Why McCain just MIGHT NOT win..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 31, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. can be deduced from this:

NYPost Opinion: GOP ACHILLES HEEL
    HOW REPUBLICANS LOST WEST

There's no doubt. When you cant tell from the overall results and speeches heard, whether the elected is conservative or liberal, then why settle for the imitation.

It's pretty apparent that the voters arent the only ones giving up. Too many Republican electeds of conservative bent are retiring, as well.

And even those who have left DC before, are loathe to go back.

John Kasich {Heartland on Fox} a good example. He's thinking of running for Ohio Governor. While it's not apparent, yet, that he'd do anything different or better than Strickland. While we KNOW he's be better for the country than Sherrod Brown, or even Voinovich.

Why? I think because he really hates DC.

2. pettyfog

OTOH:
    Ed Morrissey discounts credit McCain's staff gives bloggers for helping keep his campaign alive during the doldrums of last year.

Read the comments, esp from Michelle Malkin.. too bad Michelle, you felt like like I did but you SAID so very publicly. And no one cared what I thought.

Seems to me Morrissey got his job on 'Hot Air' much on his McCain coverage.

3. pettyfog

Breaking: Is John McCain a Cylon?

via Instapundit, a question from more than one blogger. Just like Colonel Tigh?

I'm tired of all the back slapping adulation of message-ridden {to the point of mind numbing} Battlestar Galactica, and I said that before. Thus I'll let you all decide if it's true.

- - - - - -
    Other McCain news: just watched him on the View. handled all the tough questions very well.

Whoopee: What about your view on MLK

McC: I made a mistake {triangulates a little on how the NVN made propaganda cake on the assassination}

Bitch on Wheels {you know who I mean}: So was Iraq a mistake?
    McC: {250 milliseconds later} No! {how the after-math was handled WAS a mistake}

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: Breaking: Is John McCain a Cylon?

I don't see McCain losing Utah and Idaho (half the GOP voters could stay home and they'd still carry the state), but I agree that the rest are in jeopardy, especially Colorado.

Except, of course, for Arizona. The same state that elects him Senator isn't NOT going to vote for him for President.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about the solid Republican west, andy. I think it's solid as ever for the Republican Party. And I wouldn't assume that the Arizona Republicans are any more solid for McCain than any of the neighboring states. Remember that it was the Arizona Republican Party that was one of the first state organizations to embrace GWB in the 2000 campaign -- while McCain was more than viable in the race.

And I don't give much credit to there being a lot of disgusted Republicans staying home. I think there'll be a good turnout with two candidates who disagree so strongly on so many key points.

It bears saying again. If McCain meets Clinton in the race, McCain's president by 100-125 electoral votes. If McCain meets Obama in the race, McCain's president by 150-175 votes. And I won't be unhappy with either result.

I just wish that January 2009 would have been the culmination of eight years of a McCain presidency rather than beginning of four years. We would ALL be better off today if this were the case.

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yep... McCain should have been President instead of Bush.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Holy Crap, Lyle; we agree about something! :?: :shock: :lol:

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Even worse, I am in agreement too, and hopeful for McCain in November. He's my horse in this race.

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Mine too. His loss in 2000 To Bush was unfortunate.....and not my preference.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Don. Most of my friends across the country are Republican. Based on comments from them, I would guess that less than 20% of them will vote for McCain. Most of them are Romney supporters and would rather go through four years of Clinton/Obama so that Romney can win in 2012 than see McCain in office (which could delay Romney until 2016 and could hurt his chances for election). For people for whom the social issues are of paramount importance, you've got to get down to the fineprint to see the differences between McCain and his Democratic rivals.

To put things in perspective, many of these people STILL LIKE Bush because of his strong conservative social stances. I'm more moderate overall than most of my friends, but that is the one area that even I (not a Bush supporter at all...) give GWB a passing score on.

