WHERE'S THE LOVE!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 22, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No one on here have a comment on Hunter S "Gonzo" Thompson offing hisself?
    [​IMG]
    Surely I'm not the only literate person here... or doesnt anyone's collection of Rolling Stones go back that far?

I read his first, "Hell's Angels" non-stop... but gave up in disgust halfway thru "Fear and Loathing".

Almost NEVER agreed with his views... he was, after all, the ultimate social anarchist. Anybody that would advocate all the crap he exposited, or even take it seriously, would be an idiot.... he thrived on chaos and that's what he wrote best.

But I never stopped enjoying HOW he wrote!

He11, he's probably lighting up a giant dooby on that huge glowing brimstone pit at this very moment.

As I wrote this I suddenly realized that Hunter Thompson was the guy who encouraged me to consider ANY opinion I might have to be just as good as his - and not to worry about speaking out about it!

{ i'd already been beat up more than a few times and lived, not to mention staring down my nose into the barrel of a 38.... twice!}

So I felt a sort of affinity

Anyway, he's the guy that you can thank for my irritating the he11 out of you!

2. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

RE: WHERE

umm.... are you afraid to write out the word HELL becuz of your extreme right wing lifestyle??

3. pettyfog

Re: RE: WHERE

I dont have a problem with it... I post several places; and have got used to skating around the checkers.
    Do you have a comment on Thompson.. what did you like about his writing?

4. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

RE: Re: RE: WHERE

What happened that you only made it through half of Fear and Loathing? That was an entertaining book. I also read the Great Shark Hunt.

Not familiar with Hell's Angels. Would you receommend it Pettyfog?

5. pettyfog

Yeah.. it was his first effort. And more straight up, less gonzo, writing.

Plus he was TRULY in constant peril of getting his ass kicked or offed at any time... and that finally happened, of course... but not because of factors he introduced himself.

Have to say that my favorite book of all time is 'Catch-22'... Heller's subsequent work disappointed me, too.

There's a corollary... Heller started to believe he was a "messenger'. Catch-22 is described as 'anti-war' and Heller really started to believe he meant it that way.

It isnt.. it is just a farcical 'human-tragicomedy' set in war scenario. It could have been written the same staged in any enterprise.

Thompson, like any other class-clown, figured out that he could get more attention by being more 'out there'.

That's okay, we all love our class clowns... you always laugh at or with them but get pissed off when they try to use the vehicle to 'instruct' rather than entertain.

And Thompson's periodical pieces were great.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I just got Catch 22 the other day. I have been meaning to sit down and start reading it. I have heard great things about it.

7. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

You are going to love Catch 22 ChicagoTom, it is truly a great book.

Has anyone read John Knowles "A Separate Peace", not quite in Catch 22's loft status, but another great book nonetheless.