WC: All but US matches

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 12, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No... even the guys on 'The sports reporters, who know less about soccer than we do think that's a bad idea.

Essentially it WOULD end up awarding a goal for a defensive handball.
    THEN what about ball-hand which we've seen happen several times in the box.

I'm not telling you what to think, {DAWG}.....I'm just asking you to think about ALL the ramifications of doing that.
    And in Basketball a basket awarded is 2 or 3 points, out of what.. 90?

Seriously, I may make myself more unpopular than I already seem to be but why dont you guys who are obsessing on this just imagine how much it would bother you if the situation was perfectly reversed?

Then let's consider the STATED objective of the World Cup. Need I explain further?

Added: Maybe I should. I would have relatively little problem with a fifa-mandated player sanction for that, even extending to the Club level.
    What would be fair... 5 Games? It would still be a judgement call but the penalty would be where it's best applied, the offending player.
    Now.. visualize it was John Pantsil who did it.

---------------------------------------------------------

We could argue separately on the negative economic impact foisted on SA by fifa.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

That's just it, 'Fog. If it were reversed, I'd be disgusted that one of my players stopped a goal so blatantly illegally. I would have no problem with a goal being awarded. Heck, if I was the goalie on a team and one of my defenders deliberately used his hand to stop a ball going in, I'd sit in the middle of the goal-line and make it clear to the penalty taker that all he had to do was hit the freakin' target; I wasn't going to stop it.

Granted, my "fair play" gene is more developed than most, but if you think a "ball on the other foot" argument is going to sway me, you're dreamin'.

Plus, to clarify, I'm not talking about every handball in the box being awarded as a goal. just one's that occur on the goal-line. The only ones I recall from this World Cup that would qualify are the Harry Kewell (AUS) hand-ball and, of course, the Uruguay one. And again, the only difference I'm recommending is that you don't award a penalty shot, you award a goal.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And how close to the goal line counts? And what if it's ball to hand and what if it's on an angle where it might have gone out otherwise... and .. and ... and...

And OF COURSE it WOULD require video replay.

Screw fair play and get on with it. I no longer care the US was screwed out of two goals.. never crosses my mind.
    Isnt that amazing?

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'fog. Refs are humans because they have the ability to make decisions. And yes, even on a ball-to-hand, I think the goal should be awarded.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree. There can be a sliding scale

a. egregious fouls like Uruguay's and "The Ginger Prince" against us: RED and automatic goal credited to the players who's shot was clawed out.

b. handball like Kewell's in World Cup [remember, arm away from body, Harry leaning towards the ball]: YELLOW and automatic goal

c. pure hand-to-ball, NO CARD, automatic goal

Now I'm only talking a situation where only the player's handling the ball kept it from going in. I'm not talking about, say, a handball on a free kick where someone in the line handles. That'll be a straight red and a penalty.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

But what happens when it didn't hit the player's hand but the ref thinks it did and awards a goal by your new rules? It could happen, Findley got a card for a ball hitting his face! As much as think it was unsportsmanlike for Suarez to handle the ball like he did, I think the current rules have to stand unless we get refs up in a booth somewhere with video replay to over rule the on field ref's bad "judgement" calls.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

It's the sort of rule that would require a high degree of certaintly. We all know that a foul in the box has to be more severe and/or the ref more certain to call it due to the result. The same would be true of the handball on the goal line. Refs, honest ones, would only call it as goal when they are certain that they saw it. And if it results in instant replay for decisions that involve a goal then I'm all for it.

FIFA needs to institute some sort of video replay technology. As it stands now you get it anyway but with a huge delay. Lorrionda from Uruguay should have been dropped as a ref international tournaments years ago, his own country's football association did so for a time. But it took the England no goal v. Germany for FIFA to decide that he was done for this WC. Say what you want but that is a form of using video technology to make decisions.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

