Watching the Word Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Cottager, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Cottager

Cottager New Member

I have seen most of the group games. I have watched the games with a host different supporters. In Vegas with the eXiles, we watched England and others start their campaign. In the Champions Sports bar in Boston with some very passionate fans, I watched the USA give every thing against Italy. Great atmosphere there. Most recently, I crossed the pond,for a couple of days. The Saint George flag was every where. On churches , houses, cars, every where. I watched from a packed pub as England beat Ecuador. The relief as Beckham put us out of our agony

The World Cup Final is only staged every 4 years, which is not surprising, the qualifying rounds for the event takes over 2 years to complete. With 207 associations affiliated to FIFA today, the world football’s governing body has rightly been dubbed the "United Nations of Football.
    The last 32 teams from around the world between them play 64 matches in 12 host cities all over Germany combine to create a celebration of the world's biggest sport. All want to be crowned World Champions at the FIFA World Cup Final to be played in Berlin on July 9th.

The game of football is truely a beautiful game. It unites people around the globe. Although you can make a good guess as to what teams will make the last four, there is always a chance of an upset. The game has probably united more people in a common cause then any politician.

I have discussed the World Cup with complete strangers. On airplanes, in bars , in fact any where there is a TV. :D

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Cottager, good post! The World Cup has been fantastic! I have been able to watch most of the matches at either home or at the Globe in Chicago and when at the Globe, the atmosphere has been electric. I have met people that I had no idea followed the sport and it has brought people together in a way very few events can.

When watching the US-Italy match, I arrived at the pub around 9AM. By 1PM, an hour before the US match was to begin, the pub was packed and there was a line a block down the road to get in. I had no idea so many people cared. There is hope in this country that the sport can succeed.

As for how people in other countries are enjoying the event, I can only imagine. My fiancee is in Poland right now and she told how things were going there. Despite Poland having a disappointing run in the Cup, the excitement and anticipation in the country was and still is there.

The World Cup is great! The best sporting event on this planet!

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Cottager! Where ya been for the last year?

Hey, I'm no longer a striker! In the 60s I was a striker for two seasons. I figured after being a Fulham striker, I'd do what I did then -- Fulham midfielder, Fulham sweeper, Fulham limping guy.

Sigh

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Cottager, so give us an insight in to how Vegas went!

You gotta love the world cup though, I was in Boston for the first England match and even got to see a few Fulham fans in the process. Atmosphere was great.

The only problem is that the good soccer bars are usually packed out which, if you're not early, causes some problems! All for the beautiful game though.