WC: All but US matches

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 12, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

ESP v SUI

ESP 0-1 SUI
    Fan freakin tastic DEEE-FENCE!
    Sorry got carried away and posted score.. then it took forever to get the edit screen.. still, GREAT second half

That's what soccer's all about.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jabulani:
    Something struck me yesterday while watching a match.

Look how the ball flies on a pass v how it flies on a hard shot.
    There's an arc trajectory that's long but still arc.

On a long shot, that ball looks like it just freakin kicks in a small afterburner.. I mean it looks like it's gonna start falling but just keeps climbing over the goal.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: ESP v SUI

An odd concept, Swiss as an international power. Almost as crazy as the United States beiong the same.

BUT, the Swiss have quite a crop of youngsters coming up.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Way too much gets put in to the result of one game. Spain, like everybody else, is beatable on any given night. They dominated the game against SUI, but simply failed to put the game away by scoring some goals.

SUI have some young talent coming up, but I think that's true of all the middling Euro countries every once in a while. It waxes and wanes from place to place, I think. Hopefully Senderos' injury wasn't too bad though. Always liked Gelson Fernandes... definitely a Fulham type of player. A shorter version of Etuhu and not at the world class level of Mascherano. A Swiss Ricardo Clark really (or Cape Verdian RC).

I'm just glad teams aren't getting blown out left and right. I really thought this was going to be one of the weakest World Cups as far as back end type teams like North Korea and New Zealand, but they're performing admirably so far.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Man, I am sick to death of Diego Forlan. Sigh.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

funny, because all the announcers wont shut up about his "failure" at united.

seriously, you'd think they'd know what he did to both liverpool and fulham JUST LAST MONTH

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Forlan is a lovely player, and in top form. Uruguay have played well in their first two games.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

It's too damn bad that I kind of like how he carries himself. I want to be sick of him, yet there is something professional about him. I hoped he had a terrible toothache for breaking my heart, but I'm over it now.

8. pettyfog

I think Don was speaking rhetorically.. Just as when he expresses his delight in North Korea.

I mean let's look at that group: Out of France, Mexico, Uruguay and SA.. just who do you expect to get left behind, again?

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The Nigerian that got the red card is probably walking home as we speak. They should have taken the lead in the second half anyway, but come out 2-1 losers and are on life support.

Argentina looked like they've figure out the ball. South Korea had a golden opportunity to tie it at 2, but missed it and were punished for playing at Argentina's tempo.

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

That was like watching a mere mortal try to race Usain Bolt in the 100. You might be able to stay with him for the first 10-20 yards, but after that, maybe you should have picked a different race and pace altogether.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

**** you France. You're ****ing worthless. Go **** yourselves.

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Karma is a bitch, eh France?

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

one goal from a player clearly offsides; one goal resulting from a fairly good dive ... but strangely, I don't care!

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Me neither. In my mind that's what makes the Mexico victory so sweet...live by the sword, die by the sword.

15. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

What a great story about the Hernandez kid who scored today, and whose grandfather scored for Mexico against France in 1954.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I was tongue in cheek too.

Who did I expect to go through? Mexico and S Africa. One out of two ain't bad.

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

At the 2002 WC this was exactly what I screamed when Senegal scored against them in the first game of the tournament that year... early in the morning.

They're just as bad this tourney as well. They just don't like playing outside of Europe, I think.

18. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Clearly offsides? Enh... it was close. And there was at least some contact on the penalty. Mexico deserved the win, I think. They were all over France.

19. pettyfog

GER v Serb

Damn! This guy is single handedly ruining what had been a well reffed tournament.

The PK tho... what's is a guy THINKING to try to get his hand on that ball..
    THEN Germany misses the PK????

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I missed the first 65 minutes of the Germany-Serbia game. How did Subotic look? I know he had a good stop in injury time, but can anyone give me an assessment of his game overall?