Varsity Boat Race

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Apr 3, 2010.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Another year goes by and Cambridge have won the Vasity Boat Race. I'm not sure why I watch 18 well off bods row for 20 minutes along the cold brown waters of the Thames. Although the Areial shot of Craven Cottage 2 minutes in is always a draw. History encourages us to do daft things and up to 250,000 people will have lined the route to watch the race.

As has become the custom, both teams featured a number of Americans. Oxford started strong, having won the toss and taking the Surrey station (opposite side of the river to the Cottage) but Cambridge (on the Middlesex station) clung on round the outside of the Hammersmith bend before pulling it back to win by a couple of lenghts.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Known as a classic event for freakin ever, even to a midwest farm kid like me.

Even lots of upper - middles in Columbus are schoolboy crew. My nephew, for 4 years.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This event is one of the few things I really wanted to do in almost 10 years of living in England that I never got around to.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Be proud of the tradition -- even as a kid in small town Ohio, this was a tradition that I read about and thought that it was cool. Thanks for the report.