Why we are divided as a society - numbskull media!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 8, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Presumably the reporter/writer wasted 4 years on an education... for what!

Adolescence: No Link to Promiscuity Found in Youths Using Condoms

One must assume, by the lead-in, this is meant as a response to those who claim that Sex Education curricula involving condom use, vs 'abstinence only' education leads to promiscuity.

Suppose it were specifically pointed out that that the content of the curricula was 'weighted out'. Then wouldnt this 'news' be received with a big 'DUH!'?

Seems to me it's only common sense...

Suppose they did a survey on teens about attitudes on condom use... would they find that those teens who strongly advocated condom use also were likely to have a different view on sex, as a whole?
    Of course!
    Wouldnt we find that those who laughed at, or were indifferent to, the use of condoms were likely to be more promiscuous?

{edit} It occurs to me that since i seem to think differently on socio-political issues, I'd better explain.

Here's a prediction:
    If they do a study on those who continue to use condoms though they used a condom first time and it failed, they will ALSO find those subjects experience fewer pregnancis and STD's.

If they do a study on those who DONT use a condom first time but have second thoughts about it and use them, thereafter, they will find less incidence of pregnancy and STD.

If they do a study on those who would greatly prefer to use a condom, but for some reason have no access to them, they will find less incidence of pregnancy and STD.

What's next in this wonderful world of adolescent anthropology...

"Teens who observe all driving rules involved in fewer fatalities!"

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I must say fog for someone who claims to "give no money to that rag" you do seem to post a lot of their articles.

As for the article, it was stating the obvious yes. So we all know that teens have sex, we know the ones who use a rubber are less likely to impregnate or get HIV, we don't really need a NYT's article to tell us such its common sense as you say.

So why is it such a struggle to agree that we should be preaching condom use to teens! I can't begin to understand people’s hang-ups on this issue.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Sorta off topic:

My sister has told me that at her school they have a "condom basket" so as anyone who needs one can take one for free. Some apparently abuse the resource and use them not for there intended purpose but to blow them up like balloons and play with them during class. I suppose that could disrupt the learning process, an argument that could be useful for Robertson, Falwell, and what ever other hacks are still against preaching the benefits of condoms.