most often, listen to teacher recite- 'Flanders Fields'... though I cant remember if it was a school-out . Some take it off, some dont I guess

And i echo Don... good to have you here as the 'Anti-Bumpy'.

Hmmm .. in fact...

- - - - - - - - - - -