VP debate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

. . . and eight years ago people neglected the fact that Gore could often be awkward just like they are neglecting the same about Biden today. So yes, I predict Palin will do better than expected and Biden will do worse.

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Completely wrong.

I thought Palin was capable of more but apparently not. She started off shaky but got better. I just wasnt that impressed.

I thought Biden did well, despite resorting to the politics of blaming the financial meltdown on Bush. I used to see him a lot on CSPAN while I was doing renovation projects on my house and found him to be an obnoxious grandstander. He wasnt that at all last night; he was very easy to stomach for once. I also did not know that he had to raise his two boys alone for a while after his wife and daughter were killed in an accident.

3. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I thought Biden did awesome last night. I wasn’t his biggest fan in the past, but he impressed me a lot.

I had hoped Palin would crash and burn, but that did not happen. She did well overall, and there were only a few awkward moments. She made up for the Couric interview.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

On Base Style Points, Biden won.

As noted on several blogs:
    "Biden had an easy command of the facts, though his facts were mostly bullshit"

There will not be an MSM parse of Biden's statements but maybe a few.
    She starteed VERY nervous - for her- and got more at ease as it went on.

Concensus: 'Beat the Spread'

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I agree that Palin "beat the spread", but I would also add that she strengthened, rather than weakened, the argument that she's not ready to be VP; the answers to the "role of the VP" questions were very telling.

6. pettyfog

Andy.. did Joe get it right? In the context in which he answered.

Let's put it this way... YouTube is full of Biden bullshit clips.

What I noted was his 'energy take'... where he mentioned Obama and he were going to push for both nuclear and clean coal options.

Since when? since Palin. There's clips where they both disavow both options.

Prediction:
    Palin's obvious populist image and common sense will sway the undecideds toward McCain for a while, then folks will start thinking about 'Gravitas' and worry whether their own 'common sense' take on what's happening is correct.
    So it will swing back toward Obama/Biden.

So the only REAL result of that debate is to seal Sarah's future in national politics.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don't discount Palin's folksy performance. It plays with a large segment of the public, just look at Bush's debates. That said, I think Biden won, but it really comes down to what you're looking for or what side you're on. I'll give Palin credit for rising from the ashes somewhat as she is an asset for McCain in rallying the base.

Either way, while it had the potential to make for interesting theater (I found it pretty boring in actuality), VP debates have virtually no effect on the election.

On a side note, why in the world do McCain/Palin refuse to refute the other side labeling the bailout a rep caused problem with Raines as an Obama advisor. There was talk at one point of him doing jail time over his role in that mess.

8. pettyfog

Because it hits too close to home {congress}. McCain has to tread easy in case he actually does win.

That's why McCain is warring with MSM rather than the Dems in the beltway. He has to take an indirect offensive.

Aside: Look what Harry Reid just did. He just burnt insurance stocks. He has an out because he didnt name the company and can say he just meant AIG, but why didnt he SAY AIG?

- - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - -

Early TV ratings: up 30% over Obama/McCain

Makes sense.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'fog. The "undecideds" I'm talking to were actually put off by her "cutesy/folksy" attitude. She just doesn't come across as executive material. PTA President? sure. President of the Senate? Responsible for presenting and selling the president's plan to the Legistlature? Not even close.

I was hoping, really hoping, that she had another gear, where she could put aside the soccer-mom thing and come across as professional and competant when she needed to. She didn't.

10. pettyfog

Well, then.... they arent alone. I've heard that several places... 'I like her because she's just like us..but...I couldnt be vice president!"

Uh.. yes. LOTS of people COULD BE vice President. OR President!
    It hasnt a fucking thing to do with where you went to school, not a WHOLE lot to do with your management resume, a LOT to do with using common sense -based on history- and knowing how to pick good advice and advisors.

Harry Truman wouldnt stand a chance!

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Or as John Adams said:

12. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Actually, my wife was one of the ones that was more turned onto her after last night.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Another tidbit I'd forgotten about. Can the Republican party not find a candidate capable of properly saying nu-cle-ar?

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

When they do, I'll get back to ya

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Capt. Tenille: Simpson, as you have experience in a nuclear power plant, you can serve on a submarine.
    Homer: It's pronounced 'nucular'. Nucular.

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Fog, I am surprised you haven't been stronger on how many things Biden said that were 'out and out' BS. He only sounded like he knew what he was talking about as any multi-decade career politician should but he was wrong on his facts may times.

And why don't you libs drop the tired old Repubs are stupid routine, it is tiring, beat up and old. Geez.......

17. pettyfog

Why bother... Some were gaffes, some were outright stupid.
    Dunno WHICH "US andFrance kicked Hizbollah out of Lebanon" was

But I noticed that wasnt in the two MSM 'factchecks' I saw. So why bother

If Sarah had offered then up, she'd be out of the team.

CNN has a transcript. I tmust no tbe complete though.

I'm still waiting to see what she said about VP duties that was so worrisome.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RR, I didn't see any quotes about Palin "being stupid." I saw several references to her lacking experience, though. I've characterized Palin over and over as tough and smart. I don't think she's experienced enough to be president -- in that eventuality -- and I don't think she's aware of the amount of crap she's going to have to learn to master [just in case] once she becomes vp.

I am a little concerned about the judgment of some Republican presidents and presidential candidates.
    GHW Bush considered Clarence Thomas "the most qualified SC candidate regardless of race."
    GHW Bush considered Dan Quayle "the most qualified person to join my ticket."
    GW Bush considered Harriet Myers "the most qualified SC candidate."
    And now McCain believes the same of Palin?

So, nobody's calling anybody stupid here -- inexperienced, inexplicable, questionable in judgment, perhaps. There's plenty of that to go around in both major parties though. Relax.

19. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Don, appreciate your response. I am really addressing the meme's that I have heard over the last 30 years, really starting with Ford, that every Republican candidate has been effectively considered dumb or of lower IQ. Ford, Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2 have all been saddled with this has part of the private conversations of the left....a sort of lefty whisper campaign if you will.

To me the quip about the Nuclear thing is just a manifistation of the same thing.

Poor judgement is not a unique feature of a single party, it is, in many forms, merely a perspective you may have about a decision.....of course sometimes it is clearly bad judgement, that being said, the Dems prove daily their poor judgement but many of you neglect to bring it up.

Palin is better suited for the VP job than Biden. The reason you all like Obama is because he is fresh......isn't that exactly what she is? Doesn't she have as much Political experience as he? Careful not to be hypocritical here.

Oh......COYW!!!!!!!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think Obama is as qualified as McCain. I've beens saying that for months.

Hey, Dempsey is starting today!