What the hell is going on in France?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ChicagoTom, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Could someone please explain to me what the hell is going on in France with all the rioting and such? From what I can gather, the low-income earners in the suburbs of France are pissed about something. Does anyone care to explain this? If so, it would be appreciated.

2. colm

colm New Member

3. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

apparently the police were chasing two guys, the two guys hid and were electrocuted.

this started a riot for some reason, cause its the police's fault.

Its also spread to Belgium and parts of Germany.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No... the two guys were already in the substation.. and it's not clear whether they even knew there was a police chase, though it was in the same area.

That version, however was the initial report.

I'm not gonna jump to the conclusion that it's really anything to do with 'muslim' tho it could degenerate into that, but right now it's primarily hooligan reaction type stuff

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Petty...we are past the hooligan reaction stuff now...someone has died in the riots and it's going on day 12. The two teens being electrocuted is what started the riots but it's not the primary reason for the ongoing riots. France is not a very arab friendly country, despite its claims that it is. My friend studied at an university there, who has an "arab" name, and she was not treated as well as the other students by some professors. Also, she told me that shops and businesses would have signs in their windows that said,"no arab need apply," in french (which is not good for many reasons).
    France began its arab (north african) friendly immigration policy in the 60s (other European countries used this policy as well, which is why there is some spreading to other countries), I believe, so they would take the low paying jobs and help subsidize all their social benefit programs at the same time. However, France today has a very high unemployment rate, can't pay for its social programs, and is running a very centralized government system--not good for unemployed youths. Especially for youths who feel they have no chance of a "fair shot" for employment or education.
    Also, the Interior Minister, Nicolas Sarkozy, calling the rioters rabble and yobs was twisted and made to look like he was calling everyone living in those areas such names, and added more anger to the riots.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heather your points are right on... but the death doesnt change the makeup of the 'rioting mob'.

I'd bet 98% of all the 'rioters' are doing it for kicks and relieve vague frustrations.. helll that was even true in Watts in the sixties and the Rodney King aftermath.

But, like I say, it wont take much for a "head of the dragon" to emerge..

How long till someone gets the idea that Bush to blame
    {note this is one of the few KOS articles I've seen where the bulk of the commenters display some common sense}

By the way... a little known British-based blogger (who writes very well) actually called this a few months ago... saying it was time for another "French Revolution".. as they seem to come in cycles. His current posting: "R?volution des automobiles br?l?es" reminds us of this. Follow the link to his original piece.
    Seems that the French ruling class cant shed the "Let them eat cake" attitude.