Weird HS nicknames

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Sep 10, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In case y'all weren't aware, The Official State Religion of Texas is High School football, and services have begun. Down here in my part of the state, Converse Judson -- a so-so high school with a professional football team [they've been known to recruit middle school atheletes from Florida] -- suffered a crushing upset to Kerrville Tivy 40-21. This was as earthshaking down here as was Michigan v. Appalachian State.

Here's the thing though. Tivy's nickname is "The Fighting Antlers." While I'm not quite sure how antlers fight without a ruminant attached, it is fun calling people on the phone and asking "did you hear that the Fighting Antlers beat the Rockets?"

So, any weird HS sports nicknames in your neck of the woods?

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I had the Beavercreek Beavers. Once I got to the age of perversion, I could never stop giggling every time I heard that.

But we also have the Centerville Elks, who are always nationally ranked in soccer.

And it isn't so much a weird name, but it goes against most mascot logic. The Northwestern Jets. And yes, they do have a picture of an F-15 on their stuff.

3. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

My high school football team were "The Peglegs." Not exactly inspiring fear.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Here in Illinois a few that come to mind are:

Freeport Pretzels

Another one in a smaller town in central Illinois used to be the Pekin Chinks. They have since changed it to the Pekin Dragons for obvious reasons.

5. dstriker

dstriker New Member

Ahhh. the Pretzels..played them many times.
    Also the Rochelle Hubs..another well known Illinois name.

6. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

A few of my favs:

The Yuma Criminals--Yuma, AZ...okay sometimes we think all kids are criminals but this is ridiculous

The Ozark Hillbillies--Ozark, AR Its arkansas...i am sure they really are hillbillies

The Lincoln Zebras--Lincoln, CA....there are no zebras rooming wild in CA right???

The Yuba City Honkers--Yuba, CA......huh???

The Rocky Ford Meloneers--Rocky Ford, CO.....what is a meloneer???

The Danbury Hatters--Danbury, CT.....I know Don will love this one

The Cobden Appleknockers--Cobden, IL.....oookay

The Mt. Clements Battling Bathers--Mt. Clements, MI.....another HUH??

The Maryville Spoofhounds--Maryville, MO.....gotta love my home state

The Sleepy Hollow Headless Horseman--Tarrytown, NY....perfect name

The Warrensburg Burgers--Warrensburg, NY......uhhh okay

The Tillamook Cheese Makers--Tillamook, OR.....figured this team shoulda been in Wisconsin. hehehe (there is a high school in Wisconsin named the cheesemakers in Monroe, WI)

The Webb School Feet--BellBuckle, TN.....ahhh TN gotta love the home of the movie Deliverance.

The Madeira Snails--Madeira, VA.....must be hard for their track team

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Jordan Beetdiggers here in Sandy Utah...right near where they are building the new RSL Stadium.

another cool one here is the Manti Templars in Manti Utah

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

LOL that's the first thought that came to my mind after reading the nickname for the first time.

This thread reminds me of those commercials featuring the Watersmeet High Nimrods. I'll look for them on Youtube later on.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

My favorite is from Polka, WV -- the Polka Dots. I'll bet their sports teams never hear the end of it.

10. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Mine was the Spartan's.
    But my question is this... I've never understood the fascination for naming a team the "Trojans" (no, I am not going there). But because they were destroyed by a bunch of guys in a wooden horse while they were asleep??
    MK

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

Lakeland, FL, High School is the Dreadnaughts. Maybe it works--they have recently had one of the top football teams in the country.

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

My school was the (Rochester, MI) Adams HS Highlanders, with a Scottish theme. The drum major wore a kilt. The colors were a beautiful (?) brown and gold. (The problem with a newer school; all the good colors were taken.)

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I went to a game at my old HS and the team they played had brown and yellow uniforms -- they looked like McDonald's fry clerks

14. EricD

EricD New Member

Laguna Beach HS were the Artists until 2002 when they changed it to the Breakers.

I went to Diamond Bar HS, and we were the Brahmas. Whenever I think of a Brahma, I think of the thing Mongo rode in Blazing Saddles.