Wearin' their Asses for hats!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 4, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I have nothing against the state of Oklahoma..I've spent a little time there and the people are nice and friendly.

I have nothing against Oklahoma Football, there's proud and good tradition there and i used to gloat inwardly whenever Oklahoma beat Texas.

But, amazingly, what I have is a bias against Big 12 football. Where I used to just hate Texas, I now hate 'em all.. but in this particular year, Texas the least.

Reason? Arrogance. Being an Ohio State fan, I might be wearing Blinders but I dont think any Big 10 school underestimates their Bowl Opponents as much as the Big 12 has the last few years... or maybe it's the Media's fault.

But at least Texas took nothing for granted and prepared.

It was good for me to see Ohio State humble Oklahoma State, and it's just as good to see USC send OU out farting from between their shoulder pads.
    Guess i'm just not a nice person.
    :twisted:

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I have biases myself to particular conferences. The Big 12 is one of them that I hate. I definitely hate Texas above all because of them being overrated every year and the inability to win the big game. Mack Brown is a pud and I was disappointed that the Michigan defense made Vince Young look like Randall Cunningham the other day. Oh well. Like you Pettyfog, I am a Big 10 guy and in the last few years, the Big Ten has represented well in bowl games. They used to get ribbed for their performances in the bowl games, but that has changed. I hope the Big Ten continues to excel and can whip some Big 12 ass next season.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

BIG TEN ALL THE WAY!

4. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

I'm a Michigan alum and bleed the maize and blue. I can't fault their effort but the result still hurt. The Big 10 still has great skill players but isn't getting the defensive talent that you see in the SEC and Big 12. UM's lack of defensive speed and poor tackling were exposed against Texas and OSU (Sorry Pettyfog - OSU probably won't be bowling for a while. Looks like Maurice was telling the truth after all). Big Ten teams need to convince more players from Texas and Florida to come north - maybe they can find some who want a good education.

5. McBride'sHeader

McBride'sHeader New Member

Atta boy BostonDan... Although not aMichigan alum, I am a huge supporter of the Maize and Blue since the Jamie Morris era. (and it goes without saying that I despise the Suckeyes).
    McBride'sHeader

6. pettyfog

Being a little short-sighted, arent we boys?

I wasnt dancing in the streets a few back when a Michigan team had its problems....

Maybe I should start a grass roots campaign to have other Big Ten schools scrutinized the same as OSU will be..

Whattaya think?

Huh...?
    :twisted:

7. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

No dancing over OSU's troubles for me Pettyfog. I'd rather play good OSU teams. It will be no fun beating the probation-weakened team that will be out there the next few years.

After 10 years UM basketball still hasn't recovered from the big scandal. This is pretty much the same thing - boosters running amok under the nose of the coaching staff and AD, who are then "shocked" to find out what happened. Sad that OSU they didn't learn from UM's troubles.

8. madrat

madrat New Member

basking in the glow of a usc national championship... which i missed as couldn't get it on tv while in ireland(sh*t.....)

if we can't have a playoff system for college football- why can't we go back to pac 10/big 10 in the rose bowl- & - after the bowls- take the top 4 teams & have a mini-playoff to determine a true national champion??

9. pettyfog

Yeh, but you KNOW they got it... and there is NO doubt who is the best team!
    i think the system worked when OSU beat Miami... and the system worked this year.

No matter what Auburn fans might say, they aint in the same level.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I don't think you can fairly say that. Auburn was undefeated in one of the toughest conferences in the entire country. To penalize them for a weak performance by Oklahoma is an injustice. Yes, USC looked good and manhandled Oklahoma, but what makes everyone so sure they would have done the same to Auburn? The system failed......again. To presume the system got it right because YOU think so, does not mean you have the same opinion as everyone else. It is easy for you to say this when you do not like Auburn.
    Petty, if Ohio St. went undefeated in the Big Ten and did not get to play for a national title, you would be disgusted with the system.
    Until a playoff is brought into Division 1A football postseason is a joke in that sport. It bothers me that school chancellors and presidents are making decisions like this. It is all about money to them, but when they want they pull out the student-athlete card.
    The NCAA is a hypocrtitical organization that makes no sense. They say it is not about money, but they want the BCS because it gives everyone money. They say athletes need to study for finals and can't miss classes, but thast is not a problem when D2 and D3 playoffs.
    Also, the NCAA basketball tournament cuts into class as well. It is all a joke and no one will convince me otherwise.

11. pettyfog

Each and everything you say is true, on the face of it.

But if Auburn were to make a case for the "Peoples' Choice" version of the national title they would have had to beat Va Tech into the dirt, stomped on them, "ripped out their throats and shoved it down their throats' (famous quote from Jon Busch, Crew GK).

They didnt, so - no case!

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

True, but the bottom line is that they were undefeated. I am not saying USC was not more impressive that Auburn in their respective bowl games, but I just think it is unfair that Auburn did not even get a chance because of a faulty system made up by money hungry universite presidents and chancellors. USC probably would have won, but in all honesty, that is not the point. The point is that they did not get a chance that they deserved. I just hope that does not happen to Michigan any time soon or I will be up in arms Foo Fighers style.

13. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

Nice Foo Fighters reference Chicago Tom!

I wonder if USC OU and Auburn will be top teams next season.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

USC will definitely be up there, but I do not think Auburn or Oklahoma will be in the top 5 or ten next season. Both teams are losing a lot of players to graduation, or maybe not graduation, but because their 4 years of eligibility are up.
    Ohio St, Michigan, Texas and I think Florida will be good next year.

15. cdubbs

cdubbs New Member

I think Oklahoma's defense might not be at the level it has been the last several seasons. AUburn I think might remain pretty good.

16. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps, but they are losing their two running backs and their quarterback. It will be tough for them to remain at the top, but who knows.

17. McBride'sHeader

McBride'sHeader New Member

Next year's Utah will be Bowling Green... you heard it here first!
    McBride'sHeader

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like the call. QB Omar Jacobs was tight this season. I am down with BG for sure! You might say why should you b on the BG Bandwagon. To that I would simply say, Why Not!!! Go Falcons!!!

19. pettyfog

Hmm... Miami the cradle of coaches, MAC the nursery of QB's!!!!!!

tee-hee!