Who remembers Piedmont Airlines?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 14, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, there was a little regional from out of the Carolina's named Piedmont Airlines.. they were noted for their customer service and strict attention to being on time.

At the same moment in time another regional named Allegheny .. which was not so affectionately nicknamed 'Agony" Airlines.

So.. the Sharpie who ran Allegheny figured he could BUY a reputation and get away with it.. just by SAYING he was going to incorporate Piedmont's Customer service.

Yeah, right... that lasted all of about 2 years, till the MBA's got the upper hand again.

Result: USAir

Well, they have indirectly figured into this weeksAirline Outrage in which the deranged suicidal woman died in police custody.
    If you can use them... SKYBUS!!!! You get what you pay for, you pay for what you get!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I flew a lot on Piedmont in the early 80s when I worked for [name censored]. They were a fun bunch, and there was a significant drop off in quality when they went to US Air.

However, it's really not fair to single them or Mesa for overbooking. All flights are overbooked and leave late -- the result of airlines cutting back on flights that are less than 80% full on a regular basis. If you travel as much as I do on business, you've figured this out when almost every flight you take is full -- as opposed to several years ago -- and, according to the airlines, ridership is down for all carriers.

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

I've "flown" Mesa Air in the past and they are pitiful at best. Let's put it this way--I have to fly for work soon an the best flight schedule-wise involved Mesa. I'm on another flight.

4. jaxcottager

jaxcottager New Member

I flew with Piedmont from National Airport (Ronald Reagen now) to the Robbie Tournament in Toronto way back when.