What kind of car do you drive?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dave2d2, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

VW Jetta. Probably moving up to a Passat soon.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Whether new or used, take advantage of the net..do your research and know what to expect, from any car you're looking to buy.
    And dont just follow one owners' group.. follow several. More established newsgroups usually have dependable advice.

Why am I about to start on my THIRD mid-nineties TBird? Because almost every one (3.8 L), esp the 93, suffered from blown headgaskets and transmission failure. Regular as clockwork and between 60 and 120 kmiles.

If you bought one new and traded before 60k you prolly liked 'em. If you buy one with over 140k you prolly love em. If you bought one with only 50 k on it... you find out it's the 'worst car ever made'.

I was lucky... I found out AFTER I bought the first one, fairly cheap. After lurking a while.. made sure I followed the pattern.

Which means that they are STILL cheap as dirt as older used cars and one of the biggest bargains around for a guy who does his own maintenance and likes a good solid dependable road car.

Oh, well... you dont keep 'em long, anyway. There's a REASON, but I dont have time to explain it.

3. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

3.8 liter Ford Essex V6 engine (Canadian)

I bought the van second hand from a dealership that had no service records. I have put 9000 miles on the van with no engine issues. Had the transmission fluid changed (not flushed!) at 50,000 miles and regular oil changes every 3,500 miles. I like the van a lot (never thought I would).