WC: All but US matches

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 12, 2010.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

In case you were wondering, North Korea are shiit. There just is not enough quality, and they punched well above their weight in the first match. They have been so focused on C. Ronaldo, that it seems they forgot about the other 9 field players.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

An awfully conveniently timed cramp. The ref isn't a doctor, he's not qualified to decide when a player is faking an injury (which we all know happens sometimes) as opposed to when a player is really injured (or cramping), nor is it his job to do so. Injuries that are conveniently timed like that, right when the player's team needs a breather (especially very late in a match) are often treated as time wasting. If Italy had taken the lead and then Cannavaro had "cramped" let's not pretend we wouldn't all have been demanding a booking for him.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Chile had all kinds of chances to put the 10 man Swiss away, but didn't do it. Luckily for them in the 90th the Swiss sub somehow blew a chance from 10 yards out (it will take some doing to see a worse miss this WC).

Spain will look to run it up on Honduras today and save my pool.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I certainly hope they do, and plan for it... cause I want Spain and France, at the least, knocked out soon as possible.

Sorry about your pool, but I want the message sent even more than it already has been.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Illustrative:
    Just watched on SC, Sergio Garcia hole it on an amazing chip out of the rough at PB.

His reaction.. you'd expect joy and celebration. Nope. Just swings aimlessly same as if he'd knocked it into the opposite trap.

I cant wait for it on youtube.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I gotta tell you I was impressed by this kid. He's only 18, has the perfect frame for a target man, and plays hard. Numberous times he tracked back to help thwart Italian attacks. How much they want for him? Let's buy him and develop him for the future.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

after acquitting themselves pretty well in losing to Brazil 2-1, North Korea decided to do their first ever live remote broadcast of the match against Portugal.

Odds on this being their last ever? Timing is everything.

7. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I officially pick HONDURAS as the crappiest team in the Tournament this World Cup.

7-0, and the North Koreans still played for and with pride. Meanwhile, almost from the first whistle, the Hondurans looked like they never had any.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

France, easily. 1 point, but no heart, no pride, and no credit. I wish they would go home now.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

This just in -- John Terry is a horse's ass.

I didn't believe this story when I first read it, but I then found it in the Guardian, who I think are a reasonably solid unit.

This is a man who need some dental work with a ball peen hammer.

EDIT -- I believe I owe an apology to horse's asses everywhere.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I believe you do, Steve. At least you can grow things that come out of their hole.

An absolute waste of a human being, he never tires of undercutting England's chances in the WC.

11. pettyfog

At half:

FRA 0-2 RSA ...... FRA 10 man
    URU 1-0 MEX

Plans come together..

12. pettyfog

crosspost:
    Ya know what... next time one of those Euro-snobs says something about how 'backwards' US is in Footy ... I'm just gonna point out ENG and FRA compared to Steve Sampson's 98 debacle.
    Been there, done that....We got over that shit 12 years ago!

And we didnt pay the Manager multi millions to screw it up.

13. sullytex

sullytex Member

Pour it on Uruguay and come on SA, put a couple more in on the French. Two good things c/would happen 1) the French go home, and 2) Mexico goes home.

14. pettyfog

I'm torn on that...

Rather the better sides advance, and MEX is better. OTOH, how good if both Drama queens lose out.

But THEN I do want ENG to advance.. my head hurts

15. sullytex

sullytex Member

Well it looks like Mexico are safe and Bafana Bafana are the 1st home nation to take an early exit. On goal differential.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

****it France, you're ****ing worthless. Against Mexico you roll over and die, but against South Africa you put up a fight with ten men?

(Edited to self-censor language)

17. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Saw a comment over on the Soccer by Ives blog that I thought was worth repeating...

As this game (Mex-Urg) is winding down, and it is clear that Argentina will be playing Mexico in the next round, I'll bet that the Argentina players are on the phone right now to their wives and girlfriends saying, "I'm sorry, honey, but it looks like we're going to be here quite a while yet."

18. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Careful 'Fog. If you think that the US will not implode again at some point in the future then think again - and when you do, I'm sure you will have some overpaid premadonna to thank for it.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

just finished watching an engrossing match between Nigeria and South Korea. Although I'm a fan of the football played by the latter, the former features Dickson Etuhu, so I had no problem being partisan.

There was good football throughout and lots of action in both penalty areas. Park Je-Sung is an amazingly talented player. [It was interesting to me when the announcer pointed out that he was one of five United players in the World Cup -- the same number as that representing Fulham].

The Yak's missing an open goal was one killer of the Eagles, the other being the GK's decsion to hide behind his wall rather than cover that portion of the goal it wasn't covering. Dickson played well overall -- something that I thought he had done in all three matches. It's amazing that he couldn't get any minutes with Nigeria last summer.

South Korea are worthy progressors -- thank god it wasn't the absolutely horrible Greek side -- but now only Johnny P's Ghana has a chance to represent Africa in the knockout rounds.

Speaking of which, props to South Africa for kicking the French in the goolies. What a disgusting example they give to the world of how a national team should act.

Just looking forward to tomorrow now. A good day's football in these old eyes.

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Stu, check out the US Basketball teams in the Olympic and World Championships from 1994-2006. You are absolutely right, it could happen here.