Wigan v. Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Lyle, Sep 11, 2007.

1. brianasher

brianasher New Member

As I read it from Yahoo! Sports :

Fulham on the attack, Kamara looks left to Davies, on-touch back into Kamara who slips it to Dempsey WHO MAKES NO MISTAKE WITH THE FINISH FOR 1-0! Three in three for amateur rapper Dempsey, the American relishing the more advanced role Lawrie Sanchez is giving him! :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. mjmwild

mjmwild New Member

Shit - they scored. 1-1

3. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

Yeah. It was an awful PK given up by Bouzza. He had no business making the challenge he did. And no Fulham was not getting peppered in the second half. Neimi has had nothing to do, but then Bouzza gave up that stupid penalty. Dempsey also had two really good chances in the second half to score a second, but couldn't capitalize.

4. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

Game over 1-1. That was so disappointing to once again be a goal up and not come away with 3 points.

5. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Welcome to the world of FULHAM

6. mjmwild

mjmwild New Member

We're much, much better...give it time. We'll get there!

7. CincyFulham

CincyFulham New Member

"Rats!" -Charlie Brown

8. BC

BC New Member

I've posted this before but I'll do it again: we HAVE to be able to win 1-0. Remember that huge string of draws near the end of last season? Turn one or two of those into a win and we're never worrying about relegation. It's matches like this one that absolutely need to win if we are ever going to move up the table. Until that happens, the relegation line will always be just over the horizon.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Geesh given the size of the top of Bouazza's head you'd think he might have a brain in it. Such an unnecessary, lazy, stupid penalty to give up. Disappointing.

A point on the road is alright but given that we had the lead and Wigan was totally worthless we need to do better. Dempsey isn't acoustomed to forward but he's doing well. Scoring obviously and flicking the ball on to others quite effectivly. Even if Kamara isn't setting the world alight I really like him and think he's effective. Smeritn wasn't quite himself but Hughes looked good.

Sanchez said on sky;
    "Were doing 80% of what I want when we do 100% we'll be a decent team"
    I'll take his word for it, hopefully we come up with something next week.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i'm bummed that we didnt get all 3 points, but whatever. its better than a loss.

and is anyone else feeling completely out of place so far this season? i mean, fulham only have 5 points. but i dont feel any sense of desperation. if this was last season under cookie i'd probably be crapping my pants - and its only september! is it just i being hoodwinked by ls, or does anyone else feel this odd sensation?

talk to me goose!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

relax, Maverick.

Two things: 1. Deeper squad with greater over all strength. 2. Resiliant fighting spirit.

We were screwed out of three points by bad refereeing/line work, otherwise we'd be in the top 10.

12. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

While the draw is not a win, it's still better than a loss. BUT we do need to start pulling in some wins. The next few weeks are going to be tough for Fulham with games against Man City and Chelsea. It may be a bleak fall at the Cottage, but if we pull through until the winter, then we should do just fine.

13. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

What I find both encouraging and dismaying is that we've had a real chance to win every single game this season, with the exception of the match against Spurs (when we were lucky to get a draw). To wit:

@ Arsenal: led 1-0 in the 83'
    v. Boro: led 1-0 at half time, had chances to go up 2-1, got screwed out of equalizer
    @ Villa: led 1-0 at half time
    @ Wigan: led 1-0 in the 80'

This makes me confident of the team's quality: Fulham is IN every match, they just need to finish stronger. 7 of the 9 league goals they've scored have come in the first half, when they're outscoring opponents 7-3. Yet 8 of 11 goals conceded have come in the second half and an astonishing 5 of those 8 have been scored after the 80th minute. I don't know why this is, but they need to correct it and start buckling down in the last 10 minutes of matches (as they did against Spurs which so far is the bizarro match of the season).

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Attention: our British contingent -- Stu, Mikey, WhiteWitch, ormandroyd, vonbilly, et.al!!!!!!

I know the Wigan match wasn't on TV and that highlights on MOTD can suck if you're not United or Arsenal so ... can someone who made the trip up the Road to Wigan Pier [literary reference, there], post an assessment of how Hughes looked? Did he slot in at CB? How'd he look working with the rest of the back four. From what I've been able to glean from the offal, the entire D looked better and PK had yet another blinder, but ...

I want some FUSA eyewitness evaluations! Thanks.

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I missed the game but my biggest questions are:

1) How did Hughes look?
    2) Did Baird look better this weekend?

Fulham's success seems to be how well the four on the back play. I am happy there seems to be signs of life up top compared to last season, but the defense needs to be there if they want to collect some points.

16. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I just wanted to comment how much fun it was to chat (room) with everyone during the game. Of course, if Fulham is on TV (TV in office only has basic cable), I can't participate, but it's a perfect companion to listening to the game on MatchLive.

17. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

totally agree. even without don, fog, chitom, et al it was great time.

andy - where in bmore are you? we should meet up sometime for a match.

18. WVfulhamfan

WVfulhamfan New Member

I thought Hughes looked good. Baird looked better, and I also thought Bocanegra played his most solid game of the season so far. PK was solid as usual. To be fair though, Wigan looked pretty shocking offensively for most of the game. That is what made the draw so dissappointing for me. Deuce was really good and got that goal, but he still missed two clear chances to put the game out of reach, but I am still feeling pretty good at how we are playing. I also thought Seoul looked good the 10 minutes he played, and put in a beautiful cross.

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

timmyg. PM sent.