McCain is simply NOT a social conservative and that is a big mark against him for many Republicans.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

andy, I understand why there are "single-issue" voters, and I know that it was those whose single issue was abortion who turned the tide for Bush against Gore in 2000. Having said that, voting against a guy in YOUR party because he doesn't grasp your single issue as strongly as you feel he should is -- pardon my bluntness -- ludicrous. So is assuming that (a) once elected the Democrat would be easy to unseat in four years and (b) that the party whose social conservatives so shunned the Mormon Romney in favor of the Southern Baptist Huckabee will find -- in four years -- the Mormon candidate more palatable.

What Romney has shown the Republican check writers is that even with his resume behind him, he can't beat a guy who was declared dead 6 months before the Iowa caucuses, and the South doesn't buy his social conservative credentials. Why would they trust him to unseat a Democratic incumbent?

No, what's really going to happen is that the Hate Obama machine that's already in full cry [see the Reverend Wright hysteria and this site's Obama women thread as early examples. It'll get much worse by the week.] will convince the Republican faithful that staying home or voting for the Democrats will be turning the country over to the wrong people. Perhaps those people who voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 because of his abortion stance, will look back at his 8 years and see a ravaged economy, an unnecessary war, rising debt and financial shenanigans, and abortion STILL BEING LEGAL IN 50 STATES and decide to vote for the candidate they really like. But many will still feel that the Republican Party is their natural home.

Regardless of how much McCain ignores them, the right-wing bloggers and hate radio jocks will continue to trash Obama and energize their listeners in the sure [and certain?] hope that they can then convince McCain that he owes his presidency to them.

Anyhow, that's where I see it. Poll your friends in late October and see how many have changed their tune.

Speaking of conservative, my McCain margin of victory may be conservative. This may be a 1984 Reagan-style landslide.

12. pettyfog

"Hate.." ?

I suppose derision on exposure of elitist and situational ethic attitudes COULD be labeled 'hate'.

Like in "Ooohhhh, I hate it when they find that crap"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

speaking of situational ethics, how can you equate screwing up a joke about the "quality" of Bush's Ivy League education with kicking over the corpse of Obama's mother?

Elitist? You mean unlike the poor downtrodden background of the Bushes and the hand-to-mouth existence of the Oil Company billionaires? It calls to mind the attempt of The Great God Reagan to kill the teacher's union by calling them "educational elitists." I remember him doing that in a speech he made to a $1000 a plate breakfast audience. No schoolteachers there, you betcha.

And on to the pictures:

Do you honestly believe that Kerry hates the troops in Iraq?
    Do you honestly believe that Obama hates people who live in small towns?
    Do you honestly believe that anyone other than the mindless deluded who buy all the crap that Rush and Hannity and O'Reilly make up out of whole cloth?
    Really?

And what do you base that belief on? Or are you just trying to justify the lies and filth spewed into public discourse by the right wing jocks and bloggers by going, "But Mommie, he looked at me funny."

I'm so pleased that Senator McCain slapped that Cincinnati asshole down IN PUBLIC and IN OHIO.

14. pettyfog

Do you have a short memory..... Kerry exhorted a bunch of kids {in California, natch} to keep up their studies and get through college or they {paraphrased} might have no better option than getting stuck in Iraq.

As in Obama's case, the derision/hate was not so much the truth in what he said... but the way in which he said it.
    And the effect on those derided in the example.

But you REALLY dont NOT get that, do you?

But among the crowds a little child suddenly gasped out, "But he hasn't got anything on."

- The Emperors New Clothes

I suppose I hate Emperors, too

15. pettyfog

Lighten UP...
    Scrappleface - Equal Opportunity Derision:

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Of course I remember. He was trying to make a joke -- as I said -- about the quality of the president's Yale education. He stumbled in the proces -- he can't tell jokes; I guess that makes him worse than BEING A JOKE.

Everyone who heard the joke realized two things:

a. that what he ALMOST said was: study hard in college and get good grades or you're likely to do something stupid like get the country stuck in Iraq.
    b. that the right wing was going to jump all over the stumble.

For a little context, any of you who are still reading this, this came just a few weeks after the President spoke to a group of college students and bragged about how he was a C student and he could still run the country.

So, back to my questions -- do you believe that this screwed up joke means that Kerry hates the troops? And do you believe that Obama really hates small town people, or are you just trying to contribute to the poisoning of his well?