When McBride comes back to states, it's to Chicago

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jan 15, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No I dont have any inside knowledge, other than I've thought that for years... but I have some new circumstantial evidence.

Chicago traded Columbus a 'player to be named later' for the 2nd pick in the draft and Crew forward Ryan Coiner.

When that was announced, I thought - A PLAYER{?!}- and I thought.. well, maybe Columbus was getting Chicago to forget about trying to get McBride... but that player turned out to be Andy Herron.... Not just A PLAYER but the Fire's 2006 leading scorer and MVP.

Which turns the thinking the other way.... few college players are certain of immediate stardom in MLS. Even Marvel Wynne aint been 'all that'.
    Coiner, an early pick in last year's draft, has been a good prospect but never showed he will advance beyond being a sub.

So, I believe that Columbus has given up claiming rights to McBride, should he come back to MLS.. which he is likely to do for one season.

I dont think the Crew ever spent the McBride Allocation and I wouldnt be surprised if it's now in the safe at Bridgeview.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: When McBride comes back to states, it

I think you're spot on here, 'fog. Chicago is home for him and for the missus. It seems the logical stop.

I wonder what the guy will do after he hangs them up. He doesn't seem the color commentator type and, from what you've said, he's not keen on management.

3. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

perhaps he should join the Galaxy and show Beckham how to be a professional :3d tongue:

(bank it like beckham)

4. pettyfog

Well, now I'm confused... according to reports, the Crew GM was on the radio this morning and said they are still actively pursuing Brian... oh well.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Your anaylsis sounds spot on to me despite the GM coments.

6. pettyfog

Well, I'm *SURE* he wouldnt throw it out there just to boost lagging season ticket renewals...

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Does anyone remember Chris Herron, the legendary Fall River, Massachusetts hoops player that battled a drinking problem and such at Boston College and then transferred to Fresno St. to play with Jerry Tarkanian? Great story behind him...I wonder what he is up to these days.

Anyways, the player Pettyfog is referring to is Andy Herron not Chris. This post just got me thinking about Chris Herron though, the hoopster.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

heck yes i remember him. if my memory serves me correct he went on and played for the Celtics in the NBA...well....was on the team...didn't play. I remember Herron in his days at Fresno State with that hairdo he had. I also remember him being in Sports Illustrated in an article about all these highly rated prep players who were going to D1....Felipe Lopez was on the cover of that issue and he ended up going to St. Johns and also playing in the league. Seems like yesterday Tommy!!! :wink:

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: When McBride comes back to states, it

I am pleased to read someone else remembers Herron. He was on the Celtics, Hawks and Nuggets on a few 10-day contracts, but he was never able to hang around for long. I would assume he is playing ball in Europe these days but I can't seem to find any articles or links via Google.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Re: When McBride comes back to states, it

If Brian leave Fulham after this season to go back to the MLS, I will be very dissapointed. He still has it in him and he would be short changing his career, they love him at Fulham and could really show some of the youngsters whats its like to be a pro.

A role model for the team and a model professional in every sense of the word. Come on Brian, sign for FFC.

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: Re: When McBride comes back to states, it

I would be dissapointed as a Fulham fan. But I would understand, and wish him luck in the MLS, if he left for family reasons. It's tough living abroad with a family...as a former military brat, I know it all too well. It would not surprise me at all if he left.

12. Royalmail

Royalmail New Member

The Fire will finally get some firepower up front since they dont have Nate Jaqua anymore and they dealt Herron during the draft.It's a great move for the Fire even though I would love it if he stayed with FFC.No matter where he goes ( or stays ) he plays for one of my favorite teams.