What's up with SOCCERNET?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Aug 15, 2014.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, ESPN decided to 'GO' with a snazzy new format during the world cup which -- for reasons best known only to the idiots in Bristol -- they've continued.

Am I the only one seriously irritated that we can't click on the league and see all the scores AND all the scorers? Also, why is it so difficult to page through the leagues and seasons? Are drop-down boxes a thing of the past?

Of course, perhaps (a) I'm the only one who is bugged by this change OR (b) I'm the only one who can't figure out how to make the information more ... useful?

Inquiring old farts ... etc.

encorespanish and dcheather like this.
  2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I guess I'm getting old too, Hatter. These new parallax blogs and such look snazzy but it does make information harder to find. I noticed it with ussoccer too. I can't find the detailed player stats and information I liked browsing for anymore. Too bloggy and not enough
    Cut and dry info front and center.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Nevermind about the US Soccer site, they seem to have added some of the info back since the last time I visited. But the landing page still takes me some time to adjust.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Too many sites care more about what they look like on tablets/mobile these days.

astroevan likes this.
  5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

yeah, but there is now a bigger demand for websites to be mobile compatible as browsing on phones and tablets is becoming the default method for surfing.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/28/technology/mobile/mobile-apps-internet/

[​IMG]

I think where the problem mostly lies is getting web surfers used to not seeing everything in menus that are already expanded across the screen and having to use menus that are more horizontal and then navigated vertically--plus they have click the menus now to operate.

I can find everything Don was trying to find in the dropdown menus now on Soccernet, it's just different from how we've been conditioned to finding the information in the past. But websites should be good on both, I'm hoping this site does both well. I think there's room for improvement, but I am a bit limited in what I can do since this more strictly forum software and not CMS software.

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the changes on ESPN, soccer or otherwise, but the soccer portion is definitely the worst. I don't see where it's any better on the mobile device. Then again, I'm probably entering old fart territory myself so what do I know.

7. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

My issue is there are too many photos. I would think the mobile community would benefit with less photos but I don't work in the web world. I like seeing a list of headlines, not trying to find all the headlines sandwiched between images.