Video Replay?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Are you in Favor of Video Replay? if so, in which form?

1. Yes, but only to determine whether or not a ball crossed the goal line.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, include video review of the penalty box (to determine a pk or not) along with the goal line rev

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, human error is part of the game, and the flow of the game will be ruined by stoppages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, microchip technology inside the ball and the on the goal line is the way to go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Anyone who has seen either the photo or the actual video of the Reading/Watford match in which the ball was a good five feet outside of the post had to be astounded on how the lineman and more importantly the referee could miss something so badly.

Last night on FFF the main topic was whether or not the match itself should be replayed. While I'm not in favor of that, in today's video age shouldn't an error of that proportion be corrected?

2. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I voted for the video replay, but did think of another possible idea. How about using a goal judge like the NHL uses. His only job is to watch the the net. That way it would not interfere with the flow of play. Ball goes in and the goal judge raises a flag or turns on a light. Seems pretty simple.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I want an extra official (i.e., 2 on the pitch) and video replay of the goal-line. I would go for the ball-chip, but fear the first time video instant replay in the broadcast booth disputes its ruling.

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i voted no only because I think the 4th official should be consulted on something like that. he's standing at midfield and should be able to see if the ball went into the goalmouth or outside of it.

5. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

omsdogg. The bigger issue isn't the Reading-Watford issue, but the Fulham-West Ham issue - the ball barely crossing the goal line rather than missing the goal entirely.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

You have the technology and given the importance and lack of frequency with which these incidents come up, I imagine the gains would drastically outweigh the little bit of time lost in the grand scheme of things. Should be a pretty easy call more often than not. It seems like a no-brainer to me and I'm surprised there's as much fuss against instant replay on disputed goals as there has been.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sorry... using the eyes of #4, alone, is not the answer. Ever WATCH the 4th?

vidcam and DVR technology is cheap. Everytime the ball goes near the goal mouth, OR on pk's, easy enough for the 4th to rewind 15 secs and watch it.