West Brom @ Fulham

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Sep 10, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, our long tedious international break will be over by midweek and we can stop being apprehensive about WC qualifying and go back to being apprehensive about Fulham's performance in the league. A very in-form WBA is coming to town on Saturday.

After three matches broadcast live, we're going to have to live with tape delay, so I'll be digging GJ for the first time this season, and yakking in the Chatroom. There will also be no View From South Texas for this one, since I'll be at a pre-wedding doo when it's televised at 1530 Central. So, can someone else do the honors?

Predictions? I don't know about y'all, but I'm waiting to see if there's any injury problems associated with international callups. Ruiz was not used in Costa Rica's critical home match v. Mexico, so I think he's still not fit and probably won't be on Saturday.

Well? Let's talk it up, yall

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Fulham International call-ups for this week are Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Riise, Kelly, Ruiz, Diarra, and Etheridge. Let's hope they all come back healthy.

So has Berbatov retired from International play?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes a couple of years ago. Bulgaria got goals from two debut strikers in their defeat of Italy, so I don't expect there'll be a huge groundswell to get him back.

4. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I don't see Demps.... errr never mind. Too soon?

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Had to double take that as well. Deep wounds for sure.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Without a doubt Bryan not be able to go for the Ticos is a cause for concern for Sat. Which begs the question, why in the hell did he get on a plane in the first place?? :think:

Hopefully MJ made the most of the break on the training ground, because the squad needs to regroup and move forward. As HD stated, the Baggies have a settled side and have hit the ground running by beating both the Merseyside teams (Pool, Everton) at home and drawing w/Spuds. The squad needs the veteran leaders to step up, and get some service into Berba. If they do that the ball will find the back of the net. 2-1 to the good guys.

7. emiusaberbo

emiusaberbo Member

As far as Berbatov in national team, he retired back in 2010. He has been keeping his form in Bulgaria clubs.
    What time is the game.
    I may find a link to watch it live, but not on American tv.

8. emiusaberbo

emiusaberbo Member

It was not a defeat but a draw. One of the players who scored for Bulgaria is Stanislav Manolev who is a midfielder. As far as my information he wants to leave his current club PSV Eindhoven.

9. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I hope to make the chatroom after going to see North Mississippi Allstars Friday night, but not feeling so good about my chances. Also kinda feeling the same about FFC right now. I'm gonna say we can pull out a draw.

10. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I should catch this match live and be in the chat room so I will try and provide some post match commentary in lieu of Hatter's most excellent "View". I am sure the scenery will not be as picturesque but I'll do what I can.

As far as the match goes I feel like I am driving blind. I am not sure I can offer you a real good guess at what Fulham's line-up is going to be at the moment much less give any kind of real insight into WBA. Like several others have mentioned I am concerned Ruiz will not be available for this weekend's match. For a working premise I am going to assume that Ruiz will not be available, Dejagah is still injured and everyone else comes back from the break healthy. If those are the circumstances Jol has to work with then I am guessing he will try and get as much fire power and creativity in up front as possible and settle for a sound midfield by dropping into a 4-4-2. I know that would be against Jol's nature but I believe Ruiz is the key man in the 4-2-3-1 that Jol prefers and I don't believe his creativity can be duplicated in the current Fulham roster outside of perhaps Berbatov. With that in mind I think we will either see something like this:

Schwarzer

Riether-Hughes-Hangeland-Riise

Duff-Diarra-Sidwell-Richardson

Berbatov-Petric

or this

Schwarzer

Riether-Hughes-Hangeland-Riise

Diarra-Richardson

Duff-Berbatov-Kacaniklic

Petric

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I think Petric will play off of Berba (as I don't expect Glass Joe to be fit either). Otherwise, I like Barry's second lineup.

12. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Agreed. We keep the ball and nothing can go wrong! :p.

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Saw the Costa Rica lineup and Bryan didn't appear on the bench. So happy he flew half way around the world instead of receiving treatment in London. :angry-banghead:

14. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Barry, I think your 2nd formation is likely what we'll see. The only potential changes I anticipate as an option to what you put up is Sidwell for Richardson and then Richardson for Kaca. The thing to keep in mind is we play a fairly fluid 4-5-1 so it will vary from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-1-1 to 4-2-2-2 to 4-5-1 and so on as circumstances in the match dictate. We do seem to play more rigid w/o a creative player (Ruiz, Dempsey) in the attack mid slots though and our offense stagnates when that happens. However, with Berbatov in the 10 spot, we'll have that creativity and be more fluid.

Prediction? I think the int'l break helps us b/c WBA were in great form. The break, and our lack of internationals, might have allowed us to iron out some of the wrinkles and further acclimate players to one another. W/o the break, I'd have said we lose 2-1. With it, I'll go with 2-2. Berbatov and Petric with the Fulham goals.

COYW!

15. sullytex

sullytex Member

I am going to be at the game on Saturday. A combination of luck and targeting a (very useful) training class the same week as Fulham are at home worked out for me. Looks like we are going to have splendid weather (ok now it will be chucking down). Not sure which Fulham side will show up but I think West Brom will bring their A game.

If anyone else is going, I will probably be at the Lion for a couple of pregame pops and I will likely be the only guy with a cigar hanging out of my grill. Come by, say hello.

Prediction is a 1 all draw.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just saw this on Friends of Fulham:

I don't believe that the Golden Lion has been in favor all that much. The owners are Chelsea and are -- apparently -- intolerant of large groups of Fulham. The most popular post-match venue seems to be The Bricklayers Arms. The prematch venue of choice keeps changing its name -- used to be Rockwell's -- and I don't know what the current name is. I went to the Old Suffolk Punch for my pre-match festivities last September, but I think that it's about half QPR. If you are a member of Friends of Fulham, you might want to ask about pre-match pubs of choice.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

18. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

A few Fulham - West Brom Previews

From Premierleague.com

No Fulham team news posted as of this morning.

From Yahoo.com

From Goal.com - Yeah I know it's goal.com

From the Sportsmole

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, as it turned out, the "fire at Golden Lion" story is just that -- a story. Sorry; I should never believe anything I read on a Fulham site.

20. sullytex

sullytex Member

No prob Hatter. I believe the Leon is owned by some chelskites. However, its easy to go there and, unless things have changed, is full of fulham fans on match day.

I've been to another pub on the way from the Hammersmith and City line that was pretty nice and filled with fulham fans. Think it used to be the crabtree or something like that. Nice deck out on the side of it, close to the walkway to the grounds along the Thames.

Also have an extra ticket that I would give away for the price of a pint of Guinness.