USMNT v. Guatemala

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Roster has been named...and what the hell does Kenny Cooper have to do to get another look?

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan.

DEFENDERS: Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Heath Pearce, Steve Cherundolo, Frankie Hejduk, Jay DeMerit.

MIDFIELDERS: Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan, Pablo Mastroeni, Eddie Lewis.

FORWARDS: Landon Donovan, Eddie Johnson, Brian Ching, Clint Dempsey.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

esp instead of Ching.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mostly European lineup, indicating a Euro-league shutdown for international duty. Only Hejduk, Edu, Kljestan, Mastroeni, Lewis, Dovonan, and Ching from the MLS. Perhaps FC Dallas will be in too critical a position to let a player go on a weekend when there'll be matches.

All things being equal, however, he should get chosen before Ching -- especially with South Africa 2010 in mind.

When's the match?

4. nevzter

Aug. 20, 8 p.m. MT, at Estadio Mateo Flores in Guatemala City and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2 and Galavision.

5. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

This is one thing that bothers me about the USMNT. We have never really had a good attack. Our mid to late 90's teams were the closest I can think of.

So why in the WORLD do we keep sending the likes of Brian Ching? I've yet to see him do anything. I can't even think of a goal I've seen him score, national team or otherwise. And Duece is not a forward. Poor guy keeps being put there because we can't seem to find anything else.

If this is our lineup for the main chunk of WC qualifying, I fear we may not see South Africa come 2010.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

interesting...only Heath Pearce is a natural LB...Boca can play there, although we all remember...gulp....the Ghana gaff!. Glad to see the Cheesehead in the squad and personally I'm happy to see Eddie Lewis included. The old man can still play. I wish Steve Ralston would get a call up. He's having a great year for New England and I spoke with him after they played RSL here in Salt Lake City and said as much to him. His response was classic..."I'm getting too old for that stuff!" Anyways, looking forward to getting our World Cup Campaign going.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

From Dispatch:
    Carroll and Rogers may be alternates. Other two have been called. All are starters.

So..... THWD!

8. sublicon

sublicon New Member

Re: RE: USMNT v. Guatemala

If Dempsey and Ching are up front, goals will be scored. I haven't seen that duo together since the Gold Cup.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

RE: Re: RE: USMNT v. Guatemala

Ching is in there because he's effective, can hold the ball up, and defenders dont want to play against him. He's scored 7 goals in 27 games for the US (and I doubt many of those were starts).

I can understand why people would make the case for Cooper, Buddle, Altidore and a few others but Ching does get the job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31UwfIb ... re=related

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

He had two against Barbados a couple months ago.....granted I could have scored against them (probably not).

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Altidore, Adu, and the many of the other non-MLS Olympic players weren't picked. Our Olympic fiasco has already cost them valuable training time with their clubs, so Bradley has his eye on that.

Speaking of Bradley, could the son try and show a little discipline? There was no excuse for his yellows, Adu's yellows, or Orozco's red. With all the carping about how we're not respected around the world, the incredible lack of discipline continually showed by our U-21 squad is not doing us any good.

12. nevzter

I must say that M.B.'s yellow cards in the olympics were very soft...the 2nd was due to 'time wasting' and the first should've never been called in the first place.

Aside from that, I agree that discipline is lacking, and lacking in a tremendous way.

Discipline and more technical ability are the only things debilitating this group of players.

13. Clevelandmo

The Beas has been added to the squad

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and I'm pleased about that. I'm thinking that he's a more logical left-side MF starter with Heath Pearce at LB. Eddie Lewis can back up both positions.

This will be the 2nd or 3rd free Wednesday night I've had all year. I'm looking forward to the match.

---------------- Howard ----------------------------

'dolo ---------- Gooch --------------- Boca ----- Pearce

Dempsey --------- Edu -------------- Bradley ----- Da Beas

------------ Donovan ------------- EJ -----------------

Guatemala is no walk in the park on their patch. We need to play as if we're facing Argentina again.

"I want to announce my presence with authority," Nook LaLoosh

Guat 0 USA 3

15. jmh

jmh New Member

I have to imagine it'll be much closer than that. I'm thinking 2-1 to the USMNT. Carlos Ruiz scores for Guatemala, in between Boca or Gooch knocking home a corner and Demps or Beas or EJ netting a winner. Donovan to assist on both, as long as I'm making unnecessarily specific predictions. Maybe one of the speedy guys (Landon, EJ, DMB) will net an insurance goal late, but that's the only way I can see us getting to 3.

16. Clevelandmo

I would start Ching up front with Donovan - a strong man and a small speedster. If we're throwing out predictions, I say Ching will be the hero.

17. nevzter

I harbor a positive-bias for Ching b/c of the Quake connection...and until somebody else proves they can score (Cooper! Cooper !! Cooper!!!), he's as good as any to start up top in my book.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Dempsey can score. EJ can score. (I mean, maybe only in WCQs, but that's what this is, right?)

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

As awesome as that would be - having seen the US play against Argentina on that fateful night - I don't think a repeat is in store. The crowd will be 100% hostile to our team, the Guatemalans will likely play something resembling a 8-1-1, and even if the Guatemalan squad played the proverbial Beautiful & Sexy Soccer - it ain't the same as playing against an all-star squad like Argentina.

This is going to be some ugly game and I will be glad with a win regardless.

20. nevzter

i believe jmh's good juju will see that they both score today (on the pitch that is, and not as used in the vernacular of wilt the stilt.)