What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I read his bio when I was a kid. Does this one cover his life since baseball? I would be interested if it does. I believe he quit the Dodgers, as I did, when Rupert Murdoch bought them. Murdoch is a double-edged sword for me.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The bio you read was dross. There is quite a bit of his post-baseball life in this one, although he's still pretty private. There's a lot of good stuff about his pre-baseball life also.

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

David Eddings' Belgariad.

4. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

I just finished The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and I am currently reading The Mauriitius Command by Patrick O' Brian.

5. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I'm currently half way through The Great Gatsby. So far a far more intriguing book than I thought it would be.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I know several people who would tell you that it is the BEST American novel ever written. I might not go that far, but it is a brilliant book.

When you've finished that, I suggest you check out his short fiction. A few years ago, a single book combining his two best collection of short stories came out. Wonderful stuff in there.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I liked reading the Great Gatsby, glad it was required reading for highschool. Much better than some of the crap they make you read in college. Like THe Awakening...really disliked reading that book.

Right now, I am reading the Baby whisperer solves all your problems. Pretty helpful tips on getting babies on a pretty good routine. But the writer makes it seem way too easy!

8. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Routine? Sounds like Dr. Spock.

I am thinking that the next book I read is going to be classic sci-fi because I have not read that genre since college. Any suggestions?

9. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

How classic do you want, Jensers? One of my current faves, who's been writing since the late 70s or early 80s, is CJ Cherryh.

The Hugo-award winning "Downbelow Station" is great, and sets up a whole slew of novels which are connected by not necessarily a series.

You could also check out "Foreigner," the first book in a series that's on it's 10th novel right now. Great stuff.

10. RDG

RDG Member

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
    Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Palms.

12. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Heh, nevzter.

13. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics by Jonathan Wilson

Pretty informative with tons of history, but a little dry at times.

On deck: Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game by David Wangerin

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favs, RDG. Even though I am not big on sci fi, I always had time for Raymond Bradbury...especially his short stories.