your observation, however well considered, is not on point. We're talking about expanding the punishment for a hand ball. People are going to make bad calls in the box, but without the reform that been suggested and I've amended, the player in your scenario is still going to get a red card and a penalty will be called, even if he did save the ball with his face. This reform isn't about increasing certainty, it's about eliminating this kind of foul. Believe me, if top class pros knew that a goal would be given whether or not they intentionally handled, they'd stop.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm not sure I understand how my argument was not on point. You guys are talking about rewarding an automatic goal if the ref thinks the ball hit the players hand on the goal line, correct? I was arguing that a ref could think he saw a hand stopping a ball on the goal line but it was in fact the player's chest or face...we already saw an instance in the US v Slovenia game. The ref thought he saw a hand ball but in fact came no where near his hands. In fact the ball hit him square in the face and was punished with a yellow card and out the next game. I think there is way too much power given to the refs to throw a game already...to give them the power to automatically reward a goal is just too much IMO. I know where your reasoning is coming from...I think it is completely crap that a player can reward his team by stopping a certain goal...but I have seen way too many wtf calls this WC to begin to think some refs are not on the level. Let's face it, there is a lot of money to be made by blowing calls. I think it is fair to have a penalty called...stopping a penalty is far from certain. And if Ghana had converted the penalty would we really be talking about changing the rules? Not really because then we would think the game had a fair outcome. Well, it didn't, Ghana blew their chances...I rather the game came down to that than ref rewarding a goal that shouldn't have been.

Of course, I would be all for this rule change if there was some way to overrule this hypothetical blown call. :wink:

10. Clevelandmo

okay, time to stop talking about this because it's exactly what Seppie boy wants and why he is resisting goal line technology ( along with the fact that then he cant control the world .......... cup)

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

a-HA ... I knew Sepp Blatter being a jerk was going to turn out to be my fault. Thanks, Mo!

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Would have to think that it's time for Uruguay's carriage to turn back into a pumpkin, but this match could be very similar to the Paraguay v Spain match which was a knockdown drag out brawl. Is there enough leadership on Holland's team to not have a letdown after beating Brazil? I think the answer will be a resounding Yes.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I've recently developed a dislike for the Dutch team, considering them a bunch of diving, dirty tackling thugs, but I'll be rooting for them over the cheating slime that are Uruguay.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ap is right on it again. It's a case of the Orange Platform-diving Team versus the Little Engine that could -- but only because they stole Ghana's victory by blatant cheating.

Who to root for? Me? I'm going for Uruguay. Why? Because with The Netherlands it's like finding out that the girl I idolized all through my youth was nothing but a cheap slut all along. From the calculated foul that broke Stuart Holden's leg in a "friendly," to the despicable performances in the WC by vonBommel, they've taken every bit of the gloss off of my Johan Cruyff memories.

Heart: Uruguay 5 The Netherlands 0
    Head: Uruguay 0 The Netherlands 3

15. Clevelandmo

I found reading the last two posts by Andy and Don very satisfying.

During this WC, I've also lost my respect for Brazil and France. Cant get over Fabiano waxing on about how beautiful his double, or was it triple, handball goal was. However, I've gained tremendous respect for Paraguay, Ghana, New Zealand, and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

I dont care who wins the Uruguay v. Netherland match, I'm just hoping it goes into overtime and extra penalty kicks so they are physically and emotionally knackered when the winner gets to the finals

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Today's game is sort of like the NBA Eastern Conference Finals from 1998-2008.

It doesn't matter who wins because the real final is taking place on the other side of the bracket tomorrow -- Sunday will just be a formality.

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Only problem Timmy is Detroit, Miami, and Boston won it all during that time span. Uruguay would be a formality. However, Holland would be anything but a gimme. Germany would have to be the favorite, but Sneijder and Co. can certainly play w/Spain on any given day.

EDIT: You would think a Fulham fan would know better... It's 1-1 at the half and given his current form any team w/Diego Forlan ain't a pushover either.

18. Clevelandmo

On the Dutch offside allowed goal, if the roles had been switched, who thinks the ref would have called offside?

And what's up with Ian Darkes (?) "claiming" that what's so nice about the Netherlands team is that it has "no egos"? Was that some ironic English humour or something?

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I got to give some props to Uruguay after watching that match. They were missing key players in all three parts of the field yet they were there with a chance to send it to extra time at the end. Looking forward to tomorrow's match

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Turned out to be a very entertaining match. Only vonBommel looked like DiRossi in disguise [didn't he get TWO yellows?], and the diving was kept to a minimum [only three per player]. Uruguay showed a lot of heart. 2-3 was much more fun than I thought.

Ian Darke is a complete idiot. He even made John Harkes seem intelligent and subdued. PLEASE tell me they aren't broadcasting tomorrow's match.

timmyg: good analogy with the Eastern Conference playoffs. Still I wouldn't bet a nickel on any of the teams playing tomorrow or whoever winds up playing Holland. I do, however, think it's a joke that Holland gets a full days more rest than Germany/Spain. What idiots FIFA are -- that must be my fault also.