Which International Teams Do you Support?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by ChicagoTom, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

So, besides your home country, whatever that is, which countries do you support Internationally and why?

I am from the US so I support them, but I also cheer whole-heartedly for Poland. My girlfriend is from there and I really enjoy watching them play. Living in the Polish neighborhood here in Chicago, the whole community gets behind the team. It is great! When Poland beat the US in WC2002, people were cheering on the streets near Belmont and Central. It was amazing!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Any but Mexico and France..
    But in the cup finals i will support Mexico until they meet the US..

Cant say the same for France.

Otherwise Germany because of my interest in seeing how Klinnsman changes them.

And, of course, i'm interested in England and seeing if Sven can find a new way to come up short.
    - - - - - - -- - - --
    I'm adding to this post instead of a new one because it's embarrasing to always be listed as the "last poster".. rest of you, take some time out from the chat-room and get on here!

Tom: The reason France, in general, raises such disdain among so many is that, no matter your politics, you recognize a hypocritical, self serving chump when you see one!

On Holland;
    No, I dont think Holland is odd for it's high standing v low population.. they have been so for decades... the land of Soccer innovation for a while.

But that brings us back to England.. which SHOULD be a perennial power and is not.
    It's my opinion that the FA admire the French way of doing things.
    SGE is incompetent and I cant see why the press, anyway, doesnt howl for him to get the boot!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am with you Petty on the Mexico thing. I am also not much of a fan of France and Argentina. I am not exactly sure why, I just dno not care for those teams.

4. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Rep of Ireland...the constant over-achievers of International football.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Which International Teams Do you Support?

I support Ireland as well! They have not lost an international match whether it be World Cup Qualifiers or friendlies in 15 tries. That is outstanding.

6. tac

tac New Member

RE: Re: RE: Which International Teams Do you Support?

personally, i enjoy watching holland
    it is just so wierd that in such a small country, so many great players could be there(davids in particular)

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Which International Teams Do you Support?

Italy
    Rep. of Ireland
    Germany

8. cottager32

cottager32 New Member

I'd support Canada if there was a reason to. Otherwise, England first and second (I hate to admit it) Argentina. I started liking them in the 1994 World Cup 'cause I liked Batistuta. Root against France and Brazil.

9. captdf

captdf New Member

1) Any Mexican opponent: The reason should be self-evident

2) Guam: They don't have a competitive team, but if they did I would support them. That's where my parents are from.

3) England: How can you not like the country that invented the sport. Others may not like the style of the English game, but it suits me just fine. And I'm like 1/64 English. The fact that they speak English helps too.

4) Austria: I have a friend who lives in Vienna and the country is lots of fun. Never met an Austrian that I didn't like.

5) Canada: Our neighbours to the north. Despite their funny accents they did bring us hockey and I did enjoy my one trip to Toronto/Niagara.

6) Italy: Spent a month there and got to see Fiorentina win the Coppa Italia (ok, so it's not the FA Cup Final, but it was still fun). I loved my time there and Italy would be higher, but I don't like their tactics.

10. madrat

madrat New Member

big usa national team supporter- but i also like england , ireland & germany...

loved watching england & germany in the world cup years ago... then when got to visit both countries - pulled for them even more...

ireland- the wife demands it... but they have a consistently good team & the people are great so it's a fun team to support also...

have nothing against the mexican people- but when the usa national team gets batteries/urine & sh*t thrown at them by the mexican fans gathered at the los angeles col. --- can't be anything but happy when they lose... kinda gets us my nose- come to america- illegally... feed your family with $$ earned in a new land- then lob a bag of piss on the national team of the country you live....

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well my squad, Poland, just destroeyed Azerbeijan this afternoon, 8-0 in Group 6 World Cup Qualifiers. What a scoreline. It was 3-0 at halftime and they just continued to pour it on in the second half. We could be gearing up for a October 12th match at England to decide the group winner!! Polska Gola!!!!!

12. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

[ kinda gets us my nose- come to america- illegally... feed your family with $$ earned in a new land- then lob a bag of piss on the national team of the country you live....[/quote]

US-Mexico is a great rivalry and is terrific for the sport in the US. It's a shame to taint it with racist stuff like this - what survey did you do to find out that all Mexico soccer supporters here in the States are illegals? Do the few jerks who throw things represent all Mexican fans? You mentioned England and Germany as two of your favorite teams - their fans have always represented the best in sportsmanship right?