USMNT v. Mexico, August 12th

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Jul 29, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I have a final that day, right after class. Which one will win out? To be continued...

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Mexico is going down down down

in a burning

ching of Fire

3. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

I'm looking for some help from any DirecTV subscribers here. I have to work late tomorrow (Weds) and so I need to tivo this game. I tried to set it up last night, but without success.

I usually go through the channel guide to set the tivo...just browse the guide to find the show I want, highlight it and hit the record button. Done.

But I cannot get my guide to display this damn MUN2 channel. I know its on channel 410. I've set my guide options to display "all channels." But when I try to select channel 410, the guide won't let me. It jumps to channel 421. It simply won't display any channels from about 390 to 420.

Any help from more tech savvy DirecTV subscribers would be greatly appreciated.

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

JP, have you tried looking at the channel guide online and setting to record from directv.com? I just looked and it does show up.

5. Clevelandmo

JPL, online I see Mun2 as channel 410. However, my direct TV guide is showing that Mun2 is on chanel 203 and they are listing the US - Mexico match. So I'm assuming that 203 is a channel that all DirectTV subscribers get and they have set up the free veiwing on that channel. Hope that helps - I'm new to DirectTV and still trying to figure it all out.

6. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Thanks, MO. I see on the DirecTV website that the match as being aired on both 203 AND 410. When I get home tonight, I'll bet I'm going to find that channel 203 is available on my guide grid. When I see that, I'll give a big sigh of relief.

Also, FYI, ESPN is doing a pre-game and a post-game show. Both of these shows will be broadcast live from outside Azteca Stadium. For ESPN to be going through all that expense, they must have really wanted to broadcast this game. What a shame NBC wouldn't sell it to them.

7. Clevelandmo

I dont know if anyone saw Wynalda on Fox Phone In last night but he basically said the US doesnt have a chance in hell of winning. Said the best that we coulld hope for was that it rains and we get a point. He predicted a 2- nil US defeat. Always liked Wynalda but I have no use for opinions like that.

BTW, checked the forcast. It is 64 degrees in Mexico City with thunderstorms predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Things are falling into place.

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Were you thinking you don't get that channel? It's ch 247 here.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

rock 'n roll, Matt! That's music to my ears.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

But Wynalda wasn't trashing the USA from a talent standpoint but was more discussing the lack of climate acclimation. It was a bit morose, but also a sobering reality.

(Anyone else sorta enjoy EW on FFF? If only it was him and Cohen, not the nice guy but chameleon Webby..)

11. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not sure why Wynalda is being that negative about it, but I'm also not sure why it seems like a lot of fans are convinced that we're going to win this time, especially in view of the hammering we took in San Jose. We have never won there. It is smoggy and at altitude and hostile. And if we lose, it's not the end of the world, and we'll probably still qualify.

And on the other hand, Mexico kind of needs a win here or Aguirre gets fired and the players get crucified in the media and they risk falling into fifth place more than halfway through the Hex, with their next qualifier in San Jose.

In short, their backs are to the wall, and ours aren't, and I think we need to temper expectations. We might win, and it'd be awesome if we did, but let's temper our expectations. I think that's what Wynalda is trying to do too, but we all know that putting things mildly has never been his strong suit.

12. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Really well said, Josh.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Enjoyed, but was watching the replay, so fell asleep while it was in progress. I hope he is "'avin' a pint" before every taping!

14. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Just found that station on my cable. I'll have to watch a DVR of it -- I cannot get away from a final and group project that have incredibly bad timing. I'll be avoiding all media for severaly hours tomorrow.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Yeah, I think if you gave it another listen you may come away with a different impression. He completely based it on the conditions at Azteca and even said, if they lose, don't freak on Bradley and it's no measure of the talent on the US side.

I thought some of his takes on specific US players and Bradley were pretty interesting. Webster came in ready to completely slag the whole side and having EW there to bring the other perspective made for an interesting couple of segments. Certainly better than if it had been Cohen and Nick. They'd have disparaged the side with a quick flyover, and then spent over an hour on the Community Shield match.

I'd written this show off last year, but from what I saw last night I'm willing to give it a few chances. And that's all due to Wynalda.

16. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

MO, I found the game on my DirecTV guide last night (at 203) so I'm all set. Like SteveM, I'll be avoiding all media from 3:00 p.m. on today.

17. Clevelandmo

FulhamAg you are right. Wynalda had a purpose to what he was saying. It's just I'm in no danger of freaking on Bradley or the boys if they dont win. For me as a fan, if you say we cant win then what's the point of even discussing or watching. The team thinks they can win and they are deserving of a little more discussion of how they can win - other than the weather. BTW, forecast still showing a chance of rain and the satellite shows Mexico City in the path of some storms.

Come On You Red White and Blues!!!!!!!!!!!

18. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Dempsey & USMNT

Filip Bondy of the NY Daily News has a column todayabout the national team and (mostly) Dempsey today. Thought you folks would be interested.

19. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Dempsey & USMNT

I'm super excited for this game. I'm leaving work a little early and then heading down to the bar for the game. Then I'm having a bit of a double header as I head to Busch Stadium for the cards vs. reds. I'm 0-7 at baseball games this year, so with a little luck I can see two bad streaks broken today.

20. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

RE: Dempsey & USMNT

Which bar you goin' to, Brad? I'm 99% sure I can't get out of work, but just in case...