What's wrong with the Music Industry?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 24, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Nothing, it's going fine.
    It's just that... errr..

Well, not really. They know what they are getting paid for. Right now. Still. For the moment.
    Till they start drawing unemployment.

The greed of the labels and marketers is coming back to bite them big time... rewind a few years back when the labels were still charging a 2 to 4 dollar premium for CD music over tapes. When IN 1982, it cost only $2.50 per to press one thousand disks.
    THAT is a limited run, folks, and far higher than would relate to a hundred thousand press run. That was in CD's infancy! Only about 5 factories in the whole world.

And recall AOL {their own stupidity} was sending out free CDROM/coasters in the mail.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: What

And this is why Radiohead is just the tip of the iceberg. Musicians want their music to be heard and enjoyed. They know that they're not going to make a lot of money off CD sales anyhow -- if any -- so they don't want to have to soak their fans for no benefit to them. How little do they get? I remember an interview with the J. Geil's Band when they said that they made enough money off their first three hit albums to buy better instruments and revamp their sound system. About 90% of the songs were self-penned so there weren't royalties to eat up the profits, but they owed so much to their management and label for "promotion" that they got less money from the sale of a hundred albums than the guy who owned a record store got from selling one. The numbers may have changed, but probably not all that much.

Worse still is that music producers/labels are in the same mode as folks who make movies -- clone what was popular last year and stay away from originality. There are alternative ways to make the musician-fan connection, and EVERYONE is looking for ways to get there.

Good research, 'fog.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: What

The music industry is going to crap because most of the music out there is garbage. I should rephrase that by saying a majority of the MAINSTREAM music being pushed and promoted by big record labels and distributors is garbage.

We live in a one-hit wonder world of music and there are flavors of the week and while record labels are the ones pushing these artists on us, it is clear that these bands have very little to offer creatively and musically to make something of themselves outside of the popularity of their one hit and record sales from that hit.

There is a lot more to it, but that is a synopsis.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: What

That was the thought I had yesterday when I was looking at a list of the songs being given away at Starbucks in the form of free iTunes downloads. There's plenty of good music out there, but the stuff the big labels are pushing isn't it.

5. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: What

Ummmm... sorry to disillusion you younger guys but much of what the music industry has pushed HAS ALWAYS been Crap!

That goes for Link Wray, to 'Little Anthony and the Imperials', all the way to Mantovani

I think Don will back me up. Remember Bill Haley, Don?

And, sorry, I'm including most of 'Elvis' except his ballads.. but that's just me.

Whatever... the quality of the performance and the artists' talent is beside the point. The point is you are no longer being charged a 'you are a stupid biter' tax.

6. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Don't indie artists make more money off of CD sales than major label artists?

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: What

Don't dis little Anthony or I will have to come over to Colobus Ohio and whoop your ass!

A few years ago a UK band called Marillion released a double album called 'Marbles'. They raised the money to fund the project by public subscription in terms of pre-sales. Each person who bought a copy had their names printed in the accompanying booklett. They continued to sell the album via the internet and directly, and cut the middle men. This only works once you have a loyal fan base.

8. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What

And this is why I refuse to buy albums from stores. That is one thing iTunes got right. People don't like paying $12-$15 for an album that may only have 2 or 3 decent songs out of 18. With that said though, my current PC has over 15,000 songs. That translates to $15,000. I'm not that rich to be able to pay for that kind of stuff, even though music is a religion to me.

but iTunes is slick. I wouldn't mind paying a monthly subscription though and being able to download all I want. That would be cool and work for me.

9. EricD

EricD New Member

10. pettyfog