Why Big Soccer British so Bitter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Txgrl, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Txgrl

Txgrl New Member

I don't know if any of you guys have experienced this...but if a Yank dares to post a message on BS, to discuss Fulham, Premier League or any other team...your totally slammed.

Why are they so closed to fans from abroad? Bitter ya think? :?:

Disclaimer: this is not to say that all Brit's are the same.....etc.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Every message board is different. Some are run and controlled by a certain faction of people that think they have all the answers and are close-minded to others. Perhaps that is what is happening with BigSoccer. Unfortunately, that kind of attitude makes people leave the board rather than post on it.

I have not posted on Big Soccer's Fulham board in quite some time. I never had problems in the past, but then again that was two years ago.

3. Txgrl

Txgrl New Member

Yep....the Fulham forum is cool... it's just the EPL general forum or the rivalries forum. Thanks for being here!

4. KentuckyBlue

KentuckyBlue New Member

The precise reason I stopped going to FulhamFC.com. Half the time there are pissing contests between yanks and brits, and most think that we're gone as soon as the trio of Americans are gone...

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Unfortunately, the official site has a bit of that going on these days also.

Not that that in itself is upsetting, but after awhile it becomes tedious.

6. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

At the risk of sounding a bit of a twat....

Yanks don't always get the greatest press in the UK. Many Brits can't get pass the cultural differences between sports, especially the need in the US to have sports and games with big numbers and the total reluctance to have a draw [this is not a statement of fact but a steriotypical view].

This leads to the belief that all Americans can only cope with sport if it is divided into quaters, have a clear winner, have plenty of stats (after all - how can you tell if a stiker is any good unless he has a .453 average) and is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Fortunatly, anyone who has ever posted here from the UK has seen a very objective and measured view of the issues facing Fulham in particular and EPL in general, so, if other boards are closed minded, then **** 'em. They will also be the kind of people who cannot listen to any view that does not explcitly agree with their own.

I am English, I have read various boards and never posted to any until I found FUSA, it was a conversation between 2 dear muppets that convinced me that this was the place to be, 7 months on and I don't regret it one bit. This board is an open community, not a clique - and that is what differentiates it from the others I have seen.

GBFC.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Here, Here! God Save FUSA!

I don't think the Offal is, well, awful, but for some reason it recently has become hard to read. Perhaps it is because there is not as much left to play for and now this long lapse in matches.

I'm sure once the transfer rumour mill starts ratcheting up again, I'll be back on there and at TFI putting in my two cents. But no doubt it about, this is the coziest little corner of the internet for Fulham fans, but I'm biased.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heh... not just Brit fans on BS, and it goes both ways.

Check this out!

The idjit asked for a digest on the team, players and season prospects... and on each club forum.

I lurv it when I get to vent a little spleen.... like the old matchnight {sniff} days.

Cant do it here, would chase away GBFC and PCB...but I got no cares, there!

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Brutal.

But I could hear his shrill, winey complaints bouncing off the inside of my head while I was reading it.

I'm still considering the actual substance, if there was any, of all the back and forth.

10. pettyfog

Absolutely NONE! In the best traditions of all Crew Boards!

we aint so much differnt than the fulhamFc after all.. see below.

11. Txgrl

Txgrl New Member

Ahhhh, not all British

I love the British....I mean I my heritage is British, well, Welsh, and British...so...no harm meant, but I do think that the thought that Americans don't appreciate a game like soccer/football is wrong. I mean, wouldn't ya think that most folks on the Big Soccer site and posting here that have stuck w/the sport for YEARS might appreciate it?

Anyway, just wishing we could all just get along... :rock: ON!

12. pettyfog

RE: Ahhhh, not all British

well, darlin.. you're a texas gal.

I'm not being a twit, here. So is my sis. and she'll just pick up and move on when some give her grief or she'll pick THEM up and move 'em on... get some of that great Texan-written contemporary lit on and about Texas Wimmin.
    Think:
    s'all over the place. Best wimmin after suthren, is Texan. Right Don?

- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -
    And O Wilde oughta know... I have a great O Wilde anecdote but I dont know you all that well.

13. BC

BC New Member

In some respects, I can see why some British are irritated with us Yanks. They know that a majority of the US doesn't give two shits about football (soccer). Yet, they also know that some of the EPL fans in the US (the ones that don't really love the sport) are just there because Chelsea is considered trendy now or because some Yanks are on EPL teams. And finally, American businessmen are buying their teams, especially the big clubs with lots of tradition.

Now I'm not saying I agree with that view or that all Brits are feeling that way. But I can see where some of the bitterness comes from. It's an adjustment to have Yanks care about their teams. But I think the admirable performances of our boys in the EPL will help this transition. We probably will never ALL get along but I think mutual respect will develop over time.

GBFC, the cultural difference between British sports and American sports has always fascinated me. Like you said, in America, we like results, not draws, and millions of stats. So it took some adjustment for me when I started following English soccer because a game could end in a tie and there weren't tons of stats to help me understand who the better players were. Plus, the relegation/promotion idea took some getting used to. But now I like all those things. I understand the benefits of playing for a draw as well as how you can't always tell the great footballers by statistics; you really have to watch them to appreciate who is great. I can also appreciate the anxiety you get when facing possible relegation and the excitement of staying up.

So thanks for the kind words about FUSA. It certainly is the best forum I've ever joined.

14. MightyMouse

MightyMouse New Member

Guess they feel invaded?

15. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

While I don't post at BigSoccer (just lurk), I don't know if it's so much of a Britain thing as it is a jerk-on-the-Internet thing.

There's a lot of them, regardless of country of origin.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Geography R Us

and 'fog, who's knowledge of UK geography is a joke, show's his US geography ignorance by not realizing that Texas is in the South. Sigh. We try so to educate, but ... alas ...

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Geography R Us

Well, there is South, and then there is The South.

Growing up in The South, Texas was considered Out West. The only Cowboys in Georgia were the ones playing pee-wee football on the weekends, wearing Big-D, NFL style uniforms (unlike the MLS, who doesn't allow that type of stuff).

18. terry1lj

terry1lj New Member

I wish there was relegation in the NFL, that way my Lions would get the point that youre supposed to actually play games not just show up.

19. Leedarby610

Leedarby610 New Member

I post on Big Soccer frequently and I've had the most heated discussions w/ fellow Americans. I've never had any trouble w/ the Brits on any part of the board. The main point of contention or issue has been Dave O'Brien doing the commentating on US national team games and other World Cup games. IMO, he's horrendous. He's a baseball guy and that's his forte. It's just that ABC/ESPN has tried to groom him as bridge between American fans and the hardcore faithful. An experiment that's way out in left field, no pun intended. I've suggested that ESPN/ABC find some talent that specializes in doing soccer. Inevitably, it usually comes down to Tommy Smyth, the wacky Irishman that does a decent job and is used sparingly. So, whenever I bash Dave O' Brien I get flamed from Americans that think he's actually doing a decent job and get called a Euro lover, Anglophile, etc. So, like Optimizer, there's jerks aplenty wherever you look.