Watching Scottie Grow

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Nov 26, 2020.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sorry for the sachrine ear-worm -- and if you don't know what I'm talking about, congratulate yourselves.

Everywhere in Fulham land the knives are out for our gaffer. On Facebook, I've stopped trying to be the voice of reason, but FUSA? It's home.

So, here goes: I can think of only one decision he has made in terms of team selection that has been out of line. He certainly couldn't have expected Mitro's slide, nor the penalty miss by Lookman. The third penalty miss? That's the "one decision I was talking about.

So, I asked myself this question: given the squad that Scott Parker has, is there anyone who believes that it SHOULD be a top-half team? Really? If anyone looked at the squad that began the season and said, confidently, "we'll have no relegation danger this season" we'd all quietly wonder where we could score what they're smoking.

So, if the talent in our squad BELONGS in the bottom half, why is our current league position Parker's fault? We're in a 5-team mini-league in which we have to finish no lower than 4th.

Now, let us go back two years ago. We were woeful and overmatched. So we changed coaches. What happened then? We spent the first 6 or 7 matches watching the new gaffer experiment with players he didn't know anything about, and more disaster followed.

Where am I going? Here, actually. If you have a squad whose collective talent belongs in the bottom half of the table, firing the coach for poor results a quarter of the way through the season seems silly to me. We need to keep Parker at least through mid-season. The good news is that we have a BETTER squad now than we did the last time we were promoted.

So, if you think Parker's the problem, that's cool. I'm just wondering what you thought this season would look like. Have a look through the history books and see how third-place promoted sides have done.

SoCalJoe, MicahMan, nevzter and 4 others like this.
  2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I agree Don. I came into the season knowing the best I could hope for is not having to be relegated. My expectations have not changed.

3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Here is what I said back on September 28 after Fulham was beaten soundly by Aston Villa for the third straight loss of the season:
    At that point Fulham hadn't yet brought in Andersen, Adarabioyo, Aina, Loftus-Cheek, Lemina, or Lookman (Robinson was on the bench, but had not played yet for Fulham). Immediately prior to the comment above I made the argument that Fulham's troubles were due to poor player recruitment. I said "Fulham doesn't have good enough players for the Premier League and that isn't likely to change in the remaining week of the transfer window." Well it did change. Six guys were brought in who have started since then, four of them are regulars now. Combined with Robinson's introduction, essentially Fulham has changed half the squad since the Aston Villa match. Those were significant and positive changes that I did not think would happen. They should have happened way earlier, but better late than never.

So, I'm willing to give Parker a chance now because we have seen signs that Fulham might be good enough to stay up with its current make up. The odds still aren't great, but they seem a whole lot better than two months ago.

Sadly, while looking up info for this comment, I realized I had missed Burnley's win back on Monday that put Fulham back into the relegation zone. :(

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I didn’t like his tactics and formation the first four weeks when they were decidedly overmatched, but he’s gotten them to be much more competitive since reinforcements arrived. I’m also not a fan of his toothless possession style of play.

But the decision shouldn’t center around keeping the team up. It should be based on who can guide them to a bounce back promotion next year, and Parker has already shown he can do that. As long as the team can stay competitive, regardless of result, I’d stick with Scott and build some stability. Who knows, maybe his approach evolves in that time and he can be a long term solution.

5. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Parker is improving. I thought a few weeks ago that replacing him was our only possible move, but I have changed my mind. He has more to work with now, and has shown he can use quality players properly. (I hope Andersen and Adarabioyo stay healthy so we don't have to see Le Marchand again.) Parker should get this entire season, baring some spell of madness.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

...plus, it'll cost more this time around to pry Ranieri from Sampdoria...