Why Everton is my Second Favorite Club

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 4, 2014.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/485016028133732352

[​IMG]

I found this by surfing for fan reaction to Tim's feat. I actually have a logon for a couple Toffee forums but it's been so long I didn't bother. Suffice to say there was a lot of discussion on there about all the same things we discuss re the prospects of the US team going forward.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I used to despise Everton. Why? Because in the days when both teams shared gate receipts for league matches, Everton's owner hated to give up a percentage of his home gate [around 40,000] to Luton in exchange for his cut of about 18,000 at Kenilworth Road. He filed suit with the Football League about Luton's using a plastic pitch, about them banning away fans for cup matches, and even went so far as forfeiting a League Cup tie. He also pressed hard for a minimum ground capacity of 25,000 for First Division [old money] clubs. Eventually, Luton were relegated and the top flight went to 100% of the receipts going to the home club and he stopped crying. That sustained effort to get Luton Town barred from the top flight really made me have a hate on for Everton.

Now, however, I admire them. They're also "under the shadow" of a top 4 club, but they marshal their resources well, turn out interesting sides to waty, and play good football. Their connection with McBride, Joe Max-Moore, Preki, Landon, and Timmy didn't hurt, neither did the quality and decency of their last two managers.

Next season I'll be watching them, Stoke City, Sunderland, and whoever other PL teams have Americans on their squad ... and Liverpool of